No announcement yet.

Getting Old

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Old

I don't much care for it. I think I may have figured out why.

You see, I don't know how to get old. I don't know who I'm supposed to be. I don't really want to stop having sex, though that decision seems to have mostly been made for me. I don't want to stop eating, but it seems I have to slow down tremendously. I feel as though I'm eating only half of what I used to, or less, yet I'm gaining weight. Same with drinking. Even playing gigs kicks my ass in ways it never did before.

But what to do? When I was young, there seemed to be an old person lifestyle, that one could ease into, playing bridge or pinochle with friends, watching the game on weekends (whichever game happened to be on), spoiling the grandchildren, and so on. None of those seem like viable options to me at this point. Maybe I shouldn't have quit working, I dunno.

"The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
    -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
    -- Theodore White

isaac42 wrote:

You see, I don't know how to get old. I don't know who I'm supposed to be. I don't really want to stop having sex, though that decision seems to have mostly been made for me. I don't want to stop eating, but it seems I have to slow down tremendously. I feel as though I'm eating only half of what I used to, or less, yet I'm gaining weight. Same with drinking. Even playing gigs kicks my ass in ways it never did before.

But what to do? When I was young, there seemed to be an old person lifestyle, that one could ease into, playing bridge or pinochle with friends, watching the game on weekends (whichever game happened to be on), spoiling the grandchildren, and so on. None of those seem like viable options to me at this point. Maybe I shouldn't have quit working, I dunno.

you are not alone. our metabolism slows, so go for a walk. a long walk every day if possible. in the woods where the squirrels, deer, coyotes, lions and tigers and bears oh my, live.

Comment

• El Cruncho
      El Cruncho commented
      Editing a comment

Don't go for walks in the wood like keetee says. The animals will smell that you're old and slow and eat you.

isaac42 wrote:

I feel pretty much the way you do but I have a 17 year old son that keeps me young minded. I have to constantly keep outwitting him and that keeps my mind young. Once my son finishes college, I can start to think about retirement. I'll be 50 by then. Is that too early to retire? I dunno.

My body is old and  not what it used to be. I used to abuse my body with alcohol and a few hours sleep and I'd still be able to run a few miles the next day with very little effort. I could make love literally all night long and go to work the next day. Nowadays, if I don't have leg cramps while I'm having sex, I'm happy. Also, I need a full 8 hours of sleep a night if I want to function the next day especially if I have sex the night before. 

My waistline is pathetic and I compensate those sad feelings by buying expensive toys. I'm far from poor but I can't afford to live this way. I have to slap myself and face reality. I'm old and I have to accept it. 

Isaac, you and I are two peas in a pod and if you lived in Illinois, I'm sure we could be good 'real world' friends, we could have a 'bromance' and have old dude adventures together.

member of the sg army

in rock n roll alliance with the mazi bee militia

Comment

• isaac42
      isaac42 commented
      Editing a comment

guitarman wrote:

I feel pretty much the way you do but I have a 17 year old son that keeps me young minded. I have to constantly keep outwitting him and that keeps my mind young. Once my son finishes college, I can start to think about retirement. I'll be 50 by then. Is that too early to retire? I dunno.

My body is old and  not what it used to be. I used to abuse my body with alcohol and a few hours sleep and I'd still be able to run a few miles the next day with very little effort. I could make love literally all night long and go to work the next day. Nowadays, if I don't have leg cramps while I'm having sex, I'm happy. Also, I need a full 8 hours of sleep a night if I want to function the next day especially if I have sex the night before. 

My waistline is pathetic and I compensate those sad feelings by buying expensive toys. I'm far from poor but I can't afford to live this way. I have to slap myself and face reality. I'm old and I have to accept it. 

Isaac, you and I are two peas in a pod and if you lived in Illinois, I'm sure we could be good 'real world' friends, we could have a 'bromance' and have old dude adventures together.

I could take up the fiddle, and we could indulge in sax and violins!

• nice keetee
      nice keetee commented
      Editing a comment

guitarman wrote:

isaac42 wrote:

:catwink: and :cathappy:

• Voltan
      Voltan commented
      Editing a comment

guitarman wrote:

isaac42 wrote:

i feel very pretty after reading this...  

so very pretty...

isaac42 wrote:

I fully under stand. I will turn 51 next month and I'm a pretty tired dude.

I don't sleep that well anymore and my wife is a few years old and sleeps like total s!@t.

Anyway here's what I am doing and I'm sure you can too. 

I have started working on my diet and what I eat and drink., am moving towards a vegetarian diet eating meats rarely. Fresh raw fuits will give you quick energy energy, veggies are good good good.

I am trying to cut back on the coffee, which for me came with a nice dose of sugar and 1/2 and 1/2. I still have to go to work. I am working more tea's in my diet and lots of water.

Now I was never a huge drinker and I have no beer belly, but that's the way I want it

I have been really busy, but I need to get back into working out more. Working out doesn't mean running 7 miles a day like I used to, but going for walks throughout the day. If you can in a week or so you can pick up the pace a bit, with some brisk walking. Remember the stretch out after wards. I scrwed up my back when I was running about 3 years ago. Go figure, but remember the leg bone is connected to the shin bone thing. Yoga is good. I have a series of things I do a few times a day to limber up.

Oh and will all else fails, remember to have a big bottle of motrin handy

Oh stay away from restrurants too.

I still love writing songs, but you have said if know one listens to them why bother. I don't see it that way and very much enjoy the creative process and don't care if a soul ever hears my songs. My wife has probably listened to 10% of what I have written over the years.

When playing out becomes a drag, you take a break. I have taken many breaks from gigging and don't gig that much. I have found a bit of work over the past year or so as a second rate mandolin player. There's more than a few larger breaks for me over the years with gigging.

I came to HC back in the mid 90's searching for Tabs, you may remember OLGA I didn't get involved with the forum thing until much later. Where did the last decade go?

What you bring to the table in your life and on this forum is wisdom and wisdon can only be found by experiences and through what you have seen and done. It not something you can buy.

Fight the aging thing like the game it is. I have a fridge of fresh veggies and fruits, however today my wife made eggplant and spaghetti squash. I could have ate 1/ of what I did, so I'm off for a bit for a nice long walk in 21 degree weather. I'll get back and do some stretching too.

As far as sex goes, it's a two way street and you need to feel good to want sex. My wife is not super thin any more and I love her and enjoy sex just as much as I did when we met some 17-18 years ago.

best wishes and I hope I have given you some stuff to think about, or jogged some ideas that were already spinning in your head.

Now with all that being said I have developed a tingling numbness in my thigh, which I need to have looked at. I was thinking it mifgh be a nerve issue, or some auto ammunity thing. It is not constant, but it's there right now.

Off for my walk

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

• Voltan
      Voltan commented
      Editing a comment

Mikeo wrote:

Off for my WANK!

fuktitup for ya...

• isaac42
      isaac42 commented
      Editing a comment

Mikeo wrote:

I fully under stand. I will turn 51 next month and I'm a pretty tired dude.

I don't sleep that well anymore and my wife is a few years old and sleeps like total s!@t.

Anyway here's what I am doing and I'm sure you can too. 

I have started working on my diet and what I eat and drink., am moving towards a vegetarian diet eating meats rarely. Fresh raw fuits will give you quick energy energy, veggies are good good good.

I am trying to cut back on the coffee, which for me came with a nice dose of sugar and 1/2 and 1/2. I still have to go to work. I am working more tea's in my diet and lots of water.

Now I was never a huge drinker and I have no beer belly, but that's the way I want it

I have been really busy, but I need to get back into working out more. Working out doesn't mean running 7 miles a day like I used to, but going for walks throughout the day. If you can in a week or so you can pick up the pace a bit, with some brisk walking. Remember the stretch out after wards. I scrwed up my back when I was running about 3 years ago. Go figure, but remember the leg bone is connected to the shin bone thing. Yoga is good. I have a series of things I do a few times a day to limber up.

Oh and will all else fails, remember to have a big bottle of motrin handy

Oh stay away from restrurants too.

I still love writing songs, but you have said if know one listens to them why bother. I don't see it that way and very much enjoy the creative process and don't care if a soul ever hears my songs. My wife has probably listened to 10% of what I have written over the years.

When playing out becomes a drag, you take a break. I have taken many breaks from gigging and don't gig that much. I have found a bit of work over the past year or so as a second rate mandolin player. There's more than a few larger breaks for me over the years with gigging.

I came to HC back in the mid 90's searching for Tabs, you may remember OLGA I didn't get involved with the forum thing until much later. Where did the last decade go?

What you bring to the table in your life and on this forum is wisdom and wisdon can only be found by experiences and through what you have seen and done. It not something you can buy.

Fight the aging thing like the game it is. I have a fridge of fresh veggies and fruits, however today my wife made eggplant and spaghetti squash. I could have ate 1/ of what I did, so I'm off for a bit for a nice long walk in 21 degree weather. I'll get back and do some stretching too.

As far as sex goes, it's a two way street and you need to feel good to want sex. My wife is not super thin any more and I love her and enjoy sex just as much as I did when we met some 17-18 years ago.

best wishes and I hope I have given you some stuff to think about, or jogged some ideas that were already spinning in your head.

Now with all that being said I have developed a tingling numbness in my thigh, which I need to have looked at. I was thinking it mifgh be a nerve issue, or some auto ammunity thing. It is not constant, but it's there right now.

Off for my walk

Mostly I just wanted to kvetch!

As for the sex thing, I've been being deliberately coy. As you say, it takes two, and I don't have a willing partner anymore. Her health hasn't been good for quite a while now, and her libido has plummeted as a result. I am, so to speak, on my own in that regard.

There's a lot of old up in here.

It seems like now that I'm in my 40's all the signs of aging have become noticable.  Everything hurts more now.

Comment

• tuco
      tuco commented
      Editing a comment

I wake up with a boner every morning. That's all I care about.

Yes, MY boner, dammit! :catmad:

• isaac42
      isaac42 commented
      Editing a comment

3Sam wrote:

It seems like now that I'm in my 40's all the signs of aging have become noticable.  Everything hurts more now.

Hurts more, and the hurt lasts longer.

Working...
X