No announcement yet.

OT: just bought a Yamaha CP70

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: just bought a Yamaha CP70

I've been wanting one if these forever !
    Got a nice one for $650.
    I know it's an old dinosaur but love the action and I've always been inspired playing one - going into my rec room !
    i like palin.
    i think she would rattle some cages and that's what america needs.
    ~ yumpy

Fun stuff!
    RobRoy: "There is an "honest grit" to his lying."

Comment

That's pretty cool.

Any examples of where these were used on recordings or musicians who used them?

Nevermind:
      Other notable users of the Yamaha CP series pianos include Billy Joel ("My Life", "All for Leyna", "I Don't Want to Be Alone", "Sleeping with the Television On", "Pressure", "Surprises"); Steve Hillier of Dubstar, who wrote all three of the band's albums for EMI on his CP-70B; Split Enz keyboard player Eddie Rayner, who played a CP-80 regularly throughout the group's most successful period in the early-mid 1980s; Vangelis; Benny Andersson of ABBA; Mick MacNeil of Simple Minds; the Edge of U2; Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Keith Godchaux and Brent Mydland of the Grateful Dead; Hall & Oates ("Kiss on My List", "Private Eyes"); Rainbow ("Since You Been Gone"); Roxy Music ("Oh Yeah"); Toto ("Hold the Line"); Foreigner ("Waiting for a Girl Like You"); Kerry Livgren of Kansas ("Lonely Wind"); and Aaron Morgan of Seabird.
      Last edited by E-money; 09-14-2017, 12:58 PM.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
      For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
      Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Just stole some examples from google -
        I know U2 used the CP70 a lot
        New Years Day is a good example and Peter Gabriel used it on a ton of stuff

I can't wait to hook up some effects to it and get a day off from work !

Other examples - copied this from google ....

Genesis - And Then There Were Three (pretty minimal), Duke (decent bit), Abacab, Genesis, Invisible Touch (clutching at straws with those three)

Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling (drenched with it)

Tangerine Dream - Tangram (small but effective usage), Pergamon/East Berlin (album version is good, radio version is even better, only 6 minutes of a two+ hour set but holy hell it's beautiful), I imagine it's on some of the soundtracks/live albums/possibly studio albums from the early 80s of this band

Simple Minds - All The Things She Said (cool chords in the verses), probably more but not familiar with the band

Peter Gabriel - 3 (from what I recall a good amount), Security (?)

The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic (classic)

Phil Collins - A Groovy Kind of Love (decent)
        i like palin.
        ~ yumpy

Comment

pretty sure Journey's "Dont Stop Believin" is a CP-70 with a bit of chorus?
          RobRoy: "There is an "honest grit" to his lying."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	d4b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	32060984
            In Internet slang, a troll (/troul, trɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement.

There's no reasoning with a tRump supporter. If there was, there wouldn't be any.

Comment

Ok ok as soon as I pick it up and get it set up I'll post !
              Driving to Vancouver at end of month to get it
              My back is not looking forward to it
              i like palin.
              ~ yumpy

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyfoo View Post
                Got a nice one for $650.
                I know it's an old dinosaur but love the action and I've always been inspired playing one - going into my rec room !
                I had a Yamaha YZ250. It sounded pretty good. Not familiar with the CP70. It would take more than 70cc's to haul my fat ass around anyway. Be sure and wear a helmet.
                Last edited by harrycox1; 09-14-2017, 04:07 PM.
                Originally posted by nedezero1;
                Good. More lib fake news correspondents need to be assaulted when they get too pushy.
                http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...nches-reporter

The emails giveth and the emails taketh away

Comment

Congratulations. Happy New Piano Day.
                  Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                  Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                  Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                  Member of the Schecter Society
                  Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Got a nice one for $650.
                    I'm jealous. do you know how to tune?

Comment

Originally posted by moogerfooger View Post

I'm jealous. do you know how to tune?
                      I don't - have a local girl coming to tune it as soon as I set it up and after that I'll be learning from YT.
                      Guido you must've had one in the day?
                      When I was on road fulltime in 80's I had an ensoniq ESQ-1 and at the time it was the chit for piano and easy to carry !
                      i like palin.
                      ~ yumpy

Comment

NOGD...(new old gear day) cool. Been there many times, some of them even memorable. Have fun in Vancouver too. I was just there in June.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakburger View Post
                          NOGD...(new old gear day) cool. Been there many times, some of them even memorable. Have fun in Vancouver too. I was just there in June.
                          Nice, let me know next time you're there - I'm there several times a year for weekends and concerts etc.
                          Going last weekend in October to see Roger waters and again in December for Diana krall, love that place !
                          i like palin.
                          ~ yumpy

Comment

Nice, let me know next time you're there - I'm there several times a year for weekends and concerts etc.
                            Going last weekend in October to see Roger waters and again in December for Diana krall, love that place !
                            Will do. Actually it was the first time I've been there in about 15 years but the wife and I plan to explore BC with our RV as soon as she finally quits her job at the gallery. Likewise let me know if you ever head south into Washington.

Comment

• Crazyfoo
                              Crazyfoo commented
                              Editing a comment
                              If they ever give me holidays - they have me on a pretty short leash these days but I'm living it! Revelstoke is a fun town

I have a PF-80. Piano 1 is a sample that I always thought was a CP-80. That's what it sounds like through the onboard. Last year or so I got an amp for it and now it's like an 80s sample of a standard piano.
                            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

• Crazyfoo
                              Crazyfoo commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My Kurzweil has a really nice CP 70 sound but only really good in the middle register - after that it loses its realism
                          Working...
                          X