Between a rock and a hard place - a game (The Police edition)

I learned this game from someone at Fender, and I thought some of you might enjoy it.

Basically the premise is, you have to pick someone from the named famous band that you'd be willing to get rid of and replace with someone else. The replacement could be anyone else, and while you can suggest the replacement if you want to, you don't have to name one - but you do have to pick one person in the band that you're going to get rid of, and explain why you've picked that person over the other band members.

With the rules explained, let's get started. :)

We'll get the discussion started with The Police.

Who do you get rid of? Sting? Andy Summers? Stewart Copeland? And why would you drop the ax on the person you selected instead of one of the other band members?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Roxanne...

Sorry, had to. I musta heard that song a hundred times while playing pool in Santa Cruz, back in the day.

We spent days at the beach, bodysurfing, and nights at the pool hall, drinking the cheapest beer we could find - Buckhorn.

I can't play this game. The Police worked well together.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any band I'd replace someone in. I guess in a general sense though, any metal singer who doesn't sing. The ones who growl like Satan. Can't stand that crap.

And I'm pro-Satan. :idk::D

• Members
It's ironic that Sting has had the most commercial success of the Police men; while not without his talents' date=' he seems to me to be the least of the trio, talentwise.[/quote']I think he's a great singer. His voice is so distinctive and it works, for me.

• Members
Copeland. He's the easiest to replace. Give me a pocket drummer any day.

with who? Charlie Watts isn't busy these days

Watts to the Police. Ringo to the Stones. Perfect. Paul on bass too (although you'd have to chain him down to keep him in line). Paul would be a great backup singer too.

So, there's my change. Paul for Bill. I have no problem with Bill's playing but in terms of stage presence, he's about the worst there ever was.

Actually, my favorite person in that band - the one person in that band that I'd pick last to cut - is Stewart Copeland. He's one of my favorite musicians, and definitely one of my favorite drummers.

Not to knock Sting, but not all baldies are deserving of my admiration just because they're bald. ;)

• Members
Copeland. He's the easiest to replace. Give me a pocket drummer any day.

with who? Charlie Watts isn't busy these days

Did you ever read the story about the recording of the Synchronicity record?

Apparently they recorded their parts separately, and Sting went in later and erased some of Copeland's drum tracks; I think it was on Every Breath You Take. Sting was sick of all that extra hi-hat stuff and wanted a straight beat.

Roxanne...

Sorry, had to. I musta heard that song a hundred times while playing pool in Santa Cruz, back in the day.

We spent days at the beach, bodysurfing, and nights at the pool hall, drinking the cheapest beer we could find - Buckhorn.

I can't play this game. The Police worked well together.

Sorry - but you HAVE to pick someone to cut. :lol: Those are the rules, and that's why the game is called Between A Rock And A Hard Place. ;)

Stewart Copeland - he was wasting his time in that band. I was never a police fan but I think Stewart is a giant talent and has skills way beyond what he was able to show in the police. just look as his body of work to see the depth of his talent

He's irreplaceable IMO. I can't think of any other drummer who would have fit better for that band than Stewart. But I do agree with you that he's just a monster talent.

Did you ever read the story about the recording of the Synchronicity record?

Apparently they recorded their parts separately, and Sting went in later and erased some of Copeland's drum tracks; I think it was on Every Breath You Take. Sting was sick of all that extra hi-hat stuff and wanted a straight beat.

I'm not a big fan of musicians who overplay or who step on the other players, but I honestly don't think Stewart was really guilty of that with his playing in the Police. It was a trio for crying out loud, and Summers was pretty minimalistic with his playing, and usually played clean, so he was taking up even less of the "space" than he would have if he used more distorted guitar tones.

Do most people accuse Ginger Baker of overplaying with Cream? He was at least as busy, if not more so than Stewart was with the Police. Ditto that for Keith Moon and the Who and John Bonham with Led Zeppelin. When you've only got three instruments + vocals, there's a lot more space, and someone's gotta fill it in order to keep things interesting...

• Members

I'm not a big fan of musicians who overplay or who step on the other players, but I honestly don't think Stewart was really guilty of that with his playing in the Police. It was a trio for crying out loud, and Summers was pretty minimalistic with his playing, and usually played clean, so he was taking up even less of the "space" than he would have if he used more distorted guitar tones.

Do most people accuse Ginger Baker of overplaying with Cream? He was at least as busy, if not more so than Stewart was with the Police. Ditto that for Keith Moon and the Who and John Bonham with Led Zeppelin. When you've only got three instruments + vocals, there's a lot more space, and someone's gotta fill it in order to keep things interesting...

I accuse GB of overplaying in Cream! BIG TIME!!!

• Members

Hard for anyone to really “overplay” too much in a trio format. You can’t lose anyone from the Police and have them still be the Police.

“Synchronicity”, especially side two, really pointed the way towards Sting’s solo career. Not at all surprising that was their last album. I remember telling a friend upon first hearing “Ghost in the Machine” that I thought hey had taken the reggae/ska thing as far as they could. Sure enough, there wasn’t much of that on “Synchronicity”

what a great band! Five great albums and done.

You cant lose Sting, he wrote all the songs!

• Members

Hard for anyone to really “overplay” too much in a trio format. You can’t lose anyone from the Police and have them still be the Police.

“Synchronicity”, especially side two, really pointed the way towards Sting’s solo career. Not at all surprising that was their last album. I remember telling a friend upon first hearing “Ghost in the Machine” that I thought hey had taken the reggae/ska thing as far as they could. Sure enough, there wasn’t much of that on “Synchronicity”

what a great band! Five great albums and done.

You cant lose Sting, he wrote all the songs!

Some good points here.

Archived