No announcement yet.

Here comes the snow, little darlin

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here comes the snow, little darlin

We're expecting up to 10" overnight plus more snow off and on for the next few days. They probably won't close the schools but it will be cray cray. Drivers have been really acting up with like 2" of snow. They go into psycho mode like, I CANNOT DRIVE SLOW ANY LONGER AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! If I beat somebody to death with a Jazzmaster neck will I do serious jail time? Just asking for a friend.
    http://2.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.co...freaks-out.gif

Originally posted by spacecommando View Post
    We're expecting up to 10" overnight plus more snow off and on for the next few days. They probably won't close the schools but it will be cray cray. Drivers have been really acting up with like 2" of snow. They go into psycho mode like, I CANNOT DRIVE SLOW ANY LONGER AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! If I beat somebody to death with a Jazzmaster neck will I do serious jail time? Just asking for a friend.
    You should use a Gibson neck, they're thicker.
    It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
    Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
    When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

You could express yourself in a lalochezia way, to relieve your frustration.
      Originally posted by MrKnobs
      God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Originally posted by spacecommando View Post

We had not that much snow and a snow day yesterday. I hate for false alarm snow days. However later in the afternoon, it started raining and sleeting, so it was a good call.

So far, I've had a 2 day work week. It all pays the same for me.

Now my wife told me we have another round coming in tomorrow. Then rain for the weekend.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

What drives me nuts is people driving 5MPH in 1" of snow and then 45MPH in 10". My wife drives a Jeep that I borrow sometimes when the weather is bad and even with 4wd I take it easy.
          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
          Member of the Schecter Society
          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
            What drives me nuts is people driving 5MPH in 1" of snow and then 45MPH in 10". My wife drives a Jeep that I borrow sometimes when the weather is bad and even with 4wd I take it easy.
            I have had a bunch of real 4wd vehicles along the way. It gives you more traction, but is not a licence drive crazy. I put my old Nissan xterra off the road one on ice. I wasn't even going 10 mph.

I thought I was gonna flip.

I snow and ice, drive very cautiously and not too fast. I have filling out accident reports and insurance papers.

These days I'm driving a Subrau Forester XT, fake 4 wheel drive till about 20 -25 mph and then it automatically shifts out of X mode. It works, but I like the real deal much better. I also like the manual transmission in the Nissan. The Subaru has paddle shifters.

I do like the better mpg's on the Subaru. I don't think I ever got over 22 mpg on the Nissan. However the Subaru I dump high octane gas in it, as it has a turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
              I used to live in northern VA, just outside of DC. There is a very transient population there, due to constant staffing changes in government agencies. So people move there from all over the country and the world. Also, think foreign embassy employees and their families, as well as foreign lobbyists.

In winter, the traffic problems are two-fold. You have those people who have never driven in snow, and act like they are driving on dry pavement. They speed along, cause accidents, go off the road, get stuck. etc. Then you have the other group that has never driven in snow, and they are absolutely petrified. Those are the 5mph ers. They go too slow for the rest of the traffic, cause accidents, end up going off the road anyway, or pull over and start crying.

Many times, both groups are driving leased cars with no snow tires. So that compounds the problem.

I remember one time when they forecasted some serious snow for the area. I sent home all my staff around 1pm. Back then, there was no working from home. So basically they got the rest of the afternoon off with pay. I left to go home around 3pm. It was as you might expect. Most companies let their people go home and they entered a quagmire on the roads. There was about 6-8" of snow on the beltway and Rt. 66. VA DOT had not even attempted to begin plowing the roads and it was a complete disaster. People were not even trying to drive in lanes, as there were none that you could identify. Cars were all over the road, accidents everywhere. Lots of cars just slid off the road into the guardrail or down embankments. I guess VA DOT's strategy was to keep their plow trucks from getting damaged by out of control cars. They didn't begin to plow and get a handle on things until around 11pm. Of course, all of this was on the local news. There were people who left their offices to go home at 5pm and they still were on the roads at 11pm. Complete disaster. VA DOT was a miserable failure.
              Originally posted by MrKnobs
              God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

SNOW DAY!!!!!!!!! Seriously, people drive like complete dicks around here. The weather man says, "Oh there's a few slide-offs." Freeking 50 car pile ups with bleeding screaming people and $hit on fire. The news crews ride around showing local conditions and psycho people are passing them and cutting in and out. They don't even mention it. My favorite is the guy who passes when there isn't room to pass, cuts in close and slams on his brakes. Or the guy passing everybody fishtailing back and forth totally out of control. I see that $hit every day. Super Mario Cart bitches!!! Get the coins.
                http://2.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.co...freaks-out.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post
                  I have had a bunch of real 4wd vehicles along the way. It gives you more traction, but is not a licence drive crazy. I put my old Nissan xterra off the road one on ice. I wasn't even going 10 mph.

I thought I was gonna flip.

I snow and ice, drive very cautiously and not too fast. I have filling out accident reports and insurance papers.

These days I'm driving a Subrau Forester XT, fake 4 wheel drive till about 20 -25 mph and then it automatically shifts out of X mode. It works, but I like the real deal much better. I also like the manual transmission in the Nissan. The Subaru has paddle shifters.

I do like the better mpg's on the Subaru. I don't think I ever got over 22 mpg on the Nissan. However the Subaru I dump high octane gas in it, as it has a turbo.
                  Speaking of Xterras, several years ago the company I was working for had Xterras for company cars but they were strictly 2wd. We'd gotten them from a branch in Georgia, where they didn't have to worry much about snow. The boss didn't believe how bad they were until he got stuck trying to move one across the parking lot. The company replaced them with Ford Focuses that were almost as bad. I was driving a Chevy Cavalier at the time and couldn't believe how bad the Focuses were compared to it. My current Corolla is adequate at best in bad weather. Very disappointing.
                  Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                  Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                  Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                  Member of the Schecter Society
                  Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

From the thread title, I thought you were going to post this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	3c47820fc582f28067703042a6dbd33d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	32161908
                    "Our presence here is only for a short period of time.
                    We do not have to shorten it by fighting each other"

Comment

I cannot imagine a life where I would have to deal with the white stuff on a regular basis.
                      Which begs the question...Why did people settle where the extremes are so..Extreme?
                      When my neck 'o the woods was settled, there was no air conditioning, the place was a virtual swamp, with vast armies of alligators, mosquitoes, tropical heat. Why? Why did they stop here and decide.."Aw hell...Let's just start a town here."

Comment

Population pressure forces people into less desirable areas.
                        "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                        -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                        -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                        -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                        -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post

Comment

North Adams, MA
                            Saturday 10 PM
                            Cloudy

44°F
                            Precipitation: 15%
                            Humidity: 81%
                            Wind: 5 mph
                            Temperature
                            Precipitation
                            Wind

Feels like a heat wave here. Last night after work I went up on my side porch roof with a shovel, and tossed off the ice that had built up coming off the main roof this week.

I have a snow rake, but they don't pull ice that well.

I is skerd of heights so I was careful.

The gutter are nothing but a block of soild ice.

Hopefully they will un-thaw a bit before it starts raining.

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post

71F here, the fruit trees are starting to blossom early this year.

Just so it can freeze and ruin the crops later, probably.
                              It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                              Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
                              When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X