Tools of the Trade as Investments

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools of the Trade as Investments

In this case, guitars.

I'm interested in trying out the Gibson Custom Shop Johnny A Signature guitar (which is rather expensive). If it is all the reviews say it is, then I would see it as an investment in the quality of the sound of my work. A high end tool of the trade that is designed and built for playing music at a level where sublties are important.

I came across this review on one of the online vendor's website...

The Gibson Johnny A Signature is the finest, best playing and sounding guitar I have ever picked up. The Nashville Custom Shop product is so well built and just exudes class. The Bigsby really adds a great vibe. I am torn...I love to play my JAS and do often...but the increasing value would justify keeping it in the case. I am sure my kids will fight over this beautiful instrument when I'm gone.
    When I read the line "the increasing value would justify keeping it in the case" in the above review it really stuck me. When tools of the trade become investments for future financial return then they end up prohibitively expensive for the average working person. When it comes to guitars, they end up being protected from the very thing they were inended to do out of fear that they might loose some of their financial value.

Last edited by onelife; 02-09-2018, 01:50 PM.
    "In many ways, most people’s happiness, peace and love are mortgaged to the external situation. So, if the stock market goes up you are happy, if the stock market goes down you are unhappy. But the quality of life is not about what is around you. Our ability to live joyfully here does not depend on the size of the house we live in or the car that we drive. These things make your life comfortable and convenient but the essential quality of your life is how you are within yourself right now."

i bought a Gretsch 6120 AM. it was pretty spendy, I got it to play it not to look at it or keep it in the case. other players will say, why are you gigging that guitar? my answer is always -- if you had this guitar, you'd play it too. instruments need played or that lose their mojo.
    Last edited by moogerfooger; 02-09-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I call any guitar over $1000.00 a DLB model. New guitars that expensive are made for and bought by doctors, lawyers, and bankers.

If you need a "players guitar" an Epiphone is just as good at a fraction of a price.

If you love the guitar buy it. If you are a pro you can write it off as a business tax loss. If not a pro, it's nice to have the cash to buy cool toys.

Zip
      665 - Neighbor of the Beast

Originally Posted by RobRoy: I believe that the only way Obama will remain in power is if he suspends elections. And at that point he is no longer president. He is dictator. But I don't believe he will even survive that long. It could be suicide, impeachment by BOTH parties, you name it.

Comment

• The Badger
        The Badger commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd call that an ''RSOB'' guitar, the way I'd call hideously expensive sports cars "RSOB" cars. Both are bought by ''Rich Sons Of B****es'' who have more b[male gonads]ls than brains.

Originally posted by Zipperhead View Post
      I call any guitar over $1000.00 a DLB model. New guitars that expensive are made for and bought by doctors, lawyers, and bankers.

If you need a "players guitar" an Epiphone is just as good at a fraction of a price.

If you love the guitar buy it. If you are a pro you can write it off as a business tax loss. If not a pro, it's nice to have the cash to buy cool toys.

Zip
      Well we have it way easier than most other instrumentalists. I hear a quality sax'll run you several thousand.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

• capitalist
        capitalist commented
        Editing a comment
        New pro-quality baritone saxophones are at least $9,000.

Originally posted by onelife View Post
      In this case, guitars.

I'm interested in trying out the Gibson Custom Shop Johnny A Signature guitar (which is rather expensive). If it is all the reviews say it is, then I would see it as an investment in the quality of the sound of my work. A high end tool of the trade that is designed and built for playing music at a level where sublties are important.

I came across this review on one of the online vendor's website...

When I read the line "the increasing value would justify keeping it in the case" in the above review it really stuck me. When tools of the trade become investments for future financial return then they end up prohibitively expensive for the average working person. When it comes to guitars, they end up being protected from the very thing they were inended to do out of fear that they might loose some of their financial value.

Yeah, I hate that. I can't think of a lot of things more wasteful and pointless than a finely crafted instrument basically losing its value as an instrument because of its value as an object because it's got someone's name on it or someone played it, or for maximum irony, because of the quality itself. If I were a violinist with a Stradivarius, I'd be playing it or selling it. But it wouldn't be on display.

I do kinda like Johnny A. though.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

Just play the damn thing.

If I had 8 grand for some superdeluxe vintage buckburst mofo of a tone machine, and another grand to get it professionally set up and have the electronics tweaked etc etc etc, I'd play the fricking thing until I was finished playing it.

Wtf is wrong with people?
        flip the phase

Comment

My buddy Peter Stroud has a helluva guitar collection...he plays them all. Whenever we have a reunion he always brings something amazing...sometimes it's an early Les Paul Custom from the mid-50...or a 57 sunburst strat or an old Epiphone Coronet. I'm always blown away by the guitars he brings out to play.
          Roll Tide!!!!!

Comment

IMHO, the days of guitar "investments" have passed.

I buy guitars because I like to play them. It doesn't matter if they cost $2000 or $200. I don't expect to get anything out of them except the pleasure of playing and owning them.

YMMV.

Comment

• The Badger
              The Badger commented
              Editing a comment
              Guitars are not the only things bought as ''investments.'' Vintage cars, paintings by old masters and even vintage wines (which will never be opened, let alone tasted by anyone) all go for millions of dollars. Rich guys may be rich, but they can also be flat-out weird.

Usually used gear is cheaper than new, right?? Welllll! I was shocked recently to see that the 1996 Hamer Mirage I bought used for $600 in 2003 now goes for AT LEAST $1100 on Reverb and eBay. And I even did some wiring upgrades. Research suggests they only made 262 copies of this model.

Surprisingly, even my 1998 Jimmy Vaughan strat (bought for $300 used in 2000) now goes for over $800–and it’s a freakin made-in-Mexico guitar.

These models are both “vintage” now. Ha. My Korean Epiphone SG has lost value; with inflation, my Korean Hamer ES-335 has lost a little value. On these two guitars, the lacquer is so thick, you can tell they’re cheapo.

The ‘71 Traynor Bassmaster Head I got for $230 in 2002 now goes for $800 on eBay.

Seems that buying pro seems to ensure some value growth... at least until the world entirely loses interest in guitars. Well, it’s been centuries, and violins still command a healthy price.
            Last edited by arcadesonfire; 02-09-2018, 07:32 PM.
            My band!:
            www.steelphantoms.com/
            my stage stuff:
            fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post

Yeah, I hate that. I can't think of a lot of things more wasteful and pointless than a finely crafted instrument basically losing its value as an instrument because of its value as an object because it's got someone's name on it or someone played it, or for maximum irony, because of the quality itself. If I were a violinist with a Stradivarius, I'd be playing it or selling it. But it wouldn't be on display.

I do kinda like Johnny A. though.
              That's the bit that really irks me.

The Johnny A. Signature guitar is a high quality playable guitar which is why it has a high dollar value. If the high dollar value means the guitar will stay in its case and not be played then that is indeed maximum irony.

Johnny A. is a great player and the sounds he coaxes out of his gutar are superb.

Here's Johnny with a bit of info about the guitar...

"In many ways, most people’s happiness, peace and love are mortgaged to the external situation. So, if the stock market goes up you are happy, if the stock market goes down you are unhappy. But the quality of life is not about what is around you. Our ability to live joyfully here does not depend on the size of the house we live in or the car that we drive. These things make your life comfortable and convenient but the essential quality of your life is how you are within yourself right now."

Comment

• The Badger
                The Badger commented
                Editing a comment
                Johnny Antonopoulos could get good sounds out of just about anything. People who buy rare and expensive vintage instruments so they can show them off would probably make a Stradivarius sound like cats mating.

On the other side of the coin, I understand there is a town in Italy that owns a Stradivarius, and they pay a violinist to play it, every so often, ''to keep it in shape.'' I'm not sure where that town is, but I like the idea.

Originally posted by onelife View Post

That's the bit that really irks me.

The Johnny A. Signature guitar is a high quality playable guitar which is why it has a high dollar value. If the high dollar value means the guitar will stay in its case and not be played then that is indeed maximum irony.

Johnny A. is a great player and the sounds he coaxes out of his gutar are superb.

Here's Johnny with a bit of info about the guitar...

Nice! Heh, I can tell you're developing some serious GAS for this thing. If I were to get a sig, I'd probably look at the Jeff Beck, except I like maple necks. Then there's the Govan and Scott Henderson ones. Really I couldn't be happier with my second hand Yngwie strat, which I'm going to try to play some Chet Atkins on later.

Comment

Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post

Nice! Heh, I can tell you're developing some serious GAS for this thing. If I were to get a sig, I'd probably look at the Jeff Beck, except I like maple necks. Then there's the Govan and Scott Henderson ones. Really I couldn't be happier with my second hand Yngwie strat, which I'm going to try to play some Chet Atkins on later.
                Yes, I'd like to get my hands on one and go from there.

I have an ES-295 with Bigsby and I have a Les Paul - it seems like the Johnny A. Signature is a combination of the best features of both guitars. As much as I'd like to, I certainly can't play my 295 at "impressive" volumes and I like the idea of a "carved out" Les Paul as well as the longer scale length.

Comment

Beautiful guitar, idk if I would ever pay what they are asking. Gibson lacquered necks and I don't get along great.
                  ************************************************** **********************************
                  “I want people to know that I don’t judge people who voted for him like I judge him, they’re victims too. They were sold a lie. . . . I don’t understand why people fell for this ‘we’re going to drain the swamp of this liberal league’ from a man who lives in a gold house. That’s odd.”

Ricky Gervais

Comment

OK, first of all. Don't buy a guitar to sit in a case. It is like buying a car to sit in the garage. They were not made to sit and actually will deteriorate that way.

With that said. I play left handed and am blessed with one of the biggest lefty dealers in the USA in my town. Played a Johnny A a few months back. After about ten minutes with it.....I had to put it down. Then I picked it back up. It was really a great guitar. Very balanced sounding across the strings. It is not out of my reach, but out of the reach I want to do these days(I have a lot of guitars). It was really a great guitar.

Comment

I own nice, expensive, 'collectible' guitars. I occasionally play slightly sketchy honky-tonks around town. I have had guitars stolen, and have friends who have had guitars stolen. The fact that I won't take my expensive collectible guitars out to some of the bars that I play doesn't mean that I don't love them, and doesn't mean that I don't use them. I record with them. I play them around the house. I sometimes take them to rehearsals. I will occasionally take one to play out, if the conditions are right.

But I also have an Alvarez 'tele' that I paid about $250 for, that I've played a couple hundred gigs with.

I had an 80s Gibson Dot RI 335 years ago. It had the desireable Shaw pickups. It was gorgeous. But I didn't want to take it to the bar and risk it disappearing. So I found a Samick 335 for about $250 used. After playing them both, to my ears, there was not enough difference in tone and feel to keep both guitars. So I sold the Gibson and haven't looked back (made a little money having had it around for 4 or 5 years).

I don't believe that guitars that don't get dragged to dive bars are lesser guitars, or a waste of time or money. If you love it, and even if you only play it occasionally at home, if you can afford it, don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Comment

Working...
                      X