No announcement yet.

OT: just bought a Yamaha CP70

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazyfoo View Post

I don't - have a local girl coming to tune it as soon as I set it up and after that I'll be learning from YT.
    Guido you must've had one in the day?
    When I was on road fulltime in 80's I had an ensoniq ESQ-1 and at the time it was the chit for piano and easy to carry !

No I never had one. I carried around a Helpinstill Roadmaster instead. Which I had to tune every couple of weeks.

Comment

Ok ok as soon as I pick it up and get it set up I'll post !
      Driving to Vancouver at end of month to get it
      My back is not looking forward to it
      They're heavy beasts, that's for sure, but back in the day they were about as close to a real piano sound as you could get from an EP.

Congrats - I wouldn't mind having one of those myself... although there's a bunch of other keyboards I'd rather get first.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

When I was on road fulltime in 80's I had an ensoniq ESQ-1 and at the time it was the chit for piano and easy to carry !
        I've still got mine, which I picked up in 1987 - it's sitting on a stand about four feet from where I'm currently sitting. Yes, they had a pretty decent acoustic piano sound - I thought it was at least as good as the one in the Mirage, which is what sealed the deal for the ESQ-1, and in retrospect, it was the far better keyboard for me to get.

I think they're highly under-rated hybrid synths. All analog except for the three wavetable oscillators. Curtis filters. If they had knobs instead of the single data slider, they'd be considered an in-demand classic synth today, but like the Roland JX-3P, the single slider editing puts a lot of people off and makes them think it's going to be as hard to program as a DX-7. It's not - the large screen and multiple buttons actually makes it fairly easy to edit and use.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

They're heavy beasts, that's for sure, but back in the day they were about as close to a real piano sound as you could get from an EP.

Congrats - I wouldn't mind having one of those myself... although there's a bunch of other keyboards I'd rather get first.
          Selmer Clavioline?

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
          For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
          Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

I've still got mine, which I picked up in 1987 - it's sitting on a stand about four feet from where I'm currently sitting. Yes, they had a pretty decent acoustic piano sound - I thought it was at least as good as the one in the Mirage, which is what sealed the deal for the ESQ-1, and in retrospect, it was the far better keyboard for me to get.

I think they're highly under-rated hybrid synths. All analog except for the three wavetable oscillators. Curtis filters. If they had knobs instead of the single data slider, they'd be considered an in-demand classic synth today, but like the Roland JX-3P, the single slider editing puts a lot of people off and makes them think it's going to be as hard to program as a DX-7. It's not - the large screen and multiple buttons actually makes it fairly easy to edit and use.
            Ahhh The Mirage! Loved that board. When that was introduced it allowed me to retire the Roadmaster
            and get me into sampling.

And the 8 bit sampler produced some great dirty sounds I've never been able to reproduce anywhere else. Loved the lo-fi quality of that board! A few years later when I replaced it with the EPS, I bought a rack mount version of the Mirage to play those samples.

I eventually sold that too, but kept all those all samples to play on the EPS. Which sits packed away in the basement never used but I still feel better just knowing it's there!

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post

Selmer Clavioline?

Sure!

And maybe a MiniKorg 700S, ARP Omni, Minimoog, a Pro One (I never should have sold mine!), Prophet 5, Prophet 600 (and maybe one of the modern DSI synths), a Wurli 200A, Roland Jupiter 8, Obie OB-Xa, Rhodes Chroma... the list is long. If I had the money (and the room), I'd set up a nice little vintage synth / keyboard museum.

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post
                Ahhh The Mirage! Loved that board. When that was introduced it allowed me to retire the Roadmaster
                and get me into sampling.
                It was definitely a breakthrough at the time, and brought the price of sampling down to the point where mere mortals could afford to get into it in an era when the previous "affordable" sampler was the $8k E-Mu Emulator II.

And the 8 bit sampler produced some great dirty sounds I've never been able to reproduce anywhere else. Loved the lo-fi quality of that board! A few years later when I replaced it with the EPS, I bought a rack mount version of the Mirage to play those samples.
                That 8 bit sound went through a bit of a renaissance a few years back. The ESQ-1's wavetables are 8 bit too IIRC... it definitely adds to the grit and gives it a less pristine, somewhat more "aggressive" sound than higher resolution samples would.

I eventually sold that too, but kept all those all samples to play on the EPS. Which sits packed away in the basement never used but I still feel better just knowing it's there!
                I've still got three or four old Atari computers (1040STs / Mega ST/e's and C-Lab Notator and all the hardware for it) in storage for similar reasons...

- George Carlin

Comment

This looks like a good place to ask...

In the next year or two I'm planning on picking up a decent keyboard.

This weekend I'm beginning the framing of my "studio/jam space. The likelihood of the keys taken out for a gig is near nil. I'm turning in a portion of my pole barn into my music area for after retiring.

I know almost nothing about keys. My budget is around a grand. What should I look at and what should I look for?
                  Last edited by oldsoapbars; 09-15-2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsoapbars View Post

This weekend I'm beginning the framing of my "studio/jam space. The likelihood of the keys taken out for a gig is near nil. I'm turning in a portion of my pole barn into my music area for after retiring.

I know almost nothing about keys. My budget is around a grand. What should I look at and what should I look for?
                    What all would you like this keyboard to do? What features are you looking for?

Comment

What all would you like this keyboard to do? What features are you looking for?
                      It will be used for rock, jazz and blues. Something straight ahead that doesn't require years to master. It will run through a PA and will occasionally be used to go to the PC.

Nothing really fancy. I'm more interested in quality that a schidt ton of features.

I have an upright piano now (I still don't know how to play it)
                      Last edited by oldsoapbars; 09-15-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

87 is when I got mine too, think I paid about $2000 for it at Steve's music in Ottawa.
                        I loved the mirage too, and almost bought one but used that money for a used OB-Xa with midi I bought from the keyboard player of images in vogue - even came with the sequencer thingy too but I never used that.
                        Man those days were so much fun riding around in a 5 ton cube van going to a different town every week.
                        i like palin.
                        i think she would rattle some cages and that's what america needs.
                        ~ yumpy

Comment

It will be used for rock, jazz and blues. Something straight ahead that doesn't require years to master. It will run through a PA and will occasionally be used to go to the PC.

Nothing really fancy. I'm more interested in quality that a schidt ton of features.

Do you want piano-weighted action keys? Or synth-action keys? 88 keys or are you fine with 61? There are any number of really good sounding synths out there. The biggest expense is often due to the type and size of keybed you are interested in.

In the under $1000 category I'd suggest looking at the Yamaha MX boards. The MX61 sells for $699 61 keys that are synth-weighted. The MX88 with 88 piano-weighted keys is $999.

Or the Korg Kross boards. $699 for the 61 key and $1049 for the 88 key. As to which is better, the Korg or the Yamaha? A matter of personal taste. I like both brands equally well for different reasons.

Both are the entry-level stripped down versions of the big workstations they sell with very similar sounds. You don't get things like sampling, many on board controls, big touchscreens, metal casing, etc. But you do get good sounding boards with more sounds than you'll likely ever need to keep you interested and inspired.

Comment

Do you want piano-weighted action keys? Or synth-action keys? 88 keys or are you fine with 61? There are any number of really good sounding synths out there. The biggest expense is often due to the type and size of keybed you are interested in.

In the under $1000 category I'd suggest looking at the Yamaha MX boards. The MX61 sells for $699 61 keys that are synth-weighted. The MX88 with 88 piano-weighted keys is $999.

Or the Korg Kross boards. $699 for the 61 key and $1049 for the 88 key. As to which is better, the Korg or the Yamaha? A matter of personal taste. I like both brands equally well for different reasons.

Both are the entry-level stripped down versions of the big workstations they sell with very similar sounds. You don't get things like sampling, many on board controls, big touchscreens, metal casing, etc. But you do get good sounding boards with more sounds than you'll likely ever need to keep you interested and inspired.
                            Thank you. I'm going to start looking once I finish building the room. Korg or Yamaha seem like good choices.

I don't want to go to guitar center and say "take my money"

Comment

If you have the $, I don't think there's anything out there that touches the Korg Kronos.
                              And like guido said, the watered down versions are pretty sweet too. All the great sounds without the hefty price tag
                              i like palin.
                              i think she would rattle some cages and that's what america needs.
                              ~ yumpy

Comment

In addition to the excellent suggestions Guido made, you might also want to check out the Roland Juno DS88 (88 weighted keys, about $999 "street") and the Juno DS61 (61 synth action keys, about $699 "street"), which like the Yamaha and Korg offerings, have a ton of features and sounds to keep you preoccupied.

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                                X