Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Famous guitarist coming to record here Monday...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrKnobs

I just report it as it happens, I don't editorialize.

Besides, the guy may intend to do all the guitar tracks over at his place. I'm just supposed to make sure the drums & bass are groovin' and then turn the tracks over when I get paid.

The famous guy in question lives in an apartment, no way he can do drum tracks into his copy of ProTools at home.

Ah yeah that's probably it then. I do scratch tracks with a POD a sometimes when we're tracking bass and drums, so there's no bleed into the drum tracks. Then I re-record the real tracks later with a real amp.

Oh well, have fun anyhow!
    What The...?
    http://www.what-the.com
    http://www.facebook.com/whattherock
    http://www.myspace.com/whattherock

Comment

He said he was doing this to "keep it easy" for the "basic tracks."

I know the drummer, and I know he grew up with the famous guy as a bud.

So I suspect the guitarist is:

(a) Just doing this as a favor for his friend,

(b) Doing this only as pre-production,

(c) Just wants to take the rhythm tracks home to jam up a good part to,

(d) Has been smoking too much herb.

In any case, I've seen this guy play quite a few times and he's one of my favorite players of all time. I'm booked up really solid this weekend and next week, so I can't say I'm excited about having to squeeze this in but I'm looking forward to hearing him play.

Terry D.

That's cool. Be good and have fun!

Comment

He said he was doing this to "keep it easy" for the "basic tracks."

I know the drummer, and I know he grew up with the famous guy as a bud.

So I suspect the guitarist is:

(a) Just doing this as a favor for his friend,

(b) Doing this only as pre-production,

(c) Just wants to take the rhythm tracks home to jam up a good part to,

(d) Has been smoking too much herb.

In any case, I've seen this guy play quite a few times and he's one of my favorite players of all time. I'm booked up really solid this weekend and next week, so I can't say I'm excited about having to squeeze this in but I'm looking forward to hearing him play.

Terry D.

That's cool. Be good and have fun!

Comment

Man,you've really got to do something about that avatar....
          While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

"Music doesn't need to be great to be good...."

"You can't steal,what you can't feel"....Tom Petty

HCGB # 73

........__o
          ....._

Comment

Man,you've really got to do something about that avatar....
            While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

"Music doesn't need to be great to be good...."

"You can't steal,what you can't feel"....Tom Petty

HCGB # 73

........__o
            ....._

Comment

POD+ELECTRO ACOUSTIC+DRUM MACHINE+MIDI FILE=TONE
              HOW

Comment

POD+ELECTRO ACOUSTIC+DRUM MACHINE+MIDI FILE=TONE
                HOW

Comment

Originally posted by pilk

you cant tell the difference ,that means you! remember our bet? you are supposed to shut up about this. Be a man of your word.

You have been living up to your end of the bargain thus far.

Its the person not the thing that makes the music.

The thing the Pod can't do is the edge of breakup amp thing. Your sounds don't prove or disprove that, what you gave me was cleans.

Terry D.
                  Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

you cant tell the difference ,that means you! remember our bet? you are supposed to shut up about this. Be a man of your word.

You have been living up to your end of the bargain thus far.

Its the person not the thing that makes the music.

The thing the Pod can't do is the edge of breakup amp thing. Your sounds don't prove or disprove that, what you gave me was cleans.

Terry D.
                    Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Terry D.

It proves you cant tell the difference between a amp and a pod is what it proves. You shouldnt be ashamed of that, it is difficult. All I know is the most satisfaction I have had with amplification has been from tube amps. They feel better ,they react to pick attack,where you pick the string and how hard. Pod makes it feel like a farfisa organ when you play.

What did I give you? 4 songs 5?, You picked one as having a tube sound and you were right! See ? you did not know. Its not like the difference between a violin and piano.

It is toy and I would throw it away if I had money. As it is, its goodenough to get some convincing sounds easily(once you get the hang of it) and cheaply. I am done with the pod deal now .I dont wanna argue nomore. Good luck with famous unknown with the pod. I hope he doesnt try to get a tube amp on the edge of breakup sound with it.

Comment

Van Wilks.

Comment

Billy Gibbons?
                          Sometimes gum looks like a penny

Comment

Marcy Lord?
                            Hail Homer! Blessed is he among men and blessed is the fruit of his loins Bart.

Comment

It proves you cant tell the difference between a amp and a pod is what it proves. You shouldnt be ashamed of that, it is difficult.

It's difficult to tell cleans of the sort you use apart. It's not difficult to tell slightly overdriven tones apart. And bad sounds (not saying yours are) can be created with either a tube amp or a Pod.

What has never been done, so far as I've heard, is to coax out a very good overdriven Class A tube amp sound out of a POD. Many people have come into my studio with PODs, none have gotten close. I have tried myself.

I will admit that one of the best lead tones I've ever recorded was done with an amp modeler. I can post a clip if anyone is interested. It wasn't a POD, though.

All I know is the most satisfaction I have had with amplification has been from tube amps. They feel better ,they react to pick attack,where you pick the string and how hard. Pod makes it feel like a farfisa organ when you play.

Same here.

What did I give you? 4 songs 5?, You picked one as having a tube sound and you were right! See ? you did not know. Its not like the difference between a violin and piano.

I only listened to your clips through my small computer speakers. I thought the one I identified (correctly) was fairly obvious. I might have been able to guess the others correctly also had I taken the time to port them over to my control room, but (a) they were fairly non-descript clean sounds which I knew would be difficult and (b) I wasn't motivated enough to try. Sorry.

It is toy and I would throw it away if I had money. As it is, its goodenough to get some convincing sounds easily(once you get the hang of it) and cheaply. I am done with the pod deal now .I dont wanna argue nomore. Good luck with famous unknown with the pod. I hope he doesnt try to get a tube amp on the edge of breakup sound with it.

Thanks. I don't care what the guy sounds like, he's a paying customer and I only agreed to do this as a favor to the drummer involved. I'm relieved that he's bringing a POD because I was concerned he might have a full stack or something and the soundproofing in my studio is far from perfect.

Having said that, if he gets a great sound from the POD I'll be sure to post a clip. If he's not cool with that, the clip will have to be a very small one.

Terry D.

Comment

Wow, long night. Basic tracks for five tunes, more to come.

Terry D.

Comment

Working...
                                X