No announcement yet.

OT: Gallagher Guitars

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Gallagher Guitars

I know of them (only because Doc Watson played them) but I have never seen or played one, myself.
    They got a nice write-up in CNN.
    Only building 30-60 instruments/year.
    What is your experience with them?

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/wo...ars/index.html

To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

They're great for smashing watermelons.

Comment

I've never played one.

I'll bet they're expensive.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Never heard of them.
        Your link isn't working for me.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
        For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
        Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post
          They're great for smashing watermelons.
          Was tempted to go there, but didn't... I suppose someone had to eventually.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post
            Never heard of them.
            Your link isn't working for me.
            It wasn't working for me either - I had to C&P it into my browser's address bar to get it to work.

- George Carlin

Comment

PS I fixed the link in the OP - it should be working for everyone now.

- George Carlin

Comment

Thanks for fixing the link Phil, I enjoyed the article and I'm intrigued.

But I'm also cheap and impatient, so somebody else buy one a let us know if they are the acoustic holy grail.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
                Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Well, Doc (rest his soul) played them for the last 40+ years and before that Martins, so that right there speaks highly of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Telecruiser View Post
                    Well, Doc (rest his soul) played them for the last 40+ years and before that Martins, so that right there speaks highly of them.

But what did Doc Martin play?

Comment

• Telecruiser
                      Telecruiser commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A Gallagher guitar or were you meaning something else?

• Telecruiser
                      Telecruiser commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oops! I didn't see the Martin after Doc. My bad.

I have held and strumed a couple of them over the years. Very nice dreadnaughts on par with Martin, Bougious, etc.

Comment

A local (St. Louis) guy, actually a Catholic priest, is a Bluegrass player and has a maple Gallagher dreadnought. It's quite nice and sounds amazing. Of course, he's also a very good player. In my hands it would probably sound like baling wire on a 2X4. As for price, I saw a used Doc Watson a while back and it was priced on par with a Martin. They're a bit pricier new.
                      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                      Member of the Schecter Society
                      Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
                        A local (St. Louis) guy, actually a Catholic priest, is a Bluegrass player and has a maple Gallagher dreadnought. It's quite nice and sounds amazing. Of course, he's also a very good player. In my hands it would probably sound like baling wire on a 2X4. As for price, I saw a used Doc Watson a while back and it was priced on par with a Martin. They're a bit pricier new.

Aren't Catholic priests supposed to take an oath of poverty?
                        Sell the Gallagher, buy a Yamaha, and give the rest to charity.

Comment

Working...
                        X