Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Evangelical Trump supporters

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post

    Er, well your first sentence is accurate. The second is a nonsensical non-sequitur. Why should evangelism require you to question the sincerity of others' faith?

    Simple. If you're peddling your faith to others as the one true path to eternal salvation, you're dismissing their beliefs as something less than your own. That sort of cultural arrogance does immense harm to humanity.

    I would gain considerable respect for religions if they didn't tend to indoctrinate children whose brains are not yet developed enough to understand theology. And I don't buy the argument that children need religion to provide moral guidance, for which thoughtful instruction in the golden rule will suffice.
    !

    Comment


    • Originally posted by arf-boy View Post


      Simple. If you're peddling your faith to others as the one true path to eternal salvation, you're dismissing their beliefs as something less than your own. That sort of cultural arrogance does immense harm to humanity.

      I would gain considerable respect for religions if they didn't tend to indoctrinate children whose brains are not yet developed enough to understand theology. And I don't buy the argument that children need religion to provide moral guidance, for which thoughtful instruction in the golden rule will suffice.
      Er, yeah, Christianity doesn't hold all beliefs from atheism to scientology in equal esteem. I don't know of any faith that does, not even leftism. Although that doesn't mean I doubt the sincerity of a committed atheist, Buddhist, etc.. But the Christian ethic of accepting another's confession of faith at face value was referring to the Christian faith specifically.



      While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post

        Er, yeah, Christianity doesn't hold all beliefs from atheism to scientology in equal esteem. I don't know of any faith that does, not even leftism. Although that doesn't mean I doubt the sincerity of a committed atheist, Buddhist, etc.. But the Christian ethic of accepting another's confession of faith at face value was referring to the Christian faith specifically.
        so why are christians so quick to label someone not a real christian?

        can you elaborate on what beliefs atheists hold that christians don't hold in esteem? what exactly is a committed atheist?
        Last edited by moogerfooger; 10-18-2017, 09:15 AM.

        Comment


        • Hoot Owl
          Hoot Owl commented
          Editing a comment
          Atheists are committed to reason. They don't fall for everything they are told.

          Right now, this atheist is committed to going outside to smoke a bowl. See ya.

      • Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post

        Er, yeah, Christianity doesn't hold all beliefs from atheism to scientology in equal esteem. I don't know of any faith that does, not even leftism. Although that doesn't mean I doubt the sincerity of a committed atheist, Buddhist, etc.. But the Christian ethic of accepting another's confession of faith at face value was referring to the Christian faith specifically.

        Ahem. Leftism is a set of liberal political beliefs, not a religious faith. It's just this type of snideness that makes some Christians aggravating to the general public. You didn't equate conservatism to a religion, just liberalism, despite overwhelming evidence that your Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ espoused liberal views of tolerance and urged his followers to pay their taxes. ("Render unto Caesar ...")

        Don't drag politics down to the level of religion, please.
        !

        Comment


        • Gullible is as gullible does?
          -------------------------------------------------------
          The emperor marched in the procession under the beautiful canopy, and all who saw him in the street and out of the windows exclaimed: Indeed, the emperor's new suit is incomparable! What a long train he has! How well it fits him! Nobody wished to let others know he saw nothing, for then he would have been unfit for his office or too stupid. Never an emperor's clothes were more admired.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by guido61 View Post
            Hmmm...... I guess I should have realized this would quickly devolve into a Christian-bashing thread. Not my intent.

            I was sincerely trying to ask the Evangelical Trump supporters on this forum how they feel about the the bargain with the devil that they have cast. I know there are many evangelicals who truly believe that Trump is a good, Christian man. I've met many of these people. But it doesn't seem we have many, if any, of those here.

            My take is the evangelicals on our forum are all pretty cognizant of who Trump really is. So I'm genuinely curious as to how they have come to terms with putting their support behind who is, in all likelihood, the most un-Christian, most immoral and most unethical man to yet hold the office of POTUS?
            I understand your intent, no problem, it is a good question. If you look into the lives of many of the OT bible patriarchs like Abraham, Moses, David,,,they were far from being perfect and holy yet God used them as leaders. So it is by my faith in God for Trump, despite some character flaws, that God could use him to be a leader of the US to improve things. I do not believe the 92% of bad reports fake news is saying about him just to make things worse.

            I took a 50 question quiz of policies a while back and I agreed with 88% of Trumps policies vs 4% Hillary, so that alone was a good indicator for me.

            As far as inherent evil in a person, have you heard about the what they are saying about the Uranium One deal, and the approx 100+, million the Clintons got while Hillary was in office from Russia according to Fox news 2 days ago. There is a lot hitting the fan now with corruption all over Washington being exposed.
            Last edited by LARRY L; 10-19-2017, 10:26 AM.

            Comment


            • Tom Hicks
              Tom Hicks commented
              Editing a comment
              You can probably safely disregard 92% of what Fox news reports.

            • Hoot Owl
              Hoot Owl commented
              Editing a comment
              And, of course, "what they are saying", in that last paragraph, isn't fake news.

              Somewhere, we have a breakdown of critical thinking.
              Last edited by Hoot Owl; 10-19-2017, 10:36 AM.

          • Originally posted by LARRY L View Post
            I do not believe the 92% of bad reports fake news is saying about him just to make things worse.
            Like what?

            And where exactly did you get the number "92%"?

            Comment


            • Hoot Owl
              Hoot Owl commented
              Editing a comment
              It is written...

              ...on the branches of the Conservative Treehouse.

          • Originally posted by moogerfooger View Post
            Christians are quick to give up their souls. It’s what they do
            How does one give what he doesn't have?
            George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
            Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by LARRY L View Post
              I understand your intent, no problem, it is a good question. If you look into the lives of many of the OT bible patriarchs like Abraham, Moses, David,,,they were far from being perfect and holy yet God used them as leaders. So it is by my faith in God for Trump, despite some character flaws, that God could use him to be a leader of the US to improve things. I do not believe the 92% of bad reports fake news is saying about him just to make things worse.

              I took a 50 question quiz of policies a while back and I agreed with 88% of Trumps policies vs 4% Hillary, so that alone was a good indicator for me.

              As far as inherent evil in a person, have you heard about the what they are saying about the Uranium One deal, and the approx 100+, million the Clintons got while Hillary was in office from Russia according to Fox news 2 days ago. There is a lot hitting the fan now with corruption all over Washington being exposed.
              Who gets to decide what is God (good) and what is evil?

              You certainly seem to have made up your mind.
              As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
              from the deepest hell to the highest states.

              It is up to you which one you choose to explore
              .

              Comment


              • Originally posted by LARRY L View Post
                I understand your intent, no problem, it is a good question. If you look into the lives of many of the OT bible patriarchs like Abraham, Moses, David,,,they were far from being perfect and holy yet God used them as leaders. So it is by my faith in God for Trump, despite some character flaws, that God could use him to be a leader of the US to improve things. I do not believe the 92% of bad reports fake news is saying about him just to make things worse.
                Believing what you want to believe just because it fits with your intended goals isn't really a good way to go about things. "Fake news"? Seriously? You buy into his "fake news" propaganda?

                C'mon. Be smarter than that. If you wanna tell me you've struck a bargain with the devil in order to get what you want out of him, fine. But don't tell me you buy the snake oil he's selling you.

                I took a 50 question quiz of policies a while back and I agreed with 88% of Trumps policies vs 4% Hillary, so that alone was a good indicator for me.

                As far as inherent evil in a person, have you heard about the what they are saying about the Uranium One deal, and the approx 100+, million the Clintons got while Hillary was in office from Russia according to Fox news 2 days ago. There is a lot hitting the fan now with corruption all over Washington being exposed.
                Presuming it's all true and Hillary Clinton is the most corrupt politician to ever walk the face of the earth...the subject now is the current POTUS. It's kinda past time to get over Hillary Clinton, doncha think?
                Last edited by guido61; 10-19-2017, 10:33 AM.
                ______________

                Comment


                • Originally posted by arf-boy View Post


                  Simple. If you're peddling your faith to others as the one true path to eternal salvation, you're dismissing their beliefs as something less than your own. That sort of cultural arrogance does immense harm to humanity.

                  I would gain considerable respect for religions if they didn't tend to indoctrinate children whose brains are not yet developed enough to understand theology. And I don't buy the argument that children need religion to provide moral guidance, for which thoughtful instruction in the golden rule will suffice.
                  To believe like you do I would have to reject what Jesus said about being the only way for salvation, and his death and resurrection on the cross for the payment for my sins. He is exclusive being the Son of God that came to earth. What do we do with that? You either reject it or believe it and follow Christ in faith.

                  Comment


                  • Komandi
                    Komandi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes. You would have to reject impossible nonsense.

                • Originally posted by LARRY L View Post
                  To believe like you do I would have to reject what Jesus said about being the only way for salvation, and his death and resurrection on the cross for the payment for my sins. He is exclusive being the Son of God that came to earth. What do we do with that? You either reject it or believe it and follow Christ in faith.
                  Have you ever played the game of telephone or observed others playing it? It's really very funny seeing how the meaning is changed and distorted as it passes from person to person.

                  Religious scriptures are in essence an ancient game of telephone. Assuming there was an actual historical Jesus, what he actually said may bear little to no resemblance to what people later claimed he said.
                  __________________________________________________

                  Is This Thing On?

                  https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by guido61 View Post

                    Believing what you want to believe just because it fits with your intended goals isn't really a good way to go about things. "Fake news"? Seriously? You buy into his "fake news" propaganda?

                    C'mon. Be smarter than that. If you wanna tell me you've struck a bargain with the devil in order to get what you want out of him, fine. But don't tell me you buy the snake oil he's selling you.



                    Presuming it's all true and Hillary Clinton is the most corrupt politician to ever walk the face of the earth...the subject now is the current POTUS. It's kinda past time to get over Hillary Clinton, doncha think?
                    Sure bury your head in the sand and keep saying I do not believe she did anything wrong and the millions they got from Russia and others was because Russia cares for helping people using their foundation as a means. Why almost no news on the dirt the Obama administration did yet a 1000 x magnify on Trump's wrongs and speculated wrongs? It is so unbalanced these reports now on Trump, that's is why millions are calling it fake news. Propaganda to the fullest extent.

                    The voters outside the cities, who are not getting the free handouts, have made themselves known last November that they do not buy it either.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Tom Hicks View Post

                      Have you ever played the game of telephone or observed others playing it? It's really very funny seeing how the meaning is changed and distorted as it passes from person to person.

                      Religious scriptures are in essence an ancient game of telephone. Assuming there was an actual historical Jesus, what he actually said may bear little to no resemblance to what people later claimed he said.
                      You are ignorant to how scrupulously the bible was maintained and how the books were preserved. Try reading up on it.

                      I also have a testimony of the radical change Jesus did and is doing in my personal life after receiving His gift of salvation. That is the real proof I have that Jesus is alive today and will come to judge the living and the dead. No amount of reports, new ideas, can change what I experience daily with my relationship I have with God. It is His peace that passes all understanding is what I am talking about. It is time to give Him the praise He deserves!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by LARRY L View Post
                        Sure bury your head in the sand and keep saying I do not believe she did anything wrong and the millions they got from Russia and others was because Russia cares for helping people using their foundation as a means. Why almost no news on the dirt the Obama administration did yet a 1000 x magnify on Trump's wrongs and speculated wrongs? It is so unbalanced these reports now on Trump, that's is why millions are calling it fake news. Propaganda to the fullest extent.

                        The voters outside the cities, who are not getting the free handouts, have made themselves known last November that they do not buy it either.
                        There's so much misinformation in your post that's hard to know where to start.

                        The company uranium one at the time donations were made to the Clinton Foundation was owned by Canadians not Russians. Check the date and you'll see that the donation proceeded Russian interest in acquiring part of the company.

                        Various departments of the United States government were required to sign off approval of the uranium one purchase, including the state department. But there is no evidence that the making of that decision rose to the level of the secretary.

                        Dig deep beneath the accusations and the propaganda and let the facts inform your opinion.
                        __________________________________________________

                        Is This Thing On?

                        https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

                        Comment













                        Working...
                        X