No announcement yet.

OT: Saw King Crimson last night...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Saw King Crimson last night...

And I have to say they were, for the most part, a crushing disappointment. Where to begin....

1) There was NO energy. Even the most intense passages felt unconvincing and "soft" for lack of a better word. For a band famous for their dynamic range, there wasn't much of it. Part of it was the mix, which left much to be desired, but only part. Which brings me to:

2) The drummers. Despite clear effort on their part to avoid it, 3 drummers just sucked all the air and space out of the music. All 3 of them are fantastic musicians, but I'd have been happier with any one of them. There are only so many snare flams I can take

3) The material. This is clearly a personal taste thing, but I have very little use for any KC that pre-dates the advent of Bill Bruford... and they played LOTS of it. Epitaph... Islands (Islands? Really???)... yawn.
    There were some bright spots... Mel Collins is fantastic. Jakko is an amazing singer and a great player. Tony Levin is like Colt 45 - works every time

This show also reminded me how much I dislike seeing live music that isn't improvisational in nature these days. Especially when it isn't as powerful and impactful as the records it attempts to recreate. Maybe I'm just a jazzhole, but I NEED adventure, risk and exploration in my live music, and with the exception of a lovely Mel Collins solo excursion, there really wasn't any.

All that being said, I'm glad I went. In an age when the catalog revenue of musicians, even ones with extensive catalogs spanning decades, approaches zero, playing out is the only way to earn a living. And these master musicians deserve to earn a living, so I am happy to contribute, grateful as I am for the countless hours of enjoyment their music has given me over the years.

/rant.
    Last edited by Red Ant; 10-20-2017, 12:29 PM.
    Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

And this is somehow different from their records?
    My band!:
    [URL="http://www.steelphantoms.com/"]www.steelphantoms.com/[/URL]
    my stage stuff:
    fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Talk. It’s only talk.
      Babble, burble, banter, bicker bicker bicker
      Brouhaha, balderdash, ballyhoo
      It's only talk

Comment

3 drummers is fine as long as 2 of them are waiting in the wings in case the first guy and second guy gets hurt or tired.
        3 drummers is also fine if none of them have all 4 of their appendages.
        But 3 fully functional drummers playing at the same time is a bad idea.

I've seen a handful of live shows over the last couple years and have lost all desire to see live music ever again.
        Steely Dan was the only band left that I cared to see with regularity, but not now that Walter is gone.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
        For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
        Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

meh.I never really liked King Crimson. I always thought Adrian Belew was a David Byrne wanna be.
          Originally posted by nedezero1;
          Good. More lib fake news correspondents need to be assaulted when they get too pushy.
          http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...nches-reporter

The emails giveth and the emails taketh away

Comment

Originally posted by harrycox1 View Post
            meh.I never really liked King Crimson. I always thought Adrian Belew was a David Byrne wanna be.

The Crimson I like pre-dates Belew.

Last edited by Red Ant; 10-20-2017, 02:35 PM.
            Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post
              I've seen a handful of live shows over the last couple years and have lost all desire to see live music ever again.
              As Bill Bruford so aptly put it recently:

"I have a real hard time seeing live music these days, cause when its good I want to play, and when its not I want to leave".

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
                Phil O'Keefe commented
                Editing a comment
                Great quote!!!

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

As Bill Bruford so aptly put it recently:

"I have a real hard time seeing live music these days, cause when its good I want to play, and when its not I want to leave".

Oh my god! That perfectly encapsulates my outlook on going to shows!
              __________________________________________________ _____

Here's what I did today: https://matthewsams.wordpress.com

Here's my music: http://mattsams.bandcamp.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kreatorkind View Post
                Oh my god! That perfectly encapsulates my outlook on going to shows!
                Mine too. Must be a musician thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

The Crimson I like pre-dates Belew.

KC is so broad with such a lengthy history. There’s stuff I like and dislike about all their eras. The first album is still The Godfather of all Prog Rock, IMO. But Discipline and Thrak are still probably my faves.

Belew is a Bynre wannabe? I won’t argue with that. But he pulled it off nicely and set it into a nice groove with Fripp, Levin and Bruford. What a lineup!
                  Last edited by guido61; 10-20-2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

LOL
                    That's the way I felt when I saw Alan Holdsworth.
                    It was one long slog to get through that show.
                    George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
                    Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post
                      Steely Dan was the only band left that I cared to see with regularity, but not now that Walter is gone.
                      Yo, not me. I moved from country to city last year and I am wearing out the venues in Portland, OR. So many good musicians to listen to even though it's nothing compared to some towns. And hey, live music needs my support. I'm in heaven. Half the time it's free or under ten bucks a show. Beers are five bucks, four if you know where to go. Seen some pretty interesting shows. Take these twinks for example - love the music (Is that Daryl on bass?). The first song could be a world-wide hit, IMHO. I can picture Freddy Mercury singing the last one.

Last edited by Hoot Owl; 10-20-2017, 05:01 PM.
                      George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
                      Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

Mine too. Must be a musician thing.

Not mine. Which could further validate the premise.

The only King Crimson I'm familiar with is Court of the Crimson King. I have no idea if it's representative, it came out when I was in high school and got a lot of play.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
                          Yo, not me. I moved from country to city last year and I am wearing out the venues in Portland, OR. So many good musicians to listen to even though it's nothing compared to some towns. And hey, live music needs my support. I'm in heaven. Half the time it's free or under ten bucks a show. Beers are five bucks, four if you know where to go. Seen some pretty interesting shows. Take these twinks for example - love the music (Is that Daryl on bass?). The first song could be a world-wide hit, IMHO.

Shoot me now.

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

• Hoot Owl
                            Hoot Owl commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Better yet, you can produce them.

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
                          Yo, not me. I moved from country to city last year and I am wearing out the venues in Portland, OR. So many good musicians to listen to even though it's nothing compared to some towns. And hey, live music needs my support. I'm in heaven. Half the time it's free or under ten bucks a show. Beers are five bucks, four if you know where to go. Seen some pretty interesting shows. Take these twinks for example - love the music (Is that Daryl on bass?). The first song could be a world-wide hit, IMHO. The last one's pretty interesting too. I can picture Freddy Mercury singing it.

I really want to hurt that lead singer.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
                          For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
                          Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Working...
                          X