No announcement yet.

Are you proud of your race?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you proud of your race?

I remember when I first heard the term Black Pride. It was sometime in the late 1960s, after the turbulence of the civil rights era and about 100 years after the abolishment of slavery in the U.S. Although the phrase was readily adopted by radicals to further their own agendas, it was primarily heard by those of African heritage as a call to throw off the shackles of oppression while embracing the past, and especially, the future.

And yeah, I get that. I understand how powerful a sense of shared pride can be, especially to members of a persecuted minority. It's the pride of survival and of overcoming years of mistreatment. That's why I get Black Pride. I get Gay Pride and Latin Pride, too.

But you know what I don't get? White Pride. I mean, yeah...I feel pretty lucky to have been born a white male, but is that something I should be proud of? A lack of melanin? Seriously?

Because let's face it: White people have, on the whole, had a pretty easy time of it. Especially white men. In fact, when you think about it...every little bit of oppression us white folks have ever felt has come at the hands of other white men (the notable exception being the Moors during the Middle Ages). On the other hand, we have had a truly impressive track record of oppressing, colonizing, and even exterminating, actual minorities.

So, what does White Pride actually mean? Am I supposed to feel some sort of racial kinship with Tchaikovsky, Jefferson, Einstein, Voltaire, and Jesus (LOL)? How about Hitler, Nero, Stalin, Torquemada, Madoff and Judas Isacariot? Just one big, happy white family, huh?

The way I see it...there are lots of things white people can take pride in. We can take pride in our children (and especially, grandchildren), our good deeds, our work, our creative endeavors, our hobbies, our homes, our gardens, our relatives. Lots of things, even our faith (in moderation). But our whiteness?

May I suggest that if the strongest bond you feel with others is limited to your complexion, you probably don't have much to be proud of at all.

I take pride in my accomplishments. Not things that are simply a nature of my birth.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post
      I take pride in my accomplishments. Not things that are simply a nature of my birth.
      This, goes for all races. Saying crap like the OP has that it's cool for all others but white people to feel pride does nothing more than stoke division, if we truly want all people treated equally than we actually have to treat them equally.

Comment

• Gromit
        Gromit commented
        Editing a comment
        Well said !

Originally posted by NOS68 View Post

This, goes for all races. Saying crap like the OP has that it's cool for all others but white people to feel pride does nothing more than stoke division, if we truly want all people treated equally than we actually have to treat them equally.
      Someday we can hopefully get there. In the meantime, anyone who claims there is no difference between “black pride” and “white pride” in America either isn’t paying attention or has their own agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by NOS68 View Post

Right. "It's cool for all others, but not white people."

That's exactly what I said in the OP.

So, I take it you're proud of your whiteness?

Comment

Originally posted by bluzboy View Post

Right. "It's cool for all others, but not white people."

That's exactly what I said in the OP.

So, I take it you're proud of your whiteness?
          Nope, I'm proud of me and my family. White people have done good things and shameful horrible things as has every other race.

Comment

• goodhonk
            goodhonk commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s really a shame that you place so much impotantance on race, bluzboy.

• bluzboy
            bluzboy commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s really a shame that you lack better comprehension skills, goodhink.

• NOS68
            NOS68 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well as I can think of genocides attempted by whites, asians, and blacks off the top of my head I'd say we have a three way tie at least.

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

Someday we can hopefully get there. In the meantime, anyone who claims there is no difference between “black pride” and “white pride” in America either isn’t paying attention or has their own agenda.
          Only because white supremacists have claimed the term. If you can't see how condoning one while being ok with the other promotes division I can't help you.

It's about time for libs to decide if you actually want equal treatment for all or want whites to pay for the sins of our ancestors and fringe arseholes. Just be honest about it if it's the latter.

Comment

i was talking to a neighbor and it turns out we are both members of the master race. so i have that going for me, which is nice
            {O,O}
            (__(\
            " "

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Furgison View Post
              i was talking to a neighbor and it turns out we are both members of the master race. so i have that going for me, which is nice
              You must be yellow then.

Comment

Great point Bluzboy.

Tho I doubt Judas Iscariot was white
                flip the phase

Comment

Originally posted by gubu View Post
                  Great point Bluzboy.

Tho I doubt Judas Iscariot was white

Same goes for Jesus, but I didn't want to upset folks.

Figured if I included one, I had to go with the other, though.

Comment

Do you know what?

Black Americans are right to be proud of their heritage, of their emancipation from slavery, and of their refusal to be treated as anything other than equal citizens of their country. They are right to be proud of the civil rights movement, and their peaceful means of protest against, and non-cooperation with, apartheid in America in the 20th century.

Why?

Because it wasn't black Americans who made themselves "other" in the first place. It was white people who did that.

Black Americans are right to be proud of their insistence upon being treated with the same dignity and respect as any other human being, in a supposedly civilised nation.

Viva la Revolución!

Viva la Humanidad!
                    Last edited by gubu; 10-29-2017, 03:18 AM.
                    flip the phase

Comment

I had nothing to do with my being white. So I'm not particularly proud of it.
                      tRump is NOT great, nor will history EVER say he was.

Comment

• onelife
                        onelife commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There are some who believe that we choose our parents - but that is a subject for another thread

Originally posted by panhandler View Post
                      I had nothing to do with my being white. So I'm not particularly proud of it.
                      Yep...same goes for being an American.
                      Roll Tide!!!!!

Comment

I’m ashamed of my race to be perfectly honest.
                        The human race is the only race I belong to because under our skin we are all the same, have the same beating heart, hikes and dreams , pee and poop exactly the same way and I’m ashamed.
                        It’s 2017 and we’re still a collective bunch of idiots hell bent on ruining the earth, %#*ing each other over for 5 cents, and mirdering each other like it’s a carnival game and you win a prize.

I’m happy we’ve come so far but to still have so much hatred and discrimination among us and still have these hate groups marching around giving each other the hitter salute and hiding behind the constitution - makes me ashamed.

I can’t even begin to imagine what the day will feel like when hatred, bigotry, intolerance and ignorance will be wiped out.
                        i like palin.
                        i think she would rattle some cages and that's what america needs.
                        ~ yumpy

Comment

Working...
                        X