Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some here are Soros fans. What do you think of his efforts to thwart Brexit?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some here are Soros fans. What do you think of his efforts to thwart Brexit?

Me, I don't care one way or the other what the Brits do with their country. But this is a non-native interfering directly with the politics of another nation and it somehow seems wrong to me.

Of course, Obama did the same thing - urge British voters via the BBC to vote to remain in the EU. Is that above board because he did it openly? Or is it OK because, well - Obama!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36115138

The ethics (if there are any involved here) are kind of sketchy to me. But then again, when I objected to John Kerry whispering anti-Trump (and by association, anti-American) sweet nothings to the leader of the PLO, I was pretty soundly slapped around here - so I kinda know the answer I might get. I'm just not sure I agree.

Like I said - it's tricky. Anyway, go ahead and shower me with attention. Or Don't. It's your choice. Really, it is.

Left-wing billionaire George Soros is pumping hundreds of thousands of dollars into a campaign looking to sabotage British voters’ 2016 decision to leave the European Union.

The U.K. Daily Telegraph first reported late Wednesday that Soros has delivered £400,000 ($560,000) to the anti-Brexit "Best for Britain" campaign via his Open Society Foundations.

He also hosted big-money donors at his London home as part of the group’s goal to raise support to nix the implementation of the Brexit referendum.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...rt-brexit.html

What dog does Soros have in this hunt?

If he has a business footprint large enough then he has the power to apply pressure to have a proper say.

Comment

I guess that only right wing businessmen are allowed to try and influence politics so that it might benefit their bottom line.

WTF do you care about George Soros and Brexit?

Because someone at Fox News told you it was important?
      Last edited by guido61; 02-08-2018, 04:14 PM.
      RobRoy: "There is an "honest grit" to his lying."

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...0#post32031030

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post
        Only right wing businessmen are allowed to try and influence politics so that it might benefit their bottom line.

WTF do you care about George Soros and Brexit?

Because someone at Fox News told you it was important?
        Oh dear, I do believe someone's getting grumpy. Please re-read the first sentence in the OP to answer one of your questions.

Me, I don't care one way or the other what the Brits do with their country

On the other hand, Soros has a sordid past, and it's interesting to me what the end game might be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros

If the topic brings you pain, I advise you look elsewhere to flex your considerable typing muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by emerson biggens View Post

Oh dear, I do believe someone's getting grumpy. Please re-read the first sentence in the OP to answer one of your questions.

Me, I don't care one way or the other what the Brits do with their country

On the other hand, Soros has a sordid past, and it's interesting to me what the end game might be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros

If the topic brings you pain, I advise you look elsewhere to flex your considerable typing muscles.
          You don’t care but you start threads about it anyway?

pretty much tells us all we need to know, doesn’t it?
          RobRoy: "There is an "honest grit" to his lying."

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...0#post32031030

Comment

i see no reason why an american citizen shouldn't be able to spend half a mil to influence the outcome of other countries elections...i mean, as long as he's not buying facebook ads or twitter bots or something...
            Last edited by wallywanker; 02-08-2018, 04:24 PM.
            __________________________________________________ ______________________________
            new sig currently under construction

Comment

• Gromit
              Gromit commented
              Editing a comment
              He's not trying to influence elections. We had a referendum in 2016, and it was a close call. 52/48. Many people here in the UK are still working to reverse the decision. If George Soros wants to donate to that campaign, I say good luck to him.

Are there no UK forums to post this in?
            In Internet slang, a troll (/troul, trɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.

There's no reasoning with a tRump supporter. If there was, there wouldn't be any.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

You don’t care but you start threads about it anyway?

pretty much tells us all we need to know, doesn’t it?
              The only ones who ever start threads here about Soros are alt.right types.
              progressives here hardly ever mention his name but Emerson says some here are fans. I have no idea who those fans are.

To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Comment

Some here are Soros fans. What do you think of his efforts to thwart Brexit?
                Who here is a Soros fan?

Name names. And provide examples.

Comment

Soros is, Like Jean Claude Juncker, a huge proponent of open societies with no borders. Brexit disturbed that model the EU was waxing enormously. He openly predicts Theresa May will fail and the UK will rejoin the EU, as well as predicting a similar event for Trump because a call to making America strong again is openly calling for isolationism. The bottom line? It's easier to deal in and make money trading within a commonwealth than it is with sovereign nations. Soros has a glass head.
                  Last edited by Idunno; 02-08-2018, 05:13 PM.
                  - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Me, I don't care one way or the other what the Brits do with their country. But this is a non-native interfering directly with the politics of another nation and it somehow seems wrong to me.

Of course, Obama did the same thing - urge British voters via the BBC to vote to remain in the EU. Is that above board because he did it openly? Or is it OK because, well - Obama!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36115138

The ethics (if there are any involved here) are kind of sketchy to me. But then again, when I objected to John Kerry whispering anti-Trump (and by association, anti-American) sweet nothings to the leader of the PLO, I was pretty soundly slapped around here - so I kinda know the answer I might get. I'm just not sure I agree.

Like I said - it's tricky. Anyway, go ahead and shower me with attention. Or Don't. It's your choice. Really, it is.

Curious how you KNOW "some here are Soros fans"?

Link?

Comment

Originally posted by panhandler View Post
                      Are there no UK forums to post this in?
                      I'm from the UK so I'll offer my comments

Soros is a businessman. The EU is good for business.

The CBI, which represents the British business community, were in favour of EU membership before the referendum, and now back a 'soft' Brexit which would maintain links with our European partners

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8170271.html

Comment

hey, at least we're all agreed that it's ok for `non-native' business interests to interfere directly with the political decisions made by the citizens of another sovereign nation...that should simplify things a bit...
                        __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Comment

^^ not sure if I'd call it 'ok' but I wouldn't call it new, either

Comment

Originally posted by Zeopold View Post
                            ^^ not sure if I'd call it 'ok' but I wouldn't call it new, either
                            indeed, `tale as old as time' would be more like it ... guess the degree of outrage depends on if you're the citizen who's getting his choice undermined, or the citizen who didn't get the choice he wanted...
                            Last edited by wallywanker; 02-08-2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X