Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What factors led you to getting married?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What factors led you to getting married?

?? ??

Was it really love? Money? Companionship? Social status? Societal expectations? Something else?

Are you still with your first spouse (male or female)?

If you had a subsequent spouse(s), did you choose differently the next time around? In other words, you did not want to repeat the same mistakes.
    Originally posted by MrKnobs
    God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Tax incentives
    It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
    Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton

Comment

I got married very late in life. September 5th 2009. I was 47, my wife was almost 51 years old. We had lived together for 15 years. She ended up loosing her job at the place she was work for almost 10 years.

I asked my HR if I could put my gf on my health insurance and they said, you can only put a spouse on your health insurance. I told her is she wanted health insurance and she had no other plans, she could be a real wife with paper work and all.

I told her is she didn't make a big deal about the whole thing, I'm in. We invited a few friends and family to the big event.

My wife was married once before back in the late 70's. It was a nice 6 month run, I guess (not really). She said she would never do it again, I guess that was a lie.

She told me many times before I wish I knew you back then. I told her I was in junior high, don't be a creep cougar. I love my wife, and she's a great gal. She does all my laundry too, with out being asked. Folds the stuff up like it was when if came out of the store. She does drive me nuts, cause, she needs friends. The older she gets the less friends she has or the less she seems to have in common with people she knows. Me; I could play guitar for about 10 hours a day. ok maybe 9. One thing good is she does have one older sister she likes to get together with.

I like a lot of quiet "me" time.

Today the wife and I hit some Mexican joint in town for lunch, plus it was our tenants birthday and we got together for her birthday. Cake and I gave the tenant a 12 pack of beer. the wrapper said "Nothing says Happy Birthday like a good Beer buzz, Happy Birthday Kris."

My wife was dirt poor when I met her. I once took her to the movies and asked her if she wanted something from the concession, she was like wow, you must be rich or something. Not really, but get what you want.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Married for love. Both in our 30's. Will have been married 32 years next month.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Back in the summer of 1976, I was casually dating three different gals. It was a great summer. In late August, I went on vacation, and discovered that, of the three, I really missed only one. I cut my vacation short, and dashed home to see her again.

There were times when I wondered if I'd made the right choice, but, really, the choice was made for me. We finally got married in 1980, and we're still together.
          "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
          -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
          -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
          -- Theodore White

Comment

She wouldn't leave me alone. I surrendered, spent and helpless.
            http://2.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.co...freaks-out.gif

Comment

[QUOTE=spacecommando;n32052351]She wouldn't leave me alone. I surrendered, spent and helpless.[/QUOTE

Comment

We'd already bought a house together, so WTF.
                Hail Homer! Blessed is he among men and blessed is the fruit of his loins Bart.

Comment

Originally posted by TubeAddict View Post
                  It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
                  Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton

Comment

Originally posted by TubeAddict View Post
                    Good a reason as any.

Comment

Originally posted by isaac42 View Post
                      Back in the summer of 1976, I was casually dating three different gals. It was a great summer. In late August, I went on vacation, and discovered that, of the three, I really missed only one. I cut my vacation short, and dashed home to see her again.

There were times when I wondered if I'd made the right choice, but, really, the choice was made for me. We finally got married in 1980, and we're still together.
                      I had some serious doubts and I was trying to figure out if I wanted to break up with her. The next thing I knew we were engaged. Funny how some choices make themselves.

Comment

Which time? First was for great sex. Best ever. Second because I got her pregnant. Big mistake, both the marriage and The pregnancy. Most recent (18 years ago) because I was stupid I guess.

Comment

The first one I married on the rebound after being jilted by another woman I went with for a while. I was going through a lot of changes at the time. . New job. Got rid of all my old friends who were bringing me down with their lifestyle, etc. I was getting serious and purposeful about life and they were not. Anyway, after a brief courtship, I married this woman. We were both too immature and idealistic to be married at the time. We met at work. She was model material and she knew it. We were married 6 years. It was great when it was good and bad when it was bad. I was the one looking to build a better life. She thought it should be handed to her. At the end, I had enough and called it quits. It was the normal ugly divorce, going to court all the time, but somehow I lived through it.

For the second marriage, I chose more wisely. I was looking for a woman that has an established career and was financially secure. I also met her at work, but at a different company. We went out for 10 years and were married for 9 years after that. At the end we drifted apart and I found another love interest. That divorce was easier and I was used to dealing with the tactics of opposing counsel. We had a fair and equitable financial settlement, and parted company.

Would I marry again? I can't imagine it. Neither myself nor my current GF of 10 years are interested in it. Plus we have very different lifestyles, as we do not live together. After all the legal problems I've been through with two divorces, there's not a whole lot that can convince me that marriage is a good enough thing to take legal risks on again. Still, they say never say never. Who knows. . . .with the right woman with significant financial holdings, it just may cause me to rethink the institution of marriage.
                          Last edited by Cornholio Farquarth III; 09-04-2017, 03:01 AM.
                          Originally posted by MrKnobs
                          God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Lived with someone for 13 years. Caught her cheating on me with my bassist / best friend during year 2, broke up for a bit, tried to put it back together. Some things you can't unbreak. I felt bad for her (she was trying really hard to make it up to me), but I added a 2nd woman on the side which lasted 11 years, surprisingly stable.

But when I added a 3rd woman, (clothes at all three houses), it was too much.

After 6 months of that I broke up with all three.

I started seeing two young women, I picked one and married her. One was crazy and suicidal (but intensely sexual), the other was not, an easy decision after the lust wore off.

So, only one marriage and hopefully that's the end of it.

The first woman died a couple of years back, God rest her restless soul.

Terry D.
                            Last edited by MrKnobs; 09-04-2017, 09:40 PM.
                            Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKnobs View Post
                              Lived with someone for 13 years. Caught her cheating on me with my bassist / best friend during year 2, broke up for a bit, tried to put it back together. Some things you can't unbreak. I felt bad for her (she was trying really hard to make it up to me), but I added a 2nd woman on the side which lasted 11 years, surprisingly stable.

But when I added a 3rd woman, (clothes at all three houses), it was too much.

After 6 months of that I broke up with all three.

I started seeing two young women, I picked one and married her. One was crazy and suicidal (but intensely sexual), the other was not, an easy decision after the lust wore off.

So, only one marriage and hopefully that's the end of it.

The first woman died a couple of years back, God rest her restless soul.

Terry D.

Ya think

There ya go.

Comment

Working...
                              X