No announcement yet.

OT:- What do y'all drive?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT:- What do y'all drive?

The Trump Vs Germany's auto industry got me thinking. And since I've recently changed car on the used market, I've a head full of bhp, handling, running costs, reliability, etc.

On my 3rd VAG since 2003. And looking to get another 150-200k miles out of this one over the next 6-7 years. I'd tried some Fords and Renaults, even a couple of Audis this time round, but ended up going back to VW.

I'm a big fan. And since a freelance tech like me is never going to be able to afford a brand new car, I love the fact that the parts on these tend to wear out rather than blow out. So you never end up with unexpected repair bills. Clutch going? No worries, it'll start to stick slightly when engaging 1st, at least a couple of months before it actually needs attended to. Same with the running gear. Apart from that, keep the oil topped up and take it in for a winter service every year.

This one's an R-Line model, so not as "boaty" to drive as other Passats, and sticks to the road so nicely that a friend found herself doing 100mph for the first time in her life when she drove it on a leg of a work trip a few days ago

​​​​​​Put em up. I bet there's a lot of love for daily drivers and expensive fun machines here. . . .

flip the phase

I'm on my 5th Toyota Corolla. They've all been very reliable and very affordable.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
    For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
    Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Mrs. Arf and I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, 4-wheel-drive, and a 2015 VW Golf SportWagen, turbo 4-clyinder, 6-speed automatic.

Before that was a 2005 VW Beetle, 4-cylinder turbodiesel, 6-speed auto (best engine-transmission pairing I have ever experienced) and a 2002 Mazda B3000 (re-badged Ford Ranger) V-6 auto 4WD -- complete POS.

She has a long history with Toyota pickups and I have a long history with VW bugs, buses, Squarebacks, Rabbits and Golfs.

The outliers: a 1982 Plymouth Champ for me and a 1961 Buick Special, with a 215 cid aluminium V-8 and three on the tree, for her.
      Last edited by arf-boy; 06-01-2018, 01:57 PM.
      !

Comment

Nissan Rogue.

I'm not a big fan of Nissans in general, but it's not a bad ride.
        How do you spell butthurt?

Originally posted by emerson biggens
        It annoys me that you address me directly in the first place. If you insist on doing so, then you damn well better have your hat in your hand and use my correct name.

Comment

2012 Toyota RAV.

Comment

We have a Nissan Rogue a Chevy Silverado 1500 a Mazda Miata and a Harley superglyde
            Last edited by moogerfooger; 06-01-2018, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arf-boy View Post
              Mrs. Arf and I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, 4-wheel-drive, and a 2015 VW Golf SportWagen, turbo 4-clyinder, 6-speed automatic.

Before that was a 2005 VW Beetle, 4-cylinder turbodiesel, 6-speed auto (best engine-transmission pairing I have ever experienced) and a 2002 Mazda B3000 (re-badged Ford Ranger) V-6 auto 4WD -- complete POS.

She has a long history with Toyota pickups and I have a long history with VW bugs, buses, Squarebacks, Rabbits and Golfs.

The outliers: a 1982 Plymouth Champ for me and a 1961 Buick Special, with a 215 cid aluminium V-3 and three on the tree, for her.
              Too bad the small pickup is essentially a dead breed. Even the Tacoma has grown like a foot in length since they came out. It's now in T100/early Tundra territory. Crazy.

Flag a Post
              The Report has been sent.
              [OK]

Comment

2018 Subaru Forester; it's a company car

Comment

Subways. Taxis. Feet. Haven’t driven since epilepsy diagnosis in 2009. I’m eligible for my license again, but that means a trip to the DMV. Ahhhh!
                  My band!:
                  www.steelphantoms.com/
                  my stage stuff:
                  fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by prolurkerguy View Post
                    2018 Subaru Forester; it's a company car
                    And the ads had me thinking Subarus were family cars.
                    My band!:
                    www.steelphantoms.com/
                    my stage stuff:
                    fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post
                      I'm on my 5th Toyota Corolla. They've all been very reliable and very affordable.
                      The new 2019 hatch looks great. You can get it with a stick shift, too.

If they made an AWD S/R sport type, I'd probably get one.

Might take a year or two since 2019 is the first for this new platform, I guess.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	01-2019-toyota-corolla-hatchback-ny-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	32244042

Click image for larger version

Name:	02-2019-toyota-corolla-hatchback-ny-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	32244043

Flag a Post
                      The Report has been sent.
                      [OK]

Comment

• Warhorse
                        Warhorse commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very cool looking!

• Hoot Owl
                        Hoot Owl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oooh. I'll take one of those if it's not front wheel drive. I HATE the feel of front wheel drive in those that I've driven.
                        They need AWD though to compete with Subaru.
                        Last edited by Hoot Owl; 06-01-2018, 02:35 PM.

Oddly, I have more than 40 years in automotive. I've worked for all of the big three as well as Audi, Saab, Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, Holden and Opal. I am not a car person. To me, a car is simply a utilitarian object. I don't care about features, styling paint color, none of that stuff. To me it boils down to does it meet my needs and what is the cost of ownership.

Comment

We've got three cars - a Honda Civic sedan, a first-year Mazda Miata, and a Isuzu Rodeo 4x4.

We hardly ever drive them - I suspect we put a combined total of maybe 4-6k miles a year on them.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer 300Kplus miles.

Keep buying imports/offshore profits.

Comment

Comment

• oldsoapbars
                              oldsoapbars commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You never struck me as a biker
                          Working...
                          X