Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 20 years with the same lineup, I quit the band.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 20 years with the same lineup, I quit the band.

Didn’t plan on it. On my way to practice, I just said “enough”. Maybe I’m getting alzimers or something. Regardless, I feel like a weight has been lifted offa me.

Originally posted by Igneroid View Post
    Didn’t plan on it. On my way to practice, I just said “enough”. Maybe I’m getting alzimers or something. Regardless, I feel like a weight has been lifted offa me.

I quit a band about 6 years ago. I was exhausted. It took me a month to recoup, I was that beat down.

If that was the only thing I did in my life it would have been a piece of cake to keep going.

After I called it, if felt very good.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

So this is the start of your solo career then
      It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
      Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton

Comment

I contemplate this every year about my main band...and every year, I decide to stay.
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
        "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

I left after about 5 years. I had enough and needed to start a new life.
          Originally posted by MrKnobs
          God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

I don't think I've ever quit a band. Some have broken up, and some have suggested I might be happier plying my trade elsewhere. Occasionally I have taken a leave of absence.
            "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
            -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
            -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
            -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
            -- Theodore White

Comment

im rather enjoying the solo gigs... playing in a band is like living with a bunch of women that arent into men and never will be... no thanks,
              my p0asting days were numb bird... now im done... bye.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I havn't been around much lately.

I really dont know what Im going to do musically. Just know that Im tire of playing 3 chord simple cover dance tunes obviously written on a looper. Ya, we did some cool tunes but, there wernt many. Im the oldest in the band, 63, and while I love my band mates as brothers, they have become annoying to me over the years, in a musical sense. They are much fun to hang with and thats why its lasted as long as it has. I was constantly being micro managed while playing these cover tunes, while they did as they pleased. I didnt mind the "instructions" as I dont listen to that crap except when I need to learn it(not often). They on the otherhand, were not open to any sort of critism. I was a "hired gun"for the las 5 years or so. I let it happen, to keep harmony in the group, so its my fault as much as it is theirs. We are finishing our committments as a group, the last one is in December sometime. Im enjoying it and the guys are cool about the whole thing. After 20 years, I dont feel like a quitter or a flake. I feel like I am relieved. Its something I should have done sooner, but...I have a ton of gear to sell/trade whatever.

Comment

JMO, but don't be so quick to dump the gear. Give your self a break for a while, maybe a year, and see how you feel about playing with a band again at that point.

I sort of went through some similar things. I left music for a while and I m so very glad I didn't sell a thing.
                  Originally posted by MrKnobs
                  God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post
                    JMO, but don't be so quick to dump the gear. Give your self a break for a while, maybe a year, and see how you feel about playing with a band again at that point.

I sort of went through some similar things. I left music for a while and I m so very glad I didn't sell a thing.
                    Good advice. I plan to keep playing in my little home studio I’ve built up over the years. And possibly write some bad songs 🤓

Comment

Good advice. I plan to keep playing in my little home studio I’ve built up over the years. And possibly write some bad songs 🤓
                      Or some good bad a$$ songs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post

good advice... imho
                        my p0asting days were numb bird... now im done... bye.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I havn't been around much lately.

I really dont know what Im going to do musically. Just know that Im tire of playing 3 chord simple cover dance tunes obviously written on a looper. Ya, we did some cool tunes but, there wernt many. Im the oldest in the band, 63, and while I love my band mates as brothers, they have become annoying to me over the years, in a musical sense. They are much fun to hang with and thats why its lasted as long as it has. I was constantly being micro managed while playing these cover tunes, while they did as they pleased. I didnt mind the "instructions" as I dont listen to that crap except when I need to learn it(not often). They on the otherhand, were not open to any sort of critism. I was a "hired gun"for the las 5 years or so. I let it happen, to keep harmony in the group, so its my fault as much as it is theirs. We are finishing our committments as a group, the last one is in December sometime. Im enjoying it and the guys are cool about the whole thing. After 20 years, I dont feel like a quitter or a flake. I feel like I am relieved. Its something I should have done sooner, but...I have a ton of gear to sell/trade whatever.
                          Now they'll hit it big, and you will be the new Pete Best.
                          It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                          Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton

Comment

Originally posted by tuco View Post

Now they'll hit it big, and you will be the new Pete Best.

Then the band will beat him down.

Comment

I suggest a 'not worry, take a break' and go fishing or whatever appeals to you. Don't be in any hurry to sell gear etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X