No announcement yet.

Saw my doctor today...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw my doctor today...

Damn, she's cute. She has the most amazing eyes...

Anyway, as usual, good news and bad. On the plus side, I am no longer diabetic. Just kinda borderline. A1C had been 6.5, which is the minimum for diabetes. Latest is 6.2, so I'm no longer in range. So that's good.

Blood pressure was significantly lower, which is also good. Weight is down. A little.

Screenings for depression and PTSD were both positive. Not so good. Psychological counseling on the horizon.

She also wants me to cut back on my drinking. I've already done, but not enough to make her happy. The problem with that is that I don't want to. I'd prefer to drink more, just as I'd prefer to eat more, but I know neither is good for me, so I don't. And on that count, I splurged a little this evening. And I'm not done, either. Reese's peanut butter bats yet to come!
    "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
    -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
    -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
    -- Theodore White

Nice.

My knee is all better now, but not perfect. My doctor moved away to New Hampshire in July, so we have no primary doctor. I guess there 2 new ones coming in sometime in January.

The last doctor I had that was a doll was many years ago, when I f!@kered up my back. PT Dr Sammy is gone now too.

I hope I get a cute one, when the new doctors come in. My BP is a touch high too, and my wife just say, "Michael take your blood pressure pill." IC Amlodipine and IC Hydrochlorothiazid combo cocktail.

Best wish on your health.

I'm not really overweight, but the stress at work, is nuts at times. Everything is done on a computer now and it seems like I sit in front of a machine 6 plus hours a day. It's not normal.

I went for a walk yesterday, to see the IT guy at work, he said you could have just emailed me. No s!@t.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

That's great news about your A1C. Congratulations!

At my last doctor visit, my weight was down (about six pounds - with about 15-20 more to go... ) but my thyroid is apparently not pumping the hormones out like it used to, so they've put me on medication for that. I have no diabetes or high blood pressure issues, fortunately.

As someone who has dealt with PTSD and depression for years, my advice is to listen to the doctor... get into some counseling. CBT can really help. If they want you to take antidepressants, consider it. I used to but stopped, which was hell... and I have tons of side effects from them (emotional roller coaster), so I've had to find other ways to deal with it, but it IS possible. Good luck brother, and if you ever need to talk, drop me a PM.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I can still get it up so everything else is just noise!
        Workin' for the man with money in his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by hammergjh View Post

Comment

I got a refill on my meds . I can't pronounce the name of the stuff lol Can one "get better" from "old age" ?

Comment

I would give you +10 Likes on that one!
              Originally posted by MrKnobs
              God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Originally posted by crustoleum View Post
                I got a refill on my meds . I can't pronounce the name of the stuff lol Can one "get better" from "old age" ?

I hear you on the pronunciation.

The physicians Assistant I saw recently, well the office asked me what meds I took. I had no idea how to even pronounce them, never mind spell em.

Comment

I can, too, but I have nowhere to put it.
                  "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
                  -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
                  -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
                  -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by crustoleum View Post
                    Not really. Like most chronic conditions, you can treat it, you can manage it, but you can't actually recover from it. And eventually it'll kill you, if something else doesn't get you first.
                    -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

Two of my cousins went to Afghanistan and came back with PTSD. One committed suicide and the other is in counseling.
                      Hail Homer! Blessed is he among men and blessed is the fruit of his loins Bart.

Comment

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
                      Damn, she's cute. She has the most amazing eyes...
                      Does she do prostate exams?

Comment

I grew up with a core group of friends in a small suburban neighborhood. Most of us went to school together from grade school, through senior high. We loosely hung out together through our early 20s and then everyone went off in their own life directions. Some years ago, in our early 50s, we started reconnecting and began having an annual reunion of sorts. Nothing fancy. Just getting together, shooting the bull, going to a restaurant, having a few drinks, and telling stories of days long past.

Since we started the reunions, I took it upon myself to try to track down others from our past to get them on board with the reunion. I can't say I've had a lot of luck. Some people I found, have had difficult lives and just want to be left alone. Others I found online, have passed on. A very few have joined our annual reunion.

There's one of our old friends I've been trying to track down for years. I'll call him Jon, because that's his name. Most people have some sort of interwebz presence that makes it pretty easy to find someone. Not so with Jon.

Anyway, the other day, I did another search on him and his obit pops up. Apparently, he passed on only three weeks ago, at 61, and I just missed connecting with him. So I left a message online for the family at the funeral home's website. The next day, Jon's brother, Bill (not his real name) called me. I told him how I had been trying to find Jon for all these years. He filled me in on what's been going on in Jon's life.

Somewhere around his mid to late 20s, Jon started developing a personality disorder, which was diagnosed as schizophrenia. (Jon was always the kind of person that was socially awkward and had trouble fitting in, but we always made an effort to include him in everything.) His brother, Bill, said Jon began to quickly get worse to the point where he couldn't work or take care of himself anymore. Bill was designated as his legal guardian at this point. Bill was also taking care of their mother at the same time, who also had developed a milder form of schizophrenia. At this point, Bill had quit work to become a full time care giver. I guess they had insurance to supplement social security disability benefits.

Schizophrenia is a hereditary thing and Bill said there are several people in the family that developed it. Jon's was the full blown version. Bill said Jon also had a lot of other medical problems including diabetes and heart disease. About 8 or 9 years ago, Jon also had a mild stroke, which didn't help matters. Between the schizo and the medical problems, Bill said we wouldn't have recognized Jon. He also said Jon wouldn't even have known who any of us were. He was that far gone for a long time. So even if we had made contact with him before he passed on a few weeks ago, it wouldn't have mattered much anyway, since he wouldn't even known who we were.

Sad story and a bad way to live out life. Something like that should be put in a health care directive, where you could be euthanized instead of having to live like that. I know I wouldn't want to live out the rest of my life like that. YMMV
                        Last edited by Cornholio Farquarth III; 10-19-2017, 08:34 PM.
                        Originally posted by MrKnobs
                        God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

• crustoleum
                          crustoleum commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Interesting . Well, here is my story about that. Take it as you will. My grandmother was a ward of he state for 40 years or so. My 2 kids are...well , like that , somewhat , a little , probably ...difficult indeed: se la vie or something When my youngest son was in kindergarten , 1st grade , the teachers tied him to his desk he is still somewhat hyper ...unreal musician jazz band big band 8 years of band in this city alto , tenor baritone classical and and jazz , marching band too... hyper both actually...oldest did the same , in school , Bb clarinet hyper ...maybe me too What do you think ? ?
                          Last edited by crustoleum; 10-22-2017, 11:16 AM.

Originally posted by Balthazar Munoz View Post
                        Does she do prostate exams?
                        Hasn't come up. I suppose the thought would appeal to some people, but I am not among them.
                        -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

Sad story, Corny. You may recall that my mother is suffering from dementia. She's always happy to see me, but I'm not sure she remembers who I am. My father has mentioned more than once that, while Oregon has an assisted suicide law, a person has to be of sound mind and within six months of dying in order to take advantage of it. I think Mom would be horrified if she could understand her current condition, but there is no way to ease her way. All we can do is to take care of her as best we can as she declines. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't want to live out her life like this.
                          -- Bob Parks

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Oscar Wilde

-- Theodore White

Comment

Working...
                          X