Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Russia get into the actual voting machines?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Russia get into the actual voting machines?

If so, where will we be as a nation? It wouldn't have taken much leverage in certain states to have tipped the EC to Trump... it was that close.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...machines-2016/

(Maybe another question is, if it did happen, will average Joes like you and me ever hear about it?)

About a year ago I heard a report that they tried to but weren't able to actually change any votes. Frankly though, I don't have a lot of confidence that we would know for sure. And if someone did find out there was a breach, they may try to cover it up to cover their ass - happens all the time.

Electronic voting is a mine field. No paper backup, no good.

Now, par for the course, I'll go back and read your link and then change my post.
    Last edited by Hoot Owl; 02-08-2018, 06:05 PM.
    George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
    Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Here's the bottom line, from your link:
      The electoral systems should be treated like the power grids and communications systems.

I'd add the Pentagon to that. No way in hell should secrets be accessible to hackers.
      Last edited by Hoot Owl; 02-08-2018, 06:08 PM.
      George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
        About a year ago I heard a report that they tried to but weren't able to actually change any votes. Frankly though, I don't have a lot of confidence that we would know for sure.
        i thought i heard the same - this is from npr, i usually consider them pretty reliable -
        https://www.npr.org/2017/09/22/55295...ussian-hacking

"The good news is that, for the most part, most of the things that we saw attempted in 2016 were just that, attempts," he says. "There was nothing that impacted the voting tallies, as we said before, and for the most part, these attempts were not successful in any intrusions into systems."

Only two state election security breaches last year have been made public so far. Hackers were able to gain access to the records of tens of thousands of voters in Illinois' centralized registration database, but there is no sign any records were deleted or changed. Russian hackers also gained access to the password and other credentials of a county elections worker in Arizona. Again there is no evidence that records were altered."

that whole article is a pretty good read, hopefully everyone's eyes are open a bit wider now...
        Last edited by wallywanker; 02-08-2018, 06:12 PM.
        __________________________________________________ ______________________________
        new sig currently under construction

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
          Here's the bottom line, from your link:
          The electoral systems should be treated like the power grids and communications systems.

I'd add the Pentagon to that. No way in hell should secrets be accessible to hackers.
          Agree. I used to work for an electric transmission company- they were very locked down. (The control room was also deemed to be a terrorist target; my office was two floors above it. Kind of uncomfortable).

But is anything really un-hackable?
          Last edited by TCM; 02-08-2018, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TCM View Post

But is anything really un-hackable?
            A 1945 Willys

Comment

W seems convinced they (at least) meddled:

“There’s pretty clear evidence that the Russians meddled. Whether they affected the outcome is another question,” the 43rd president said at a summit in Abu Dhabi on Thursday. He added: “It’s problematic that a foreign nation is involved in our election system. Our democracy is only as good as people trust the results.”

Bush has been critical of Russia, slamming it for working to “exploit our country’s divisions.”

“The Russian government has made a project of turning Americans against each other,” Bush said during a forum in New York in October.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b683842234bd

Comment

Originally posted by TCM View Post
                W seems convinced they (at least) meddled:

Bush has been critical of Russia, slamming it for working to “exploit our country’s divisions.”

“The Russian government has made a project of turning Americans against each other,” Bush
                We have a President who’s doing a mighty fine job of that all by himself.
                Last edited by RogueGnome; 02-08-2018, 10:57 PM.
                To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post

We have a President who’s doing a mighty fine job of that all by himself.
                  he may getting a little help ... i remember a bit of `snippy-ness' back during the bush and obama administrations too, and some pretty damn funny memes - who can forget bush as alfred e. neuman and obama as the joker...and both as hitler...good times, good times ...
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________________
                  new sig currently under construction

Comment

George says Russia meddled, and Hussein had caches of WMDs, so I'm going with George FTW.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ction-52925647

- The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Comment

• Tom Hicks
                      Tom Hicks commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Saddam had chem weapons dating to the 80s, back when he was Reagan's ally.

It's not just US Intel that says the Russians tried to interfere in the election.

Nice try at plausible denial though.

Originally posted by wallywanker View Post

he may getting a little help ... i remember a bit of `snippy-ness' back during the bush and obama administrations too, and some pretty damn funny memes - who can forget bush as alfred e. neuman and obama as the joker...and both as hitler...good times, good times ...
                    Most reasonable people recognize Trump as attacking the Media, attacking the FBI, the CIA, Democrats, attacking the Republican Leader of the Senate, attacking our allies around the world, attacking the members of his own cabinet- all this as somewhat uncharted territory, in a way that we never saw Bush or Obama behave.
                    Last edited by RogueGnome; 02-09-2018, 06:31 AM.
                    To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Comment

Absolutely positive on that. I was drinking a black Russian in a solo cup when I voted. So the Russian was with me in the booth.

Comment

Voting machines are NOT connected to the internet. That don't even have modems or network cards so how do you tamper with a stand alone calculator?

In order to tamper with the counts you need to open up every single machine on voting day while you have people voting. You'd need to need to tens of thousands of Russian technicians visiting each and every machine during the election, connecting up some kind of electronic gear to tamper with the machine.

Polling places do not call in a repair guy when a machine brakes. They pull out a spare if needed. Machines also have an inspection seal that certifies it hasn't been opened and its not like the companies that manufacture the units hand out keys. Technicians who work on the machines are background checked and I doubt few are insane enough to risk going to federal prison over illegally opening one.

Ballot stuffing is improbable even with electronic voting because every jurisdiction conducts reconciliation procedures to ensure that the number of voters who signed in to vote matches the number of votes tallied.

Voting sites are monitored by poll workers from both parties to insure no tampering goes on during the election. The machines are also locked up when not in use. How many burglaries do you think the Russians can successfully pull off in the short time these machines are at these locations. They'd have to break into government buildings, Churches, schools and all kinds of buildings, many of which have round the clock security and are located in areas with a police presence.

I think the idiotic people who think these machines were hacked should simply see their doctors or take a long rest. Maybe stick with the theory that people are sheep and the Russian sheep herders brainwashed everyone who voted in the last election. Even believing aliens sending a beam through peoples cell phones to hypnotize them or sun spots influencing peoples brain patterns to pull the wrong lever would be more plausible.

This theory of tampering with the voting machine is proof peoples fantasies have become an illness.

I'll give you a good conspiracy theory. Last election they put holographic overlays over the screens that made people think they were pushing buttons for the other candidates.

Better yet they had the smiling faces of the candidates on the screens with a message saying, "Whose smiling face will you want to see in the news for the next 4 to 8 years"? The democrats, so consumed by hate, were subliminally compelled to stick their fingers in Trumps face when they walked up to the voting machine and simply voted for the wrong candidate accidentally.

Comment

• Tom Hicks
                          Tom Hicks commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You micro target individuals with social media fake news.

I am happy to know dear leader is keeping us safe. Dear leader wouldn't allow this to happen. Dear leader will punish those who threaten us humble servants

Comment

• bildo
                          bildo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Boy are you ever obsessed with trump. Good to have something to fill up your day.

• oldsoapbars
                          oldsoapbars commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm sure you've notice the dear leader hasn't addressed the problem, let alone actually do something about it.,you'll also notice that dear leader is ignoring his constitutional duty to apply the sanctions against Russia (Section 2 article 3).

Dear leader will protect us

• WRGKMC
                          WRGKMC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Its obvious why he cant. If he goes within poles length of it he's be blamed of covering something up. (Pun intended).

Are any state voter registration rolls connected to the net? I
                        ~~I was not. I was. I am not. I do not care

Comment

• WRGKMC
                          WRGKMC commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There are and some have been stolen. You'd still need to get those people to vote differently. What do you do, brain wash them better then the media does? Or do you fly in millions of Russians to impersonate the people on the registers? Even thinking it can be rigged shows either extreme stupidity or delusion.

• Tom Hicks
                          Tom Hicks commented
                          Editing a comment
                          See 13.1
                      Working...
                      X