No announcement yet.

Canadian Gun Laws (FYI)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Gun Laws (FYI)

I’ve had my non-restricted firearms permit since 2012, meaning I I could purchase and own and long gun / hunting rifle.
    to get this license you need to take a weekend Firearns Safety course, then apply to the RCMP for your PAL.
    PAL = Possession Aquisition License.
    once you receive your PAL in the mail, then you simply go to your favourite sporting goods store and purchase your hunting rifle(s).

in order to own a handgun / or say an AR/15, you need to apply for a R-PAL, which stands for Restricted PAL
    tjis is a permit that lets you purchase and own both restricts and non- restricted firearms in Canada.

you need to attend a safety course again for your ‘Restricted” Pass the course and apply again through the RCMP who either approves or denies your application.
    you must also send them 2 passport style photos and the names, addresses and phone numbers of 2 references.

they want to know where you’ve lived for the last ten years , what you do, the whole history.

i did my Restricted course in September and yesterday finally received my R-PAL in the mail.
    6 frickin months it took and I found out it took so long because I have an ex wife who they checked with first to make sure she didn’t have any concerns.

so now this Canadian is buying his first hand gun.

in in order for me to buy and posses a restricted handgun, I must first join and become a member of a registered and approved gun range.
    i joined today after work ($100 for a year )
    then I go to the store with my membership and purchase my handgun.

to give you guys an idea on magazine capacity here , it’s 10 for a handgun and 5 for a rifle (regardless of the style .
    if I wanted to, I’m now able to purchase and own an AR-15 but the mags have 5 round capacity.

so from your point of view , for the people who feel this violates your rights , how does 5 and 10 capacity infringe on your abikity to protect yourself?

im thinking 10 for a handgun is lots and 5 for a rifle is plenty.
    if a burglar breaks into my house in the middle of the night and try’s to harm me or my family ; if I can’t get him in 10 shots there’s no hope for me.

im thinking of the S&W MP9 comes with a range kit for $699 Canadian - seems like a good first gun and a good deal.

any suggestions ?
    i like palin.
    i think she would rattle some cages and that's what america needs.
    ~ yumpy

Originally posted by Crazyfoo View Post
    so from your point of view , for the people who feel this violates your rights , how does 5 and 10 capacity infringe on your abikity to protect yourself?

im thinking 10 for a handgun is lots and 5 for a rifle is plenty.
    Especially when, as Steinberger helpfully pointed out, the average number of rounds fired in a recent year for a self-defense situation was 2.2 and the most was 13 (killing an escaped tiger).

Pretty hard to see the necessity for a large capacity magazine. Unless you're going to shoot up a bunch of innocent people. Then it makes sense.

Thanks again to Steinie. He's always helpful.
    Last edited by Hoot Owl; 03-07-2018, 10:49 PM.
    George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
    Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with having to get a purchase permit. Be completely vetted and have gone through training is very prudent. As for mag cap, I've been hunting and target shooting (a rare occurrence) since I was 11 years old. I have NEVER felt the need for a high cap mag. In the field here its 3+1. Even in bear country I never felt the need for more rounds in my rifle or shot gun. For self protection, if you live somewhere that you're going to have to put 30 rounds down range, I would suggest moving away from a war zone and let the military handle ir

Comment

Looks like common sense licensing to me.
        What did those mean liberals do to you today?

Comment

Sounds like an expensive endeavor, although you are probably a better shooter for the training. So poor people in Canada just are out of luck?

Comment

Originally posted by roughtrade View Post
            Sounds like an expensive endeavor, although you are probably a better shooter for the training. So poor people in Canada just are out of luck?
            http://www.howtogetagun.ca/

from what I've heard that the $200 ca is on the high side.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsoapbars View Post

http://www.howtogetagun.ca/

from what I've heard that the $200 ca is on the high side.
              Yeah, anything they charge for "required" obstacles to ownership is high.

Especially to a single mom working a minimum wage job. However, that is Canada and they probably don't have the right to self defense, IDK.

Comment

if a burglar breaks into my house in the middle of the night and try’s to harm me or my family ; if I can’t get him in 10 shots there’s no hope for me.
                Yep. One or the other of you (or both of you) will be dead before you get to the 10th round.

im thinking of the S&W MP9 comes with a range kit for $699 Canadian - seems like a good first gun and a good deal.

any suggestions ?
                I bought a S&W MP 9mm last year. Good choice.

Originally posted by panhandler View Post
                Looks like common sense licensing to me.
                Agreed.

To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Comment

Yeah, anything they charge for "required" obstacles to ownership is high.

Especially to a single mom working a minimum wage job. However, that is Canada and they probably don't have the right to self defense, IDK.
                  I would suspect that they do have the right to defend yourself. Also violent crime is far lower so the real or imagined threat is far far less.

Comment

never work here. we have freeberty. dead kids are simply the cost of freedom. plus the country we love so much might become tyrannical and as patriots we might need to defend ourselves against it. I'm sure the 22 you got at walmart or the 30/30 you got at cabella's will provide adequate defense against an out of control federal government.

Comment

[QUOTE=oldsoapbars;n32177611]

Maybe it is too cold to beat someone's ass up there. IDK. They probably have a lower poverty rate, less gang activity, and generally smaller communities, too. Criminals need victims to be violent criminals, mostly.

Comment

[QUOTE=roughtrade;n32177632]

Maybe it is too cold to beat someone's ass up there. IDK. They probably have a lower poverty rate, less gang activity, and generally smaller communities, too. Criminals need victims to be violent criminals, mostly.
                        Detroit is north of Canada.
                        Most people are shot by people they know. Also the amount of collective paranoia is far far less.

Comment

[QUOTE=oldsoapbars;n32177657]

Detroit is north of Canada.
                          Most people are shot by people they know. Also the amount of collective paranoia is far far less.
                          I bet they have a higher "cabin fever" rate, though. How far north of Canada is Detroit?

Comment

[QUOTE=roughtrade;n32177680]

I bet they have a higher "cabin fever" rate, though. How far north of Canada is Detroit?
                            About a mile. I live about 15 miles north of Canada

Even Windsor (across the river from Detroit) has far far far less gun violence per capita than Detroit.

Comment

Absurd statement #1 (bolded above).
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

Working...
                              X