Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I traded in my Suburban in for a new car.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I traded in my Suburban in for a new car.

Last Thursday, I bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe SE. It gets 27/37 mpg (32 combined) versus the 10 mpg (combined) that I averaged on the '94 Suburban.

The car is loaded to the gills for the price (sunroof, heated seats, satellite radio, leather seats, 17 inch low profile tires......). I needed a  car that I could drive in the winter and gets great gas mileage. The Suburban was rear wheel drive as well as my other cars, a Camaro and a Toyota pickup truck. The front wheel drive Elantra has traction control so it's great on icy/snowy roads.

The only thing that chaps my ass about the deal was that the Suburban's 42 gallon tank was full.:catmad: I got a full tank and about $2500 in various rebates so I'm not too cat mad.

Not mine but exact color and trim level.

elantra coupe se

Attached Files
    member of the sg army

in rock n roll alliance with the mazi bee militia

May of last year I bought a hyundia veloster for my wife, she has a 35 mile round trip commute ( not huge  miles but enough). I started looking at cars about a 2 months before and then I took her out to look at cars. She was all set to buy a Honda Fit Sport, until she drove it, and hated it. 

Totally disgusted at looking at cars, after 30 minutes. I said let take a walk over to the Hyundia dealership. In the lot there was a few of them. She took the car around the dealership parking lot and said this is the cars I want. We spent a few hours with the salesman to make sure we got everything we wanted on the car. I put down 100 bucks so they could search for a black one with package #2 on it.  Our original sales guy left and never called us, but finaly we got a call and someone asked us if we were still interested in the car. I told them we were waiting for one for one to come in and they actually ended up going to Long Island to get us one.

It's a 6 speed manual, cuase we live in a small rual area and we like to shift and it's no problem for us.

My wife loves the car, absolutely loves it. It was getting 40 plus mpg on her commute to work. One day on a longer trip down route 91 here in MA I pulled into the parking lot with an averge 57 mpg.

Around the time I purchased it, I heard about a turbo version that was to come out by the summer. I have had a turbo car before and they are nice. My wife said she wanted this one and didn't need the extra horse and snap of the turbo. Fine and dandy.

The car is not  what I would call super fast, but just perfext for rolling down the highway and or buzzing around town.

The deal is it's winter here in MA and the plans were my wife would take my Nissan Xterra to work for safety in the winter, cause you never know and I would do what I could in the winter with the Veloster. I was also gonna get winter tires and rims, but between the details on rim off sets and looks, I never made the move on anything. So far no issues at all, getting around in small snow storms. I'm not gonna say it's awesoem in the deeps snow, becuase I have really no idea. A born and breed New Englander I can drive just about anything in the winter, even something will bald tires, which I have done.

So in a month or so, after the bad weather breaks, my wife gets back her baby. She says just about everyday how much she loves and misses that car. 

One thing we did is ordered the black seats. When the car came in it had the grey seats, which really was a blessing. The top is all glass with a sun room, the ac is soild. Blue tooth, Sirius radio, 18" rims, on high pressure low profile tires ( that how they get like 40 plus mpg). Rides a lil stiff and the steering was weird if you ask me. I am total used to it now.

I put gas in in in mid Nov and didn't do another fill up to early Jan, and I have done one more fill up since. We now have 5600 miles on it.

During the super cool days, it was not getting 40 mpg, no my small trip to work. Between the warm up and short drive, I was looking at more like 20 mpg. Now it's back up to about 27mpg.  I was even given a  notification by Hyundia that the care was not performing as well mpg wise as claimed on the web site, and we will be getting a gas card to make up the difference ( for life too). Since we have hardly have any miles on the car, the dealship said you might as well wait. 

We have a couple of bulletin notices, one has to do with the temper of the glass sun roof and the other is a software up date for the clock which was at one time way off. I think they fixed that trough blue link, but there  still an update. No hurry the dealership said, come in when ya can.

The price was about 20-21k for the car.

I thought I had a foto of the car on my pc, but I could not find it.

It's just like this

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/68566986.jpg

Attached Files
    Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

• planteater-X
      planteater-X commented
      Editing a comment

We bought a new Elantra back in 2002. Still got it.

• guitarman
      guitarman commented
      Editing a comment

Mikeo wrote:

May of last year I bought a hyundia veloster for my wife, she has a 35 mile round trip commute ( not huge  miles but enough). I started looking at cars about a 2 months before and then I took her out to look at cars. She was all set to buy a Honda Fit Sport, until she drove it, and hated it. 

Totally disgusted at looking at cars, after 30 minutes. I said let take a walk over to the Hyundia dealership. In the lot there was a few of them. She took the car around the dealership parking lot and said this is the cars I want. We spent a few hours with the salesman to make sure we got everything we wanted on the car. I put down 100 bucks so they could search for a black one with package #2 on it.  Our original sales guy left and never called us, but finaly we got a call and someone asked us if we were still interested in the car. I told them we were waiting for one for one to come in and they actually ended up going to Long Island to get us one.

It's a 6 speed manual, cuase we live in a small rual area and we like to shift and it's no problem for us.

My wife loves the car, absolutely loves it. It was getting 40 plus mpg on her commute to work. One day on a longer trip down route 91 here in MA I pulled into the parking lot with an averge 57 mpg.

Around the time I purchased it, I heard about a turbo version that was to come out by the summer. I have had a turbo car before and they are nice. My wife said she wanted this one and didn't need the extra horse and snap of the turbo. Fine and dandy.

The car is not  what I would call super fast, but just perfext for rolling down the highway and or buzzing around town.

The deal is it's winter here in MA and the plans were my wife would take my Nissan Xterra to work for safety in the winter, cause you never know and I would do what I could in the winter with the Veloster. I was also gonna get winter tires and rims, but between the details on rim off sets and looks, I never made the move on anything. So far no issues at all, getting around in small snow storms. I'm not gonna say it's awesoem in the deeps snow, becuase I have really no idea. A born and breed New Englander I can drive just about anything in the winter, even something will bald tires, which I have done.

So in a month or so, after the bad weather breaks, my wife gets back her baby. She says just about everyday how much she loves and misses that car. 

One thing we did is ordered the black seats. When the car came in it had the grey seats, which really was a blessing. The top is all glass with a sun room, the ac is soild. Blue tooth, Sirius radio, 18" rims, on high pressure low profile tires ( that how they get like 40 plus mpg). Rides a lil stiff and the steering was weird if you ask me. I am total used to it now.

I put gas in in in mid Nov and didn't do another fill up to early Jan, and I have done one more fill up since. We now have 5600 miles on it.

During the super cool days, it was not getting 40 mpg, no my small trip to work. Between the warm up and short drive, I was looking at more like 20 mpg. Now it's back up to about 27mpg.  I was even given a  notification by Hyundia that the care was not performing as well mpg wise as claimed on the web site, and we will be getting a gas card to make up the difference ( for life too). Since we have hardly have any miles on the car, the dealship said you might as well wait. 

We have a couple of bulletin notices, one has to do with the temper of the glass sun roof and the other is a software up date for the clock which was at one time way off. I think they fixed that trough blue link, but there  still an update. No hurry the dealership said, come in when ya can.

The price was about 20-21k for the car.

I thought I had a foto of the car on my pc, but I could not find it.

It's just like this

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/68566986.jpg

I lived in Korea for a year in the mid 80's and I've seen what those Hyundai cars can do on the crappy, muddy rural roads of Korea. It's amazing how dependable and well built they were back then so I have absolutely no reservations about buying one now.

The blower fan in the Suburban gave out and the A/C hasn't worked for over a year now and it was time to get rid of it. It became a money pit and I really hated filling the 42 gallon gas tank especially with the truck only averaging 10 mpg hwy. 

After I gave my son the Xterra, I only had rear wheel drive cars left for myself. My wife has an all wheel drive Lancer and that Lancer is a monster on snow. So, I had to get a winter vehicle for myself.

With all the possible options, the car stickered close to $24k but I bought the car for $21k out the door without the trade.

The car only has 148 horses to push it's 2700 pound body. It's far from neck breaking fast but it gets the job done and I'm averaging over 31 mpg mixed driving. The exhaust has a nice little rumble and the car's suspension is 'sport tuned' so it's a blast to putt around town in it.  For the money and me, it's the biggest bang for the buck especially with the warranty.

Attached Files

guitarman wrote:

Last Thursday, I bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe SE. It gets 27/37 mpg (32 combined) versus the 10 mpg (combined) that I averaged on the '94 Suburban.

The car is loaded to the gills for the price (sunroof, heated seats, satellite radio, leather seats, 17 inch low profile tires......). I needed a  car that I could drive in the winter and gets great gas mileage. The Suburban was rear wheel drive as well as my other cars, a Camaro and a Toyota pickup truck. The front wheel drive Elantra has traction control so it's great on icy/snowy roads.

The only thing that chaps my ass about the deal was that the Suburban's 42 gallon tank was full.:catmad: I got a full tank and about $2500 in various rebates so I'm not too cat mad.

elantra coupe se

Why do you hate America?

Attached Files
    Workin' for the man with money in his hand.

Comment

• Mikeo
      Mikeo commented
      Editing a comment

hammergjh wrote:

guitarman wrote:

elantra coupe se

Why do you hate America?

Check out the new Hyundia manufacturing plant in Alabama

http://www.hmmausa.com/wp-content/gallery/cache/277\_\_960x447\_manufacturing-process.jpg

The Hyundai Genesis, named the 2009North American Car of the Year.

The 6th Generation Hyundai Sonata was awarded 'Top Safety Pick' from Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) in theUnited States.

The Hyundai Elantra was crowned North American Car of the Year at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show.

Hyundai America Technical Center moved to its new 200,000-square-foot (19,000 m2), $117 million headquarters in Superior Township, Michigan (near Ann Arbor) in 2005. Later that same year, HATCI announced that it would be expanding its technical operations in Michigan and hiring 600 additional engineers and other technical employees over a period of five years. The center also has employees in California and Alabama.

I tried to get my wife to look at the Ford Focus 5 door too, but she was sold on the Veloster.

http://assets.clickmotive.com//forddig/Ford/Focus/2013/BP3TT-FULL-EXT/Image[\_Ford\_Focus\_2013\_1\_1.\_.P3N..UH..882.59M.89W.  585.64F.43M.44W.HAT.TAT.]/EXT/1/vehicle.png?w=764

Attached Files

Working...
X