Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Methods to get people off benefits (No Americans or Irish)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methods to get people off benefits (No Americans or Irish)

I personally or any of my family have never (and would never even be soon to) claim benefits. I personally am in full support of Theresa May's welfare cuts, but on a bigger picture, what do you think can be done to get these people to choose to work? I bought some hi fi speakers from ebay that where 'new without tags' and was pickup only. When I arrived it was a council house - I just drove off.
    I have always wondered how these people on benifits face their neighbours when everybody will be talking about them as they are never seen setting off for work in the morning.
    What do you think the cause of not having a job is?

Discuss
    Last edited by TrevorGil; 11-09-2017, 10:06 PM.

Originally posted by TrevorGil View Post
    I personally or any of my family have never (and would never even be soon to) claim benefits. I personally am in full support of Theresa May's welfare cuts, but on a bigger picture, what do you think can be done to get these people to choose to work? I bought some hi fi speakers from ebay that where 'new without tags' and was pickup only. When I arrived it was a council house - I just drove off.
    I have always wondered how these people on benifits face their neighbours when everybody will be talking about them as they are never seen setting off for work in the morning.

Discuss
    ‚ÄčThe majority of those who collect welfare are working and just don't earn enough to survive without assistance, and will collect assistance for less than two years in their lifetimes. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work? If the majority of those collecting assistance are working, then the logical solution would be for there to be an increase in wages for the working class, right?

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v65n3/v65n3p14.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_dependency

Comment

Cut the welfare state and people will magically find work.

Odd how that works.

Comment

• Tom Hicks
        Tom Hicks commented
        Editing a comment
        Magical Solutions are the most entertaining ones.

• LARRY L
        LARRY L commented
        Editing a comment
        ...But you may lose voters for the left and we know that will never work.

Discuss
      Did Ebay refund your money?
      Roll Tide!!!!!

Comment

• Gromit
        Gromit commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd assume that as he broke his contractual obligation to collect the speakers, they wouldn't have any reason to refund him.

I have always thought it to be odd when I hear the left say something like, we have to let illegals into the USA to do the work that Americans won't, as if we need to give lazy people a pass because they live in a certain country. Forgive me if I sound a bit harsh, but, I worked my ass off ever since I have been 10 years old, and yes i cut grass, did manual labor (you know what I mean), dug ditches, laid bricks, did construction any manual labor I could to pay the bills. So I have a hard time giving Americans a break because they won't do what illegal aliens want to do. I call BS on that argument. Let them get off of their lazy asses and go to work every day for 40 plus years like I did and stop giving them money and a free pass.

Comment

• TrumpIsGreat
        TrumpIsGreat commented
        Editing a comment
        nord I see you are having a hard time focusing on the contents of the thread, have a great day, I will take Phil's suggestion, will you?

• Phil O'Keefe
        Phil O'Keefe commented
        Editing a comment
        Let's drop it please gentlemen...

And TrumpIsGreat, you shouldn't 'remind people' of what I say repeatedly. If they're breaking the rules, you should also do as I suggested and report - and ignore. IOW, that admonition applies to you too...

• Hoot Owl
        Hoot Owl commented
        Editing a comment
        Daryl knows the rules, Phil.

Let's get this straight - OP welched on an eBay deal because the seller lives in social housing?

Last edited by gubu; 11-10-2017, 04:20 AM.
      flip the phase

Comment

• Gromit
        Gromit commented
        Editing a comment
        Mind-blowing.

Incidentally, in the UK, social housing (as it probably was, as very few councils actually own any housing stock) has nothing to do with benefits. It's merely rented housing.

Thread delivers.

Comment

Something smells.
        tRump is NOT great, nor will history EVER say he was.

Comment

Originally posted by gubu View Post
          Let's get this straight - OP welched on an eBay deal because the seller lives in social housing?

Jesus probably told him it was okay. You know how Jesus hates poor people.
          Originally posted by nedezero1;
          Good. More lib fake news correspondents need to be assaulted when they get too pushy.
          http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...nches-reporter

The emails giveth and the emails taketh away

Comment

Short answer. You cannot know, by looking at a person, (or worse, looking at their house) what a person is dealing with. What physical or emotional problems they have. To judge whether or not someone is worthy of benefits, or too lazy, based on something as superficial as where they live, or the fact they can walk to the mailbox is ridiculous.
            Last edited by wasgtrjones; 11-10-2017, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandler View Post
              Something smells.
              its funny what semi-literate trolls pop up when the ban hammer has fallen on our resident righties

Comment

Discuss
                Welcome to the forum!

It appears you live in the UK. I think there are significant differences between the UK and US on this subject. Generalizations are not all that useful.

I had an interesting conversation with a German friend. We were talking about this exact subject. His point of view was that there are a percentage of people who don't want to work or take responsibility for themselves and will take advantage of whatever they can get "for free". Personally I think that regardless of the country, most people don't want to live off the state. The majority of people would rather have their own dignity and look after themselves. But yes there is a percentage that would rather sponge.

My German friend told me that from the point of view of society, shutting these people out and letting them starve (or rely on crime to get by) isn't good for anybody. He understand that his taxes go in part to subsidize these people. Maybe you don't want your tax money to go to bums but the alternative is that you end up paying more for the consequences of not having some sort of safety net. His point of view was that give this person a crap apartment to live in and just enough money for food. If they don't want to help themselves after that, that's their prerogative.

Some people need a leg up. 30 years ago I was hit by a car and couldn't work for a month. I had no money. I got food stamps for a month until I could get back on my feet. Other than that tough time I've worked since I was 14. I bust my butt and pay my taxes. I'm glad there was help there when I needed it and I don't feel I ripped anybody off.

I also had an interesting conversation with a Japanese friend. He said the young people in Japan don't want to work. If you want to buy a house in Japan you might have to take on a three generation mortgage. What prospects do young people have in a country where everything is already owned by the person who will be your boss? Japan and the UK have a lot in common. They are small places with finite opportunities and a somewhat rigged system. So if you're looking for a solution to the welfare state, the capitalist system of the rich sucking up all the wealth is just going to perpetuate that. The difference in the US is that we still have more resources to burn. But we are burning them.

Zip

665 - Neighbor of the Beast

Originally Posted by RobRoy: I believe that the only way Obama will remain in power is if he suspends elections. And at that point he is no longer president. He is dictator. But I don't believe he will even survive that long. It could be suicide, impeachment by BOTH parties, you name it.

Comment

Originally posted by gubu View Post

Our American friends don't understand what a council house is. But I think you do.

If I were to criticize the OP for this I'd ask him why he though he could buy hot speakers without dealing with a thief. Maybe if he had driven up to a nicer looking house he might have felt more comfortable about buying the hot speakers. In this country you go to buy a hot item from Craigslist or eBay, you might end up with a missing wallet and maybe even a bullet. Depends on the neighborhood, eh?

Zip

Originally Posted by RobRoy: I believe that the only way Obama will remain in power is if he suspends elections. And at that point he is no longer president. He is dictator. But I don't believe he will even survive that long. It could be suicide, impeachment by BOTH parties, you name it.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo-tpL_q View Post
                    Cut the welfare state and people will magically find work.

Odd how that works.

Please link studies that actually show welfare cuts create jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by wasgtrjones View Post

Please link studies that actually show welfare cuts create jobs.
                      Davos point of view is that anybody who get's benefits is a freeloader. That's not based on facts, it's based on emotional bias confirmation.

Zip

Comment

• Tom Hicks
                        Tom Hicks commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The property tax deduction and child tax deduction are excellent examples of freeloading benefits.

who would dare take those benefits?

• SteinbergerHack
                        SteinbergerHack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good, so you must agree with removing them from the tax code, right?

Working...
                    X