Beer Gut?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Gut?

Hey folks. . .

I'm getting on in years (29) and it seems my metabolism's slowing down a bit, as I'm developing a beer gut. Some may say it's nothing to worry about, but to me, a beer gut represents the type of **************************** I never wanna be.

I'm short and of slim build and I do drink quite a bit (Irish), say 3 nights a week, usually to excess. I try to eat healthy, low fats, salts etc, but I have an extremely sweet tooth, which could be dangerous as my mother has diabetes.

Did/do any of you good people experience my kind of problem, a gut forming yet no fat appearing anywhere else, if so did you get rid of it, and how?

I'm not much of a health nut, I play badmington once a week (my only exercise) an unfortunately I smoke. Is there any exercises or diet that will specifically work on the stomach (I hate having to suck in to see my johnson)?

I don't want to turn into a meathead, just lose this unsightly pot.

Cheers in advance.
    At the third cup, wine drinks the man. - Hokekyo Sho

I'm a whore. - Ziggy - I do believe he plays guitar...

It's not the beer that's the problem.

It's all the food that goes with it (peanuts, crisps, fish&chips and all that ****************e) that will give you a 'beer' gut.

It's true.......

So stop eating, and start drinking heavily.

Regards,

Dr. Lacoste (Ph.D. M.I.C.E. Eng Bach. Sc. ACME Civ. Eng)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bliss
      Hey folks. . .

I'm getting on in years (29) and it seems my metabolism's slowing down a bit, as I'm developing a beer gut. Some may say it's nothing to worry about, but to me, a beer gut represents the type of **************************** I never wanna be.

I'm short and of slim build and I do drink quite a bit (Irish), say 3 nights a week, usually to excess. I try to eat healthy, low fats, salts etc, but I have an extremely sweet tooth, which could be dangerous as my mother has diabetes.

Did/do any of you good people experience my kind of problem, a gut forming yet no fat appearing anywhere else, if so did you get rid of it, and how?

I'm not much of a health nut, I play badmington once a week (my only exercise) an unfortunately I smoke. Is there any exercises or diet that will specifically work on the stomach (I hate having to suck in to see my johnson)?

Cheers in advance.

me too. i'm 32 and gettting a gut. I have always been skinny and could eat and drink whatever I wanted and never gained any weight. but now that's beginning to change. theres no magic cure, the only thing to do is to eat right and exercise.

try doing hanging crunches.

Comment

I try to stay away from fast/snacky foods, but pizza is a downfall, especially when drinking.

Hanging crunches? What's that, a sit-up whilst suspended in the air?

I'm trying to avoid a gym, there's too much testosterone flying about, guys eyeing up eachothers muscles up etc, not so bad maybe when you can compete, I on the other hand stand a mere 5 foot 5 tall (small) and weigh 10 stone (140lb).

Comment

Originally posted by Lacoste

So stop eating, and start drinking heavily.

Regards,

Dr. Lacoste (Ph.D. M.I.C.E. Eng Bach. Sc. ACME Civ. Eng)

Sound advice.
          AMATEUR HACK/BAND NERD

Comment

Sit ups are meant to be fairly effective for the stomach.

I've found that for the first time this year (I'm 24) that I've put on weight too - like you I could eat and drink what I want before without gaining anything. It was pretty amazing.

In the past two weeks I've made a concerted effort to do exercise, so have been cycling every 2nd afternoon. Already I feel much better for it.
            And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out (Matthew 5:29)

Comment

i know EXACTLY what your mean....although it took a few more years for the "bulge" to become a problem.....

lay off the fast food, try to keep the carbs down.....when drinking beer....do the low carb stuff (just get used to it) and absolutely get some exercise in (that is to say...burn calories)...sit ups help....you don't have to go to the gym....sit ups, push ups, and get some major walking in....i do 3 miles after work every day....

it really sux....and trust me....you DO NOT want to let it get ahead of you, because it is feakin' impossible to get rid of.....

good luck....bite the bullet and get to it!!!!

"If I would have known I was gonna hafta play this song for the rest of my life.........
              I woulda wrote a better song "
              member Mazi Bee Militia
              Talk Box Brigade
              Gretsch Guards
              Geezer Brigade #291

Comment

Cheers, it's not stand out yet, though a few friends have noticed.

I'm looking to clear it away now as I hate the sight of beer guts. I work in a pretty horrible factory where most of the older guys share three things in common (a) terrible beer guuts, that they're actually proud of (b) barely concealled racism/sexism/take your pickism and (c) a crippling mortgage.

I want none of the 3 and I fear if I get the gut the rest are sure to follow.

Comment

Cheers, it's not stand out yet, though a few friends have noticed.

I'm looking to clear it away now as I hate the sight of beer guts. I work in a pretty horrible factory where most of the older guys share three things in common (a) terrible beer guuts, that they're actually proud of (b) barely concealled racism/sexism/take your pickism and (c) a crippling mortgage.

I want none of the 3 and I fear if I get the gut the rest are sure to follow.
                  Sounds like you are afraid of the beer gut, enough to be motivated towards losing it. And you also seem visually oriented, so every time you feel like having something fattening, go look at yourself in a full length mirror, or grab a handfull of, uh, that roll of digusting lard hanging off your mid-section.

And that factory sounds like southern US workplaces, in a way. Good luck with the exercising and dieting, etc.
                  "Okay,okay,okay!I understand!Now quit babbling like some screwy twat and get me another beer."

"Then again, you may be the Antichrist"- Doc Holiday

"The only time is now"-the movie Infection.

"before the streets were
                  pedestrianized, and when the district was seedy,
                  dangerous, and mundane all at once". - Warren Zevon

Comment

I try to stay away from fast/snacky foods, but pizza is a downfall, especially when drinking.

Hanging crunches? What's that, a sit-up whilst suspended in the air?

yep, like my brother he has a chin up bar at his place and he has these two things that hang down from it, you stick your elbows in and hang and you draw your knees up to your chest, it really isolates the stomach muscle.

I lack the motivation to work out, I find its much easier if you have someone to work out with that way you can motivate eachother.

Comment

Cheers, I'll try the exercises. I'm not a great runner as I have a bad left knee. I used to play football (the soccer kind) but I had to give that up around 2 years ago due to the twisting. I tried running, but once again the knee gave in.

What about changing my tipple? Mongooz suggested low cal beers (pilsners?), which I can drink, though not through choice. I like a nice bottle of red, though I'm not sure of the sugar/cal count in that, anyone switch from beer to wine with any result?

Comment

Hey folks. . .

Cheers in advance.

Mr, you've come to the right place and the right person to talk to and set you straight about the beer belly.

Lifestyle change my friend, or your gonna look like you dad and feel like your grandfather.

No BS, limit the smokes (till you can quit), start walking (and not to the pub)

Light weights ( and not the 16 oz curls), 30, 40 50 lbs

Sit ups, sit ups

after you can walk a good distance, mix it up with some running. after you can run 2-3 miles, you can probably do more.

Watch your food intake, and if you drink at all, think of it as a treat, 1-2 beers a week..
                        start today, walking 30 minutes a day 2 Times a day.

If you don't do what I tell you, you will be a fat boy and pretty bad shape by age 40.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

I had a huge beer gut from my mid twenties until I was forty

Then I got married

I don't bother with the pub much anymore - I prefer to stay in and have a few mates around for a feed and wine

My treat is a can of lager when I'm cooking

We always have wine with the dinner too

The secret when you're eating is to eat good stuff - before I was married I travelled a bit and got exposure to all the healthy stuff that Italians and Greeks take for granted

Now we eat lots of wholemeal bread and stuff like that

We've also got two dogs now

My beer gut is all but gone now and I'm the same weight I was when I was 20 though I'm now 44

Try to avoid eating rubbish when you've had a few jars - the drink puts a false hunger on you and because your inhibitions are dulled you'll eat fast food crap that you wouldn't look at when sober

"Now you've opened a whole sheetload of pain on everyone here, with all your black pudding insaneness." - Zygoat2

"I'm excited. Nothing turns chicks on more than a fat guy with a flying V playing Monkees songs!" - Sydfan

"Phuck you and your pseudo toaster." - Silas Dean

Comment

when you do sit ups, don't put your hands behind your neck, instead, keep your hands flat on the floor, and your knees bent. First lift upyour head then lift up your upper back then your lower back , you know what I'm saying, so that you are curling upwards. this way you can d othe sit up without using your hands to force your neck up

Comment

Thanks, all good advice. All not what I wanted to hear

The smoking must go, I'll get the party season over me then pack the cigs in.

The running is almost a no-no, the knee won't hold up to it. I bind it for the badmington, but even a 1-1/2 hour session of that leaves me with some pain.

Sit-ups? That seemed the most obvious, until a w/mate said that sit-ups might turn the gut into muscle, I visualised a nice muscle the same shape and size of my b/gut.

The weights shouldn't be a problem.

Motivation, there's the key!

Comment

Working...
                              X