No announcement yet.

Still playing first guitar i played

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still playing first guitar i played

Old yamaha classic i used a pick. That guitar, which im now playing sounds good. Not great. Thinking about bringing to new contact guit guy. Gonna see if he can install truss rod. He has a $300 fix for martin D28 bridge. He says the bridge would change everything, which i dont get.
    anyway, this old yamaha is fun to play. Fingers work is good

my first 2 guitars

1st electric got smashed onstage
    1st acoustic got sold to a pawn shop so I could eat

Comment

This is Magic.
      If you have earbuds or headphones, you have to hear this and watch it.
      Its like watching a brilliant magician playing solo acoustic guitar.
      -

-

Last edited by AP_Lives; 05-15-2018, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I don't have my first guitar as I gave it to a girl that was good friends with my family back in the 70's. It was kind of a student grade piece of crap anyway.

What I do have is all the so-called good stuff I bought in 1980 and beyond.

Gibson SG Standard.- My first good electric purchased in 1980
        Gibson Les Paul Standard 1982
        76 Fender Strat 1980 purchase from a kid in my hometown. I couldn't afford a new one

I did some early Fender reissues while slumming the streets of NY on 48th street

52 Reissue Tele -1983
        57 Reissue Strat 1984

My first decent acoustic is a Martin MC 28. It had a new neck set, bridge and saddle courtesy of Chris Martin IV, and I had it refretted a while ago. Almost 30 years old now.

Amps I have less love for, but I have my old Twin and a Marshall JCM 800 model 4104.

Last edited by Mikeo; 05-15-2018, 04:13 PM.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Originally posted by Stonedtone View Post
          . . . Gonna see if he can install truss rod. He has a $300 fix for martin D28 bridge. He says the bridge would change everything, which i dont get. . . .
          A classical guitar generally doesn't need a truss rod. Don't bother. As for the Martin bridge fix, there are a few possibilities. One is that he wants to "ramp" the bridge to increase the break angle but that shouldn't cost anywhere near $300. It's also possible the stock bridge is installed in the wrong place, throwing off the intonation. IIRC that happened with some Martins built in the 70's. Another possibility is that he wants to install a "Bridge Doctor" to fix a bellied top. Most Breedloves come from the factory with those installed.
          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
          Member of the Schecter Society
          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Truss rods on Martin guitars

It’s only since 1985 that Martin have been installing adjustable truss rods across their range.

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/martin-...ble-truss-rods

https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-shop/14-fret-two-way-truss-rod/c-24/p-486

Last edited by Mikeo; 05-16-2018, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Had a few clunkers before it but I wish I did still had the first decent guitar I had when I was 15, a steel string Yamaha FG 140. That was a great guitar, can't remember why I sold that probably to upgrade. But that was a great guitar. My brother-in-law was in Thailand and bought it for me for $80.00 including case, which was about half the price it was here at the time.
              Last edited by Anagram; 05-16-2018, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                Had a few clunkers before it but I wish I did still had the first decent guitar I had when I was 15, a steel string Yamaha FG 140. That was a great guitar, can't remember why I sold that probably to upgrade. But that was a great guitar. My brother-in-law was in Thailand and bought it for me for $80.00 including case, which was about half the price it was here at the time.
                I never had a great guitar until I had been playing about 4 years. I took lessons every Saturday morning at 9am, with this local oldtimer at his record shop.

In the summer of 1980, with a ton of cash from a construction job I had, I bought the SG, or ordered the SG Standard.
                I'd come home everyday day after working construction, take a shower and have a quick bite to eat. I'd grab my guitar and play for at least a few hours. Sore as a mother paws too. Hammers and shovels are harsh on guitar paws.

The shop that I ordered the SG from was another old timer. He had a shop in his large oversized two car garage. I was told he had been in business since the 50's. He drove a school bus in the mornings and afternoon.

I ended up ordering a Les Paul Standard a few years later, and the Marshall amp from him.

He cared, stuff like Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, Marshall, Ampeg and the big American brand names of the day. By the late 70's he was having problems with Fender and dropped them or stopped selling them.

Comment

My first guitar was a crappy Korean acoustic with terrible action. It was a gift. I returned it and bought my Seagull dreadnaught, which I still have but don't play anymore. My Larrivee D03R replaced it and is a far better guitar.
                  Workin' for the man with money in his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by hammergjh View Post
                    My first guitar was a crappy Korean acoustic with terrible action. It was a gift. I returned it and bought my Seagull dreadnaught, which I still have but don't play anymore. My Larrivee D03R replaced it and is a far better guitar.
                    I miss my first guitar, it was so easy to play, you just turn the crank.
                    It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                    Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
                    When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by tuco View Post

$hit, I had one of those too! I sold it to some guy name Jimi who I think smashed it on stage.
                      Workin' for the man with money in his hand.

Comment

I have my first guitar too. It's a 1950's Trutone archtop that belonged to my grandmother.
                        It's not about money or popularity , although some money would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by seahorse View Post
                          I have my first guitar too. It's a 1950's Trutone archtop that belonged to my grandmother.
                          My dad had a Harmony archtop back in the 50's. I didn't think he played it, much or at all. He gave it to his cousin, who died in a car crash in the late 60's. I remember seeing a picture of her holding it.

Dad should have bought a couple of Les Pauls.

Comment

Originally posted by tuco View Post

Hey Stoney, I still fit in those pants, too.
                            It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                            Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
                            When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

First guitar I ever had the Summer I was 13 was an old Kay guitar my Dad bought at a pawn shop to try to learn to play. He never learned a single note or chord and I took it over. One of the reasons he never learned I think was the fact that the action on that guitar was close to 1/4 inch off the neck at the 12th fret. Just horrible. I didn't know any better so I just played it like that and developed amazing hand strength in the process.
                              Last edited by Anagram; 05-18-2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X