No announcement yet.

OT: Serious question for country music fans

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Serious question for country music fans

I heard Lucas Nelson (son of Willie Nelson) on the radio today and I was quite impressed, he's a bit different.

Is he popular in the US?

I've been listening to Lukas for awhile now. IMO he's not so much country as more blues-southern rock. There's a lot of really good bands in that genre right now that are relatively unheard of.
    Roll Tide!!!!!

Comment

he tours and records with Neil Young. I'd trade places.

Comment

^^ He spoke respectfully of Neil in an interview between the songs I heard on the radio.

Originally posted by Hoddy View Post
        I've been listening to Lukas for awhile now. IMO he's not so much country as more blues-southern rock. There's a lot of really good bands in that genre right now that are relatively unheard of.
        There are more nuances to American music genres than we're attuned to over here, so thanks for the clarification.
        Last edited by Zeopold; 02-08-2018, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeopold View Post
          ^^ He spoke respectfully of Neil in an interview between the songs I heard on the radio.

There are more nuances to American music genres than we're attuned to over here, so thanks for the clarification.
          This guy is my favorite current country artist...very old school...great voice. My daughter loves him as well. I had him playing on my radio at work one day and a young kid from shipping came by...he's in his early 20s, about the same age as my daughter...he stopped and said "I can't believe you're listening to Cody Jinks!"...he said him an all his friends love him...it's nice to see young people into this kind of music! My daughter saw him a couple of months ago in a mid size hall...it was sold out. She said everyone sang every word to just about all his songs. You'll never hear him on the radio, but he has a big underground following!

Roll Tide!!!!!

Comment

^^ I've heard of him... didn't he start out in a hardcore metal type band?

Comment

I like my country a little more on the energetic side.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

• Waka62
                Waka62 commented
                Editing a comment
                One of my favorite guitarists ever...

To me, most new(er) artists sound like pop disguised as country. Cant be helped I guess, the industry pretty much controls what we see and hear since its all about quickly monetizing the product. For my money, None of the really hold a candle to the country greats.
              ************************************************** **********************************
              “I want people to know that I don’t judge people who voted for him like I judge him, they’re victims too. They were sold a lie. . . . I don’t understand why people fell for this ‘we’re going to drain the swamp of this liberal league’ from a man who lives in a gold house. That’s odd.”

Ricky Gervais

Comment

• Waka62
                Waka62 commented
                Editing a comment
                I second that. I guess the 80's rockers had to have somewhere to go.

Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post
              I like my country a little more on the energetic side.

great chops... reminds me if this feller a little bit

************************************************** **********************************
              “I want people to know that I don’t judge people who voted for him like I judge him, they’re victims too. They were sold a lie. . . . I don’t understand why people fell for this ‘we’re going to drain the swamp of this liberal league’ from a man who lives in a gold house. That’s odd.”

Ricky Gervais

Comment

I'm probly going to see Redd Volkaert and Bill Kirchen play on Saturday.

Lukas Nelson is what happens when you and your friends like rock music, but your Dad hangs out with Waylon and Johnny Cash.

Kinda like the Allman Brothers happens when you like Blues and R&B, but you grew up listening to Hank Williams with your Dad.

Comment

Originally posted by HAMMER TOSS View Post

great chops... reminds me if this feller a little bit

Awesome! He plays the same lick as Brent at 11.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

Guys like Mason and Hiland are great players with fantastic chops, but they're really just carrying on in the style that guys like Albert Lee pioneered...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                      Guys like Mason and Hiland are great players with fantastic chops, but they're really just carrying on in the style that guys like Albert Lee pioneered...

Apparently having one guy who turns his back to the audience and stares down at the fretboard is prerequisite for this style.

RobRoy: "There is an "honest grit" to his lying."

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...0#post32031030

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

Apparently having one guy who turns his back to the audience and stares down at the fretboard is prerequisite for this style.
                        Only the really, really good (or really, really bad) players turn their backs to the audience - the rest of us have to face them.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Dave Edmunds is great. I kind of like his version of this better than Jerry Reed's.

Ricky Gervais

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
                            Phil O'Keefe commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, Dave's a great player - but that's actually Albert Lee playing the hot licks on Sweet Little Lisa... but as your video shows, Dave's no slouch either.

As far as Jerry, that ol' boy could really play too. The original version of The Claw is pretty impressive, although I agree with you - I actually like Dave's better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmb-m4eG6w
                        Working...
                        X