Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the fastest you've been written up for speeding?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by isaac42 View Post

    Reminds me of a bicycle accident I had several years ago.
    please tell us more...

    Comment


    • #17
      As I recall, I went into some detail when it happened. It was back in the summer of 2009. I was taking classes at Portland Community College, Sylvan campus. The entrance to the campus is at the top of a hill, and I was riding my bike to school. Arriving at the campus, I had to be careful, what with cars and pedestrians. But that summer, I had a class on Saturday. One Saturday, I went in a bit early to put in some work at the computer lab.

      At the top of the hill, it struck me that there was no traffic. No pedestrians. I didn't have to ride my brakes all the way down the hill. I made an easy right turn, picking up speed. Then a left, putting me onto the steepest road. I was really moving when it came time to make another left to take me to the computer lab. As I came around the corner, I saw the curb coming up way too fast. "Fu(k, I'm not gonna make it!" I said to myself, and I didn't.

      Next thing I knew, I was laying in the wood chips on the other side of the double wide sidewalk. I heard a voice call out, "Holy crap, are you all right?" I stood up, then nearly went down again, regained my balance, and said that yes, I was. I took stock, noted that I was bleeding at my right elbow and left knee. I limped to the lab. They had a first aid kit and we bandaged my elbow. Went to class.

      After class, a classmate offered me a ride home. We loaded my bike into his van, and he noted that I'd broken my helmet. Back at my apartment, I found it very painful to open doors, but I managed.

      Next morning, the pain was considerable, so I took myself to the emergency room at the VA hospital. They looked me over, said that I didn't appear to have suffered a concussion, but that there was a lacuna (empty space) in my brain, and that I had three cracked ribs and a sprained left wrist. Come back in three weeks.

      Over the next three weeks, things were rough. I could hardly use the sprained left wrist, and the cracked ribs were on the right side, so using that was rather painful, too, but I managed. When I went back, they asked how the wrist was healing, and I told them no progress. So they did a CT scan on the wrist and found two broken bones. Cast on the wrist. Eventually I healed. My right shoulder still hurts, but I don't know if that's related or not. I had an issue with my right forearm about a year and a half ago, but, again, no provable connection. I might just be getting old.
      "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
      -- Bob Parks

      "A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
      -- Oscar Wilde

      "No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
      -- Oscar Wilde

      "It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
      -- Theodore White

      Comment


      • #18
        Dayum. You were fortunate with the ribs. Full breaks can take many months to heal. A friend of mine in a motorcycle accident broke a number of ribs and had to have these plates installed. I don't know if they are temporary or permanent though. He also has to wear a torso brace while he's healing. The doc said it will take about a year to completely recover from everything .

        I will say he's a bit of a nut tard rider. I will never ride with him as he's fairly reckless. I hope he learned his lesson after this bad accident, but I don't think he will.
        Originally posted by MrKnobs
        God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

        Comment


        • #19
          I was heading down route 2 here in town, going down a hill they call the hairpin turn.



          Now after the hairpin tun gets a little less steep, and then about 1/2 mile of so right before where rote 8 meets route tow it gets super steep. It was right about where I pedal on my mountain bike and hit about 55 miles and hour. The bike was getting a bit squirrely, so I slowed it down. Didn't want to dump it at 55 miles and hour. Plus down the road a bit is an intersection.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	route 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	32133544


          I've down the road on mount greylock many times, and got a bit skerd too.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	grey_adams.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	32133546
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount-Greylock-TT-2011-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	32133545
          _____________________________________
          Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

          Join Date: Aug 2001
          Location: N. Adams, MA USA
          Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post
            Dayum. You were fortunate with the ribs. Full breaks can take many months to heal. A friend of mine in a motorcycle accident broke a number of ribs and had to have these plates installed. I don't know if they are temporary or permanent though. He also has to wear a torso brace while he's healing. The doc said it will take about a year to completely recover from everything .

            I will say he's a bit of a nut tard rider. I will never ride with him as he's fairly reckless. I hope he learned his lesson after this bad accident, but I don't think he will.
            Yeah, could have been worse. As it was, laughing hurt for weeks. And if I hadn't been wearing a helmet, I might not be here to talk about it.
            "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
            -- Bob Parks

            "A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
            -- Oscar Wilde

            "No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
            -- Oscar Wilde

            "It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
            -- Theodore White

            Comment


            • #21
              I've broken ribs 3 times and it sucked worse each time.
              It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
              Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
              When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by tuco View Post
                I've broken ribs 3 times and it sucked worse each time.
                DAYAM!!!! That's not good!!!
                Originally posted by MrKnobs
                God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post

                  DAYAM!!!! That's not good!!!
                  It only hurts when you breathe.
                  It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                  Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
                  When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

                  Comment


                  • isaac42
                    isaac42 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Inorite?

                • #24
                  Originally posted by nice keetee View Post
                  I had a dream I buried the speedometer past 140 once upon a time. I would not wish to do it on a regular basis.
                  Unless in a dream I make ice cream
                  who is up for a Grammy this year?


                  My mom drove a 74 Pontiac GTO for a while. I opened that thing up on the back road where we lived, and buried the speedometer.

                  Same thing as this.

                  It took me a bout a 1/2 mile to slow it down to the posted speed limit of 35 miles per hour. I got a bit skerd too,



                  Click image for larger version

Name:	74_00035_9.jpg?resize=720%2C366.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	32134258
                  _____________________________________
                  Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

                  Join Date: Aug 2001
                  Location: N. Adams, MA USA
                  Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

                  Comment


                  • #25
                    Originally posted by Mikeo View Post



                    My mom drove a 74 Pontiac GTO for a while. I opened that thing up on the back road where we lived, and buried the speedometer.

                    Same thing as this.

                    It took me a bout a 1/2 mile to slow it down to the posted speed limit of 35 miles per hour. I got a bit skerd too,



                    Click image for larger version

Name:	74_00035_9.jpg?resize=720%2C366.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	32134258
                    WAHWAAAAAAAH wahwahwahwahwaaaaaah
                    It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                    Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
                    When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

                    Comment


                    • #26
                      Originally posted by nice keetee View Post
                      I had a dream I buried the speedometer past 140 once upon a time. I would not wish to do it on a regular basis.
                      Unless in a dream I make ice cream
                      who is up for a Grammy this year?
                      Not I.
                      "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                      -- Bob Parks

                      "A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
                      -- Oscar Wilde

                      "No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                      -- Oscar Wilde

                      "It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                      -- Theodore White

                      Comment


                      • #27
                        Originally posted by Mikeo View Post



                        My mom drove a 74 Pontiac GTO for a while. I opened that thing up on the back road where we lived, and buried the speedometer.

                        Same thing as this.

                        It took me a bout a 1/2 mile to slow it down to the posted speed limit of 35 miles per hour. I got a bit skerd too,



                        Click image for larger version

Name:	74_00035_9.jpg?resize=720%2C366.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	32134258
                        Was that the Chevy II or Ventura II platform? I had a 72 Ventura II with the 6 in it.
                        Originally posted by MrKnobs
                        God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

                        Comment


                        • #28
                          A radiologist I used to work with took me out in his new Corvette at lunchtime because there were empty 2 lane county
                          roads right near the hospital at the time. He thought he would scare me by stomping it to over 110+ on a bumpy 2 mile
                          straighaway next to pistachio orchards.
                          Later I took him out to 100mph+ in my (used) 1987 MR2, just to get him back.
                          It resembled this one
                          Last edited by tuco; 01-05-2018, 05:53 PM.
                          It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                          Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton
                          When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger~Confucius

                          Comment


                          • #29
                            I had a new Ducati Superbike 1198 for 2 years, and got stopped three times on it, but got verbal warnings all three times. All three were on the freeways here in town, in 65mph zones. One was 163mph, one 148mph & one 143mph. Obviously, I was pretty surprised to get warnings instead of getting arrested, but being an AGATT guy w/ grey hair under my helmet might have helped.

                            That bike was the only vehicle I've ever owned that I did not find the top speed of personally. Saw 177 indicated once.

                            Comment


                            • #30
                              Originally posted by Pigger View Post
                              I had a new Ducati Superbike 1198 for 2 years, and got stopped three times on it, but got verbal warnings all three times. All three were on the freeways here in town, in 65mph zones. One was 163mph, one 148mph & one 143mph. Obviously, I was pretty surprised to get warnings instead of getting arrested, but being an AGATT guy w/ grey hair under my helmet might have helped.

                              That bike was the only vehicle I've ever owned that I did not find the top speed of personally. Saw 177 indicated once.
                              I did over 100 on my cruiser a few times. Not super smart on my part.

                              _____________________________________
                              Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

                              Join Date: Aug 2001
                              Location: N. Adams, MA USA
                              Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X