Skunk-like cannabis' increases risk of psychosis, study suggests

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunk-like cannabis' increases risk of psychosis, study suggests

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31480234

Smoking potent cannabis was linked to 24% of new psychosis cases analysed in a study by King's College London.

The research suggests the risk of psychosis is three times higher for users of potent "skunk-like" cannabis than for non-users.
    The study of 780 people was carried out by KCL's Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience.
    A Home Office spokesman said the report underlines the reasons why cannabis is illegal.
    Scientists found the risk of psychosis was five times higher for those who use it every day compared with non-users.
    They also concluded the use of hash, a milder form of the drug, was not associated with increased risk of psychosis.
    Psychosis refers to delusions or hallucinations that can be present in certain psychiatric conditions such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
    Risk increased 'threefold' "Compared with those who had never tried cannabis, users of high potency skunk-like cannabis had a threefold increase in risk of psychosis,' said Dr Marta Di Forti, lead author on the research.
    She added: "The results show that psychosis risk in cannabis users depends on both the frequency of use and cannabis potency."
    Dr Di Forti told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that the availability of skunk-like cannabis was becoming more widespread.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ilies/wave.gif
    We built this city on rock an' blow

Comment

Kookoo for Cocoa Puffs
      Last edited by tuco; 02-16-2015, 08:33 PM.
      It's not a lie if you believe it~ Art Vandalay
      Free your mind, and your ass will follow~G. Clinton

Comment

You say that like it's a bad thing..........

Comment

They call it "weed" because it grows everywhere if you let it, and it is nearly impossible to die from an overdose, so they really
          are grasping at straws here.
          The "War on Drugs" has ruined inner cities, filled our prisons, and turned Mexico and much of South America into the worst kind
          of war zone, and until 1915 the idea that you should put someone in jail for using ANY drug was inconceivable in the USA.
          The real drug war now is the state vs the people, and the state wants your urine sample, btw.

Comment

I've seen whiskey cause psychosis, but never skunk

Comment

baloney!!!!

Comment

Olive Loaf!

Comment

I enjoy a puff or two to this day...I have a small stash and its easy to get here.....I had some friends way back who were chronic(chain smoking joints all day) and some of them eventually had mental issues....my take on it is they were using the pot to hide from their demons and it eventually wasnt enough....

Comment

I think a lot of regular users are self-medicating, often for an undiagnosed condition.
                    Hail Homer! Blessed is he among men and blessed is the fruit of his loins Bart.

Comment

Originally posted by TubeAddict View Post
                      I think a lot of regular users are self-medicating, often for an undiagnosed condition.
                      Undoubtedly

Comment

I call bullschitt! There are addictive personalities that become dependent upon whatever is in front of them... I smoked chronic, high grade hash oil, and (according to their"study" , less potent than grass hashish....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL), for decades... Stoned as a lifestyle for decades... Decided to stop, three days later I didn't care if I ever did it again... And didn't smoke again for about 7 years... Addictives ass in two parts..... MKay? Cigarettes were a completely different monkey on the ballsack...
                        my p0asting days were numb bird... now im done... bye.

Comment

Did you read how large the sample size was?

784 people

What is "skunk-like" cannabis? Is that a scientific term?

They didn't measure anything scientifically.

Keep trying these scare tactics. They will work wonders with your credibility, psuedo-science guys.
                          gone

Comment

Skunk weed was abundantly available in SoCal in the 70s.All green and giant Spanish olive sized buds coated with crystals. I was told THC but I don't know. I think it was from the North and probably was developed at and escaped from the US Weed Farm. Oh, yeah and it actually stunk.
                            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Originally posted by 1001gear View Post
                              Skunk weed was abundantly available in SoCal in the 70s.All green and giant Spanish olive sized buds coated with crystals. I was told THC but I don't know. I think it was from the North and probably was developed at and escaped from the US Weed Farm. Oh, yeah and it actually stunk.
                              Thanks pal. I remember it. I still smoke "Skunk-like" weed for 45 years. I remember my cousin taking 2 beautiful buds in a rolling paper - he called it Acapulco Gold - taking a few hits, and walking into to the sliding glass door. Must have been '73 or so.
                              gone

Comment

Working...
                              X