No announcement yet.

Yet another passes, RIP Fats.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS68
    started a topic Yet another passes, RIP Fats.

Yet another passes, RIP Fats.

RIP Antoine, thanks for the music.

CNN) Antoine "Fats" Domino, a titan of early rock 'n' roll whose piano-based hits -- such as "Ain't That a Shame," "Blueberry Hill" and "Blue Monday" -- influenced artists including Paul McCartney and Randy Newman, died Tuesday, an official said.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ary/index.html

• sirfun
    replied
    Walking to New Orleans !! )

It's the Journey !! )

and the Destination !! )

Leave a comment:

• emerson biggens
    replied
    I will give props to Fats for staying in his 9th ward home during the flooding resulting from Katrina, to be with his ailing wife. Rumors of his death at that time were greatly exaggerated.

Leave a comment:

• thankyou
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
    Let's all just drop it please. Feel free to discuss Fats, his music, and his influence, but let's leave the rest of it out.
    Yes, sorry, he effectively trolled me. Fats Domino was most popular when my sisters were teenagers and I was a decade younger. Our house had lots of that era's music playing on their little portable record player. Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Fats Domino, Harry Belafonte, Ricky Nelson. Almost everything Fats did was upbeat without being sugary. When I was a kid, we would occasionally travel to Kansas City, where there is an ethnic neighborhood called Strawberry Hill. Motoring by, we'd break out in song, with Strawberry instead of Blueberry. I imagined Fats Domino as a big imposing figure, not a 5'6" heavyweight. He must have endured some kind of misery from time to time, being black, fat and short.

Leave a comment:

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied
    Let's all just drop it please. Feel free to discuss Fats, his music, and his influence, but let's leave the rest of it out.

Leave a comment:

• thankyou
    replied
    Originally posted by emerson biggens View Post

please Guido - heed Phil's admonition, as I am:

please don't come into a RIP thread and start throwing shade.
    Maybe he forgot to tell you that leaving the thread at that point would help prevent further embarrassment from your little troll post.

Leave a comment:

• emerson biggens
    replied
    Originally posted by guido61 View Post

Not aware of any posts in this thread where anyone appears to be a Fats Domino fanatic.

did they get deleted before I read this insightful post of yours or something?
    please Guido - heed Phil's admonition, as I am:

please don't come into a RIP thread and start throwing shade.

Leave a comment:

• guido61
    replied

I realize that it's not popular to poke a sacred cow. I was looking to necro some old Fats Domino threads, but believe it or not, it's hard to find any. Odd, given all the apparent fanatics that frequent this forum.

Not aware of any posts in this thread where anyone appears to be a Fats Domino fanatic.

did they get deleted before I read this insightful post of yours or something?

Leave a comment:

• Phil O'Keefe
    commented on 's reply
    I have to admit, sophomoric as it is, I did get a chuckle from this post.

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied

I realize that it's not popular to poke a sacred cow. I was looking to necro some old Fats Domino threads, but believe it or not, it's hard to find any. Odd, given all the apparent fanatics that frequent this forum.
    First of all, the guy just died, so please don't come into a RIP thread and start throwing shade.

Whether there are lots of other Fats Domino threads or not, that doesn't mean that there aren't some people here who grew up with his music and who lament his passing.

Fats was one of the foundations of the first era of Rock, and he's had a huge and lasting influence. I've never known a time when his music wasn't around, and now he's gone too... another legend passes into history.

RIP Fats, and thanks for the music.

Leave a comment:

• Phil O'Keefe
    commented on 's reply
    Winner.

• sirfun
    commented on 's reply
    its the destination !! )

not the journey !! )

have a good one !! )

• thankyou
    replied

This too shall pass and you will get more attention, well deserved attention, in the near future.

Leave a comment:

• emerson biggens
    replied
    Originally posted by sirfun View Post

and you are heading towards the direction of making a tasteful comment in a RIP thread !! )

Leave a comment:

• sirfun
    replied
    one strategically placed 'R' in the title, and this thread would have taken a decidedly different direction.

and you are heading towards the direction of making a tasteful comment in a RIP thread !! )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X