Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you take a high fat, low carb, low sugar approach to eating?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of you take a high fat, low carb, low sugar approach to eating?

A friend of mine was diagnosed with Lupus a couple of years ago. She's had very good success in controlling the disease symptoms with a high fat, low carb diet.

My wife suffers from arthritis. And in a very unfortunate combination, she also has acid reflux, serious enough that it requires a prescription med (Dexilant), which cannot be taken with anti-inflammation remedies that would normally help arthritis pain. She's been able to get some decent results by cutting extra sugar out of her diet. Seems to leave her with less joint pain.

Lupus and some types of arthritis are autoimmune system related. I'm seeing more and more references to people following a ketogenic, aka, "keto," diet (high fat, moderate protein, low sugar, low carbs) and reporting good results in reducing symptoms in autoimmune diseases like these.

Wondering if any of you follow a regimen like this?

Current global warming temperature trend: 0.05ºC per decade, plus or minus 0.1ºC (source: UN IPCC AR5) ...Yes, the error rate is higher than the estimated rate of change.

"Anthropogenic global warming is a proposed theory whose basic mechanism is well understood, but whose magnitude is highly uncertain. The growing evidence that climate models are too sensitive to CO2 has implications for the attribution of late-20th-century warming and projections of 21st-century climate. If the recent warming hiatus is caused by natural variability, then this raises the question as to what extent the warming between 1975 and 2000 can also be explained by natural climate variability." --Dr. Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology

Have your wife try a 100% plant based diet.
    if she doesn’t notice a difference after 7 days, don’t ever do it again but I’m willing to bet she will notice a profound difference with her health and well being
    i like palin.
    i think she would rattle some cages and that's what america needs.
    ~ yumpy

Comment

My wife follows a similar very “paleo” diet. Almost no carbs or sugar but no real emphasis on fat on way or another. But not for any health reason other than just keeping her weight where she wants it.

Consequently my diet is much the same. Luckily I’ve never been big on carbs to begin with. Can’t offer that it’s given us any health benefits but it hasn’t made us sick. And keeps us both thin.

RobRoy: "There is an "honest grit" to his lying."

Comment

I tried as best I could to cut out sugar and salt. That's my diet. Doctor said I was pre-diabetic. I've been doing this diet for 7 months now and lost 18 pounds. It's hard to cut the salt out as I eat a lot of frozen food but sugar was easier. Haven't had a donut for 7 months and everything is sugar free from cookies to coffee creamer, also no chips and tried to eat less bread.

I'll turn 62 this year so "fun" eating is pretty much over for me.

Comment

A friend of mine has a business across the street from me and he went on the ketogenic diet which is high fat some protein and no carbs. He was a 222 lbs. when he started and leveled out at 172 in 6 mo.. He says he has never felt better; more energy, no food cravings and no taste anymore for alcohol. He puts butter in his coffee in the morning and eats real fatty beef and bacon as well as other high fat foods. He tells me that our bodies are designed to live off the protein in fa and not a glucose based diet but I would imagine it would take some getting used to.

As far as your wife's acid reflux it may be as simple as a change in diet. I used to have a real problem with it and started eating lighter especially at dinner time. JMHO

Comment

Just eat what Trump eats and you'll be fine.
            ~~I was not. I was. I am not. I do not care

Comment

• Crazyfoo
              Crazyfoo commented
              Editing a comment
              Triple helping of prime rib and raspberry tort every night
              Also always use s golf cart and never walk because exercise is bad, believe me !

• epi56ebony
              epi56ebony commented
              Editing a comment
              Micky D's and KFC too!

Originally posted by fretmess View Post
            Just eat what Trump eats and you'll be fine.
            You’ll grow 3 inches and drop 50 pounds. Guaranteed!

Comment

• fretmess
              fretmess commented
              Editing a comment
              The best 3 inches!

Around last April I decided I needed to drop about 80 lbs, actually more like 100, but the last bit is always the trickiest. I signed up on one of two sites that allow you to bet on yourself and put up $600 to win $800 if I lost the 80 lbs in six months, which is, I think, the most they would let you even try to lose. But, y'know, go small or go home. On the first month I went for fairly standard low calorie, low fat, low carb, high protein diet with lots of salads, egg whites, etc.. As expected, I dropped probably close to twenty that month. But when it slowed down a bit, being on pretty tight schedule, I started thinking about other ideas. There is a ton of anecdotal evidence for the efficacy of keto, but a whole lot less scientific evidence that it does what the keto people say. Basically it's supposed to change your body's preferred fuel source from glycogen (aka "carbs") to ketones (aka "fats"), making it into a "fat burning machine"! I found a couple of studies, one that didn't seem to support the keto theory, in which a low fat group burned slightly more fat than the keto group. Keto people would say the duration of that study was not long enough for the keto group to fully "fat adapted." Then there is another one that sounded really interesting using two groups of elite athletes, one group on a normal diet and the other group on keto diet. Their fat burning was measured during intense exercise and the keto group burned, iirc, twice as much fat and actually burned fat at the highest rate ever recorded! That was enough for me to hang my hat on, even thought there still seem to be problems with the keto theory. For instance they say that if your protein gets too high, your body will covert it into glycogen via glucogenesis and knock you out of fat-burning mode. From what I've read, the body is very resistant to that process and only does so as a last resort.

Anyway, I can't say whether I ended up burning more fat than I otherwise would have; I kept my calories to around 1500/day, lifted around three days a week, and did some running and other stuff, so I was going to drop no matter what. But it was pretty easy once I got in the groove. I think it gives you a much steadier energy cycle and you don't ever get super-hungry. Mostly I ate spinach with chicken thighs, cucumber, tomato and avocados (keto people are bananas for avocados), and french omelets, which I got to be really good at making! I got a keto cookbook, but never really made much of the stuff in there. Anyway, long story long, at the end of six months I was 80lbs down, got my $1400 check and proceeded to blow most of it in Vegas (I should have done as much research on blackjack as I did on dieting ).

I felt like was shedding a ton of self during the weeks when I'd have a lot of intense exercise, which would seem to jive with the elite athlete study, but it could just be mental. Probably a good idea to get checked out by a doc if you're going to do it; different people seem to respond differently and although most people's cholesterol goes way down, it can go way up in others.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

• guido61
              guido61 commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats on the weight loss!

• Opposite Day
              Opposite Day commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!

Yes I do that - except for the low carbs and low sugars....

i have been making an effort to cut back on my sugar. I don't have sweets around the house, I am learning to drink my coffee black

sugar is the worst. I cant remember who said it years ago, I think it was a surgeon general, "If we knew 30 years ago about sugar like we know now, it would be a controlled substance." And I don't do artificial sweeteners - they carry their own risks.

Sugar "fertilizes" the system to make it vulnerable to all sorts of opportunistic disorders - auto-immune, and bacterial infections.

I have friends who lost mega weight doing an Atkins type diet - no carbs - basically just meat. They both lost weight , but both went off when they had other issues - cholesterol and blood pressure,.
            Last edited by HAMMER TOSS; 02-12-2018, 07:45 PM.
            ************************************************** **********************************
            “I want people to know that I don’t judge people who voted for him like I judge him, they’re victims too. They were sold a lie. . . . I don’t understand why people fell for this ‘we’re going to drain the swamp of this liberal league’ from a man who lives in a gold house. That’s odd.”

Ricky Gervais

Comment

Originally posted by HAMMER TOSS View Post
              Yes I do that - except for the low carbs and low sugars....

i have been making an effort to cut back on my sugar. I don't have sweets around the house, I am learning to drink my coffee black sugar is the worst. I cant remember who said it years ago, I think it was a surgeon general, "If we knew 30 years ago about sugar like we know now, it would be a controlled substance." And I don't do artificial sweeteners - they carry their own risks.

Sugar "fertilizes" the system to make it vulnerable to all sorts of opportunistic disorders - auto-immune, and bacterial infections.
              Yeah, the artificial sweeteners, some theorize, mess up your gut biome, so you have all the wrong kinds of bacteria.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post

Yeah, the artificial sweeteners, some theorize, mess up your gut biome, so you have all the wrong kinds of bacteria.
                yes, and I believe there is some evidence that even diet sodas lead to weight gain.

High fructose corn syrup is another poison being passed off as food.
                ************************************************** **********************************
                “I want people to know that I don’t judge people who voted for him like I judge him, they’re victims too. They were sold a lie. . . . I don’t understand why people fell for this ‘we’re going to drain the swamp of this liberal league’ from a man who lives in a gold house. That’s odd.”

Ricky Gervais

Comment

• epi56ebony
                  epi56ebony commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I cut down a lot on Diet Coke, only on weekends, only a couple of bottles.

I've been using Truvia, they say it's healthier.

Around last April I decided I needed to drop about 80 lbs, actually more like 100, but the last bit is always the trickiest. I signed up on one of two sites that allow you to bet on yourself and put up $600 to win $800 if I lost the 80 lbs in six months, which is, I think, the most they would let you even try to lose. But, y'know, go small or go home. On the first month I went for fairly standard low calorie, low fat, low carb, high protein diet with lots of salads, egg whites, etc.. As expected, I dropped probably close to twenty that month. But when it slowed down a bit, being on pretty tight schedule, I started thinking about other ideas. There is a ton of anecdotal evidence for the efficacy of keto, but a whole lot less scientific evidence that it does what the keto people say. Basically it's supposed to change your body's preferred fuel source from glycogen (aka "carbs") to ketones (aka "fats"), making it into a "fat burning machine"! I found a couple of studies, one that didn't seem to support the keto theory, in which a low fat group burned slightly more fat than the keto group. Keto people would say the duration of that study was not long enough for the keto group to fully "fat adapted." Then there is another one that sounded really interesting using two groups of elite athletes, one group on a normal diet and the other group on keto diet. Their fat burning was measured during intense exercise and the keto group burned, iirc, twice as much fat and actually burned fat at the highest rate ever recorded! That was enough for me to hang my hat on, even thought there still seem to be problems with the keto theory. For instance they say that if your protein gets too high, your body will covert it into glycogen via glucogenesis and knock you out of fat-burning mode. From what I've read, the body is very resistant to that process and only does so as a last resort.

Anyway, I can't say whether I ended up burning more fat than I otherwise would have; I kept my calories to around 1500/day, lifted around three days a week, and did some running and other stuff, so I was going to drop no matter what. But it was pretty easy once I got in the groove. I think it gives you a much steadier energy cycle and you don't ever get super-hungry. Mostly I ate spinach with chicken thighs, cucumber, tomato and avocados (keto people are bananas for avocados), and french omelets, which I got to be really good at making! I got a keto cookbook, but never really made much of the stuff in there. Anyway, long story long, at the end of six months I was 80lbs down, got my $1400 check and proceeded to blow most of it in Vegas (I should have done as much research on blackjack as I did on dieting ).

I felt like was shedding a ton of self during the weeks when I'd have a lot of intense exercise, which would seem to jive with the elite athlete study, but it could just be mental. Probably a good idea to get checked out by a doc if you're going to do it; different people seem to respond differently and although most people's cholesterol goes way down, it can go way up in others.
                Bravo Zulu...

I can't go that route unless it's something I kill myself. Wild game has little bad fats. Ditto with fish.

Good jerb on the gym stuff too.

I'm 51 and be will joining then 100 ton club this Wednesday....then I will want to die.

Comment

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post

Bravo Zulu...

I can't go that route unless it's something I kill myself. Wild game has little bad fats. Ditto with fish.

Good jerb on the gym stuff too.

I'm 51 and be will joining then 100 ton club this Wednesday....then I will want to die.
                  Just looked that up. So like a hundred sets of ten reps at 200lbs. Ouch!

Comment

Just looked that up. So like a hundred sets of ten reps at 200lbs. Ouch!
                    Well we can be more creative with the sets than that thank goodness.

Comment

First of all, congrats. Amazing accomplishment.

Did you have any "Keto flu" symptoms when you made the transition? What were your first couple of weeks like?

Current global warming temperature trend: 0.05ºC per decade, plus or minus 0.1ºC (source: UN IPCC AR5) ...Yes, the error rate is higher than the estimated rate of change.

"Anthropogenic global warming is a proposed theory whose basic mechanism is well understood, but whose magnitude is highly uncertain. The growing evidence that climate models are too sensitive to CO2 has implications for the attribution of late-20th-century warming and projections of 21st-century climate. If the recent warming hiatus is caused by natural variability, then this raises the question as to what extent the warming between 1975 and 2000 can also be explained by natural climate variability." --Dr. Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology

Comment

Working...
                      X