No announcement yet.

Help Me Choose a Handgun

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Choose a Handgun

Unlike America where you can buy any firearm you want from a vending machine, us Canadians have to go through a million hoops to get a ‘restricted ‘ firearm permit.

I’ve had my ‘non-restricted “ per it for several years which lets me posess hunting rifles and shotguns but now just got my restricted which lets me possess a handgun, AR-15 and other firearms which fall under the ‘restricted definition.

So I’m wanting a handgun for the gun club I just joined and also in case some crackhead busts into my place at 2am looking for his next victim.
    The other reason is we get a lot of bears in our community - last summer the local conservation officers shot and killed 27 bears .
    So if I get one that breaks down the door I want to be able to have a chance.

Don’t laugh guys , 3 years ago when I was working in Dawson city as a natural resource officer , a grizzly broke into a cabin of one of our secretaries and mauled her .

Her husband ran inside and grabbed his rifle and shot the bear but the damage was fine and his wife died from her injuries while he held her hand enroute to the hospital - was a really sad day.

So what do you guys recommend?
    i like palin.
    i think she would rattle some cages and that's what america needs.
    ~ yumpy

for a bear? A .454 Casull [a Ruger Alaskan or a Taurus Raging Bull preferred], Ruger .480, a S&W .500 or at minimum a .44 magnum, anything smaller will just piss it off. An old friend of mine just retired from being a Forest Ranger in Alaska, he carried a .44 mag*, a 12Ga with sluggers or a 30-06 depending on the time of year. Moose and griz are both hard to stop without some serious lead and muzzle velocity.

Here in California we have some pretty strict gun laws...I have to give thumb print and ID just to buy ammo...ten day waiting period on gun purchases [except at gun shows...whatever... ], maximum allowed magazine is 10 rounds [they were trying to force us to turn in our hi-cap handgun magazines but that law is being challenged]. I did pick up some 10rd mags for my Beretta 92 just in case, but I love the 15 rd mags; I also have a 'long-boy' 14 rd mag for my .45...7 rounds is not enough!

*When he was getting ready to go up there I gave him this same list...the .44 had the most controllable recoil to him, but as I told him, 'you are probably only going to get one shot, forget about the recoil'. But he had to certify with it...
    Last edited by daddymack; 10-24-2017, 09:07 PM.
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

• NOS68
      NOS68 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just took a moose with 2 rounds of 325 WSM (200 grain Accubonds) he went down in appx 40 seconds. Both rounds through the lungs at about 75 yards. I was a bit suprised he went down so quick.
      Last edited by NOS68; 10-24-2017, 09:58 PM.

• daddymack
      daddymack commented
      Editing a comment
      that is a good small magnum round at 200gr; What rifle were you using?
      I will assume he was not charging at you...40 seconds is a death sentence with a charging moose at that range.

• NOS68
      NOS68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Winchester M70 Featherweight, the new ones made in SC by FN, great rifle. No he wasn't charging and they definitely can be very tough creatures.

.357 mag or the .44 is a good choice. Good stopping power.
    Taurus is good value and they get positive reviews. Made in Brazil.
    My problem is my guns are locked up and the ammo is locked up.
    I'd have to call 'time out' while I fetch the key, load and aim.
    To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Comment

• daddymack
      daddymack commented
      Editing a comment
      I have trigger locks on all my firearms [except the black powder .44, which is unloaded, and a 'task' to load, plus the essentials for it are in the garage...lead, blackpowder, patches, caps], and the keys and magazines are nearby and ready, but I also have grandchildren which is why nothing is loaded and unlocked. We can't even transport a firearm from a gun shop here without a trigger lock.
      I have a 12ga for home defense for a number of reasons, not the least of which is lack of wall/door penetration...as well as the ability to just aim in a general direction.

One handgun won't cover what you want it to really. Daddymack gave you great choices for a bear stopper but they don't exactly make great target shootets, expensive ammo and stout recoil. A 357 mag would come closest though it's weak for grizzlies but you can shoot 38 Specials through it at the range for fun.

I'd recommend a nice .22 for the range (a Ruger Mark IV is hard to beat and fairly cheap) and a 12 Guage for home defense. Now if you want more punch at the range go with a 357 mag you still have the option of loading it with 38s to cut costs and recoil but still go with the 12 for the home.

BTW where are these vending machines you speak of, do you guys realize how stupid you sound with this crap and yet here we are those you mock helping you out.
    Last edited by NOS68; 10-25-2017, 12:17 AM.

Comment

A Stratocaster. It has three pickups! (IOW, I have no suggestions.)
      My band!:
      [URL="http://www.steelphantoms.com/"]www.steelphantoms.com/[/URL]
      my stage stuff:
      fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post
        .357 mag or the .44 is a good choice. Good stopping power.
        Taurus is good value and they get positive reviews. Made in Brazil.
        My problem is my guns are locked up and the ammo is locked up.
        I'd have to call 'time out' while I fetch the key, load and aim.
        Do you have kids around the house? If not why keep them like that, even if you do a biometric safe is a better choice Remember an unloaded gun is a piss poor club at best.

Comment

• RogueGnome
          RogueGnome commented
          Editing a comment
          My kids are grown. I have two grandchildren.
          My daughter-in-law would probably never allow them in my place again if the guns weren't under lock-and-key.
          I got them more for recreation/target with my other son, more than for home security.

Bear? .357 revolver.
        "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
        Sam Adams: terrorist, patriot, and public enemy #1.

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
          Phil O'Keefe commented
          Editing a comment
          That might work for a black bear in California, but it's a lot less gun that I'd want if I was going up against an angry brown bear / Kodiak bear / grizzly bear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	121657
Views:	2
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	32088483

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
        For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
        Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
          Phil O'Keefe commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you recommending a Blaster, or the Mauser it was based on?

• daddymack
          daddymack commented
          Editing a comment
          as opposed to a light sabre?

• E-money
          E-money commented
          Editing a comment
          blaster.

no suggestions on what kind of gun you should buy, but don't sign the receipt 'Crazyfoo'.

Comment

• daddymack
          daddymack commented
          Editing a comment
          very good point...although I'd bet the didn't sign that way on his permit application...

so reasonable restrictions don't prevent people from owning guns? someone better not tell the NRA

Comment

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post
          A Stratocaster. It has three pickups! (IOW, I have no suggestions.)
          I wonder what 50 watts of feedback would do to a bear.
          Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.

...Pericles

Comment

• daddymack
            daddymack commented
            Editing a comment
            like being shot with a small bore firearm...just piss it off...

Bear stopper...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
            Phil O'Keefe commented
            Editing a comment
            This.

Frankly, at close range, that's about the best thing you can get for that purpose.

• daddymack
            daddymack commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm a huge slugger fan...makes my 12GA a miniature portable cannon!
            But...I would not use that round for home defense [see previous comment regarding penetration]. I've used slugs against a number of random targets over the years [like abandoned vehicles, refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers...out in the desert] with similar outcomes, including toppling a fridge.

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post
          My kids are grown. I have two grandchildren.
          My daughter-in-law would probably never allow them in my place again if the guns weren't under lock-and-key.
          I got them more for recreation/target with my other son, more than for home security..
          With kids around under lock and key is obviously the way to go. But still keeping one loaded or with a loaded mag in the same safe (prefferedly a quick access one) is the way to go. Sure your odds of needing are very slim but if you do.

Comment

Originally posted by moogerfooger View Post
          so reasonable restrictions don't prevent people from owning guns? someone better not tell the NRA
          No, the government in Canada decides if they want to allow you to have one or not (so there's the possibility that those restrictions actually do prevent some good people from obtaining firearms), which is different than here, where unless there's some reason why you shouldn't have one, you're entitled to get one if you wish.

Their restrictions would not pass Constitutional muster here in the USA due to that pesky Second Amendment...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by NOS68 View Post
            One handgun won't cover what you want it to really. Daddymack gave you great choices for a bear stopper but they don't exactly make great target shootets, expensive ammo and stout recoil. A 357 mag would come closest though it's weak for grizzlies but you can shoot 38 Specials through it at the range for fun.

I'd recommend a nice .22 for the range (a Ruger Mark IV is hard to beat and fairly cheap) and a 12 Guage for home defense. Now if you want more punch at the range go with a 357 mag you still have the option of loading it with 38s to cut costs and recoil but still go with the 12 for the home.

BTW where are these vending machines you speak of, do you guys realize how stupid you sound with this crap and yet here we are those you mock helping you out.
            You DO realize he doesn’t think there are ACTUALLY vending machines that sell guns, don’t you?

Comment

• NOS68
              NOS68 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya think that may be why I said 'mock us'?

• RogueGnome
              RogueGnome commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a bidness opportunity to me.

• guido61
              guido61 commented
              Editing a comment
              He asking for advice on buying guns. Obviously he supports gun ownership.

If a foreign gun supporter thinks our easy accessibility to guns is a bit over the top and is ripe for a bit of mocking.....perhaps he has a point.

After a certain point, the arrogance of some Americans who can’t seem to imagine that the rest of the world doesn’t always think our laws and policies are 100% logical and understandable and always correct gets a bit embarrassing.

Working...
          X