Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Trump the personification of everything that is wrong with Boomers?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Trump the personification of everything that is wrong with Boomers?

Just an observation. The narcissism, the "I've got mine" mentality, etc.

He appears to me sometimes as the ultimate Boomer. Or the ultimate expression of everything that is wrong with that generation.

Not a dig at Boomers. My old folks are Boomers. But every generation/demographic has its flaws, and he does seem to be a pure distillation of the flaws of that particular age group.
    Last edited by gubu; 10-09-2017, 07:26 AM.
    flip the phase

Trump personifies someone with narcissistic personality disorder. Are boomers more narcissistic than other groups? Maybe... They didn't popularize the selfie though.
    http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

All generations can be narcissistic. Is Trump the personification of the Boomer form of it? Perhaps.

But my problem (or the nation's problem, really) is less that Trump is who he is and more how many people there are who love him for it.

Comment

tRump is the personification of mental illness.
        "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
        Sam Adams: terrorist, patriot, and public enemy #1.

Comment

I guess the observation comes partly from the fact that, of my American FB buddies, his biggest cheerleaders are ALL Boomers. They just don't seem to see what the rest of us see in him, at all.

And it's not just the narcissism. It's the whole package. You know, Boomers who didn't really get the point of sexual liberation/free love, and used it as an excuse for perviness and sexual predation.

The blinkered insistence on knowing what's best for society, because your financial independence gives you an ivory tower upon which to perch. When in reality you look down your nose on the less well off, minorities etc.

I dunno. Perhaps I didn't think this through, completely. I don't mind admitting that the sight of Trump, lately, makes me go "ugh, Boomers".

Ymmv
          flip the phase

Comment

Stupidity ignorance and entitlement can be found in every generation.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
            For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
            Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Originally posted by gubu View Post
              I guess the observation comes partly from the fact that, of my American FB buddies, his biggest cheerleaders are ALL Boomers. They just don't seem to see what the rest of us see in him, at all.

And it's not just the narcissism. It's the whole package. You know, Boomers who didn't really get the point of sexual liberation/free love, and used it as an excuse for perviness and sexual predation.

The blinkered insistence on knowing what's best for society, because your financial independence gives you an ivory tower upon which to perch. When in reality you look down your nose on the less well off, minorities etc.

I dunno. Perhaps I didn't think this through, completely. I don't mind admitting that the sight of Trump, lately, makes me go "ugh, Boomers".

Ymmv
              I see it a bit differently. I see a lot of his support coming from Gen X and Millennial males who champion his brand of misogynistic behavior and see him as a role model in that regard. The ones for whom quality in discourse is measured by how snarky one can be. The guys who didn't just look past his "grab them by the pussy" comments but celebrated them.

"Real" men just take what they want and make excuses later. The "strongest" men don't ever need to make excuses because they can afford to buy their way out of any problems they cause for themselves.

This is how they see Trump and why they admire him so much.

Comment

• Tom Hicks
                Tom Hicks commented
                Editing a comment
                The racists, bigots and neo-confederates marching in Charlottesville appeared to be younger white males not Boomers

Just an observation.

• New Trail
                New Trail commented
                Editing a comment
                I got scolded for it before, but I didn't say it this time.

Originally posted by gubu View Post
              Just an observation. The narcissism, the "I've got mine" mentality, etc.

He appears to me sometimes as the ultimate Boomer. Or the ultimate expression of everything that is wrong with that generation.

Not a dig at Boomers. My old folks are Boomers. But every generation/demographic has its flaws, and he does seem to be a pure distillation of the flaws of that particular age group.

And yet the boomers started out as the hippies - or at least a good chunk of them did. They were going to change the world - and to be fair, they DID in a lot of ways. But then the optimism and turmoil of the 60s turned into the pessimism of the 70s and then the greed of the 80s, and things kind of just kept moving away from where they started...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• LARRY L
                LARRY L commented
                Editing a comment
                That seems to be the trait with many causes, they start out with good intentions then end up at the same place or even worse. The same old, just relabeled.

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

And yet the boomers started out as the hippies - or at least a good chunk of them did. They were going to change the world - and to be fair, they DID in a lot of ways. But then the optimism and turmoil of the 60s turned into the pessimism of the 70s and then the greed of the 80s, and things kind of just kept moving away from where they started...
              Trump was never a hippie though. For every hippie kid in the 60s there was another straight-laced one who rebelled against that, supported the establishment, etc.

They didn't get the press the hippies did. But they were there. And Trump was one of those kids.

Comment

I'm a boomer.
              I don't know anyone anything like Trump (thankfully).
              To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Comment

He's in a different class because he's clearly a narcissist and has psych and mental issues. He honestly reminds me more of people now who troll facebook and twitter picking fights with random people over stupid things.
                Last edited by SexWithRobots; 10-09-2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Trump is the personification of everything that is wrong - period.
                  x

Comment

If I were to characterize Trump in Broad Strokes I would say spoiled little Rich Kid that never grew up.

Is This Thing On?

https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

Comment

There have been tons of articles the past couple years about how baby boomers are the most selfish generation. Such articles focus mainly on economics, pointing out how boomers dominating the Rep party have just wanted tax cuts, feeling entitled to a society that benefits from good public education and public infrastructure but unwilling to invest in it (example: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...ration-2016-11 ), or some focus on the culture business, with boomers being less likely to entertain a multicultural America (this is a sweeping generalization).

Trump does embody some of this; i mean, he is the crazy grandpa who's losing touch and has a perception of reality based on Fox News. But Trump also has something else...

The nationalists--and nazis and kkk uprising--seems fueled largely by young men. I say, jokingly, that these defense-mech-driven little butts are all suffering Stephen Miller syndrome. They didn't get their way during adolescence 5 or 10 years ago, and they blamed it on 'PC' and other races. Throw into this mix a lot of testosterone and decades-old institutions that want to recruit offended, defensive young white men to wage ideological, political, and sometimes physical battles on these lines, and stuff gets wild.

Put these young idealists together with the mass of traditional Republican boomers, have the Dems run a Clinton so that 47% can't stomach pulling the lever for their ticket*, and voila, Trump is pres.

(*Thats right. I blame the Dems for finding a way to lose to the most horrendous candidate in history.)
                      Last edited by arcadesonfire; 10-09-2017, 11:20 AM.
                      My band!:
                      [URL="http://www.steelphantoms.com/"]www.steelphantoms.com/[/URL]
                      my stage stuff:
                      fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

I think Trump is a great guy. What are you guys talking about?

Comment

• LARRY L
                          LARRY L commented
                          Editing a comment
                          OK, I was the kid who liked to throw a spray can into camp fire...

• Snowden
                          Snowden commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Your support of Trump and admission of throwing aerosol cans into fires really makes sense. Destruction seems to be the common link.

• RogueGnome
                          RogueGnome commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If only we had elected an aerosol can instead.

Working...
                      X