Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to fight climate change? Have fewer children

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by LARRY L View Post

    "It's unclear how the organic material is preserved, but iron might help the proteins become cross-linked and unrecognizable, or unavailable to the bacteria that would otherwise consume them, Lacovara said. "I also read in the link "2 years with no decay"
    You guys have no problem with far out speculations and extrapolations that into the millions of times over. Do you not see all of this as a BIG reach, another "Hail Mary" pass?
    'Hail Mary pass'
    I see what ya done there, Larry.
    Perhaps you've heard or read of insects trapped in amber with their DNA intact? Up to even 100 million years?
    Back to Mary for a moment; you have no problem with an asexual human conception 2000 years ago, but preservation of organic matter in seldom heretofore known circumstances and years, well that just taxes the limits of reasonable plausibility for rational men.
    I hear ya, Larry.
    Last edited by RogueGnome; 09-19-2017, 05:55 PM.
    To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by guido61 View Post

      You understand gender because you've cut nine umbilical cords?
      My point was a women is not made like a man, there are undeniable differences. If the sexes are not well defined then would you marry a trans person if you were in a position to marry? Does Caitlyn Jenner ready to win the hearts of men now?

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by LARRY L View Post
        My point was a women is not made like a man, there are undeniable differences. If the sexes are not well defined then would you marry a trans person if you were in a position to marry? Does Caitlyn Jenner ready to win the hearts of men now?
        Believe it or not, there are straight non-trans people who find themselves attracted to trans folks. I'll write to you later today in the other thread about science and transgender business. And I'll write to you in this thread about the dino business we were talking about yesterday. I gotta get a bunch of work done first. In the meantime though, I'm confused about why you mentioned the Arrhenius equation multiple times yesterday. Which reactions specifically were you referring to? If there are other reactions going on in the buried samples and therefore different factors in the Arrhenius equations applied to parts of the samples, then wouldn't we get different time results than expected using the specific reactions we once presumed were working in there?


        (Edit: Quickest food for thought on gender: Recall that our genotype doesn't determine our whole phenotype.)
        Last edited by arcadesonfire; 09-20-2017, 09:55 AM.
        My band!:
        [URL="http://www.steelphantoms.com/"]www.steelphantoms.com/[/URL]
        my stage stuff:
        fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by LARRY L View Post
          My point was a women is not made like a man, there are undeniable differences. If the sexes are not well defined then would you marry a trans person if you were in a position to marry? Does Caitlyn Jenner ready to win the hearts of men now?

          Can't speak for Caitlyn Jenner. But the question for us to consider here is not what are the undeniable differences, but how should we as a society treat transgender individuals, correct?

          I asked you earlier (might have been this thread or one of the other ones--I can't recall now) and you either missed it or ignored it so I'll try again and maybe word it a bit differently:

          Let's go with your analysis, for the sake of argument. Let's assume that DNA tells us all we need to know about the nature of gender and that those with gender dysphobia are suffering from a mental condition. Fine. But the truth remains that many, if not most, transgender individuals recognize themselves as the 'other' sex at a VERY early age. There are cases of them identifying themselves as the "other" sex as early as 18 months. Many, many before they start kindergarten. Before one would normally think they even have any sort of real recognition of gender or maybe even know that people with different types of genitalia even exist.

          It is also pretty-well documented that trying to force these kids into being the "correct" sex doesn't help them. Their suicide rates are high. And there is little evidence, if any, that their parents and their schools forcing them to be the "correct" sex changes anything about how they feel about themselves. Conversely, there is evidence showing that allowing them to "transition" at an early age works much much better for their emotional and psychological well-being.

          So knowing all these things, explain to me what is gained by forcing a kid to be something that does not feel natural to them? How does this benefit them, their families, their schoolmates, or anyone else in our society? Why SHOULD we do this? What HARM is there in allowing them to live their lives as feels most right for them, regardless of the nature of their condition?
          Last edited by guido61; 09-20-2017, 09:49 AM.
          ______________

          Comment


          • #95
            If you're so inclined listen to Family Values Radio for their opinions about transgender folks. It's "supposed" to be a Christian based radio show.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by LARRY L View Post
              My point was a women is not made like a man, there are undeniable differences. If the sexes are not well defined then would you marry a trans person if you were in a position to marry? Does Caitlyn Jenner ready to win the hearts of men now?
              Why are you so, seemingly, distraught over trans people? In psychology they refer to this as unfounded concern/fear. Were you attacked by trans people? Did they make fun of you? Did they take your lunch money?
              Last edited by oldsoapbars; 09-20-2017, 10:26 AM.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by guido61 View Post


                Can't speak for Caitlyn Jenner. But the question for us to consider here is not what are the undeniable differences, but how should we as a society treat transgender individuals, correct?

                I asked you earlier (might have been this thread or one of the other ones--I can't recall now) and you either missed it or ignored it so I'll try again and maybe word it a bit differently:

                Let's go with your analysis, for the sake of argument. Let's assume that DNA tells us all we need to know about the nature of gender and that those with gender dysphobia are suffering from a mental condition. Fine. But the truth remains that many, if not most, transgender individuals recognize themselves as the 'other' sex at a VERY early age. There are cases of them identifying themselves as the "other" sex as early as 18 months. Many, many before they start kindergarten. Before one would normally think they even have any sort of real recognition of gender or maybe even know that people with different types of genitalia even exist.

                It is also pretty-well documented that trying to force these kids into being the "correct" sex doesn't help them. Their suicide rates are high. And there is little evidence, if any, that their parents and their schools forcing them to be the "correct" sex changes anything about how they feel about themselves. Conversely, there is evidence showing that allowing them to "transition" at an early age works much much better for their emotional and psychological well-being.

                So knowing all these things, explain to me what is gained by forcing a kid to be something that does not feel natural to them? How does this benefit them, their families, their schoolmates, or anyone else in our society? Why SHOULD we do this? What HARM is there in allowing them to live their lives as feels most right for them, regardless of the nature of their condition?
                I have heard that they still have the same suicide rate after they do a physical switch. So do you have a link showing the evidence that says it really works better for them?

                If you have wishy washy advice telling a person perhaps they are thinking right, not clear a clear definitive stand they are not right, the door will be open for them to figure they are OK. That may be the problem with the counseling we now have. To me it is a spiritual problem and they need God's
                power to heal their minds. I know that is a joke to many but I have seen the power of God work in correcting wrong thoughts and behaviors.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by oldsoapbars View Post

                  Why are you so, seemingly, distraught over trans people? In psychology they refer to this as unfounded concern/fear. Were you attacked by trans people? Did they make fun of you? Did they take your lunch money?

                  Somebody else brought up the subject. I have no fear at all. To confront a lie now is fear?

                  I would like to see them healed and made whole like my old roommate was by the power of Jesus Christ, he had an amazing deliverance from it, along with many others who turned to Christ.
                  Last edited by LARRY L; 09-20-2017, 05:29 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by LARRY L View Post
                    I have heard that they still have the same suicide rate after they do a physical switch. So do you have a link showing the evidence that says it really works better for them?
                    You're talking about gender reassignment surgery. That's not what I'm talking about here. People that choose to do the surgery do so as the last step in their transition and, as our society has treating them thus far, usually after years and decades of them being forced to live counter to how they identify. Not to speak for Caitlyn Jenner, but I would imagine not having had surgery until she was 65? That whatever demons haunted her prior to the surgery still exist after.

                    I'm not talking about gender reassignment surgery. I'm talking about how we should treat young kids who have been diagnosed with Gender Dysphoria. Since public policy is really mostly about how kids are treated in public schools---I'm not THAT concerned with our policy towards adults. And yes....there are studies showing that kids that are allowed to transition at a young age works better for them.

                    http://www.washington.edu/news/2016/...mental-health/

                    If you have wishy washy advice telling a person perhaps they are thinking right, not clear a clear definitive stand they are not right, the door will be open for them to figure they are OK. That may be the problem with the counseling we now have. To me it is a spiritual problem and they need God's power to heal their minds. I know that is a joke to many but I have seen the power of God work in correcting wrong thoughts and behaviors.
                    That's your choice how to deal with your own kids or people who come to your church seeking counseling. But I'm talking about a matter of public policy. And here's the bottom line on how you want to handle things plays out:

                    A set of parents are enrolling their child in the public school to start kindergarten. Principal says "ok, it' says here that Johnny is 5 years old. I'm sure he'll be very happy here."

                    Parents say, "well, actually, Johnny started telling us that he was a girl when he was about 2. After a year or so of trying to convince him he was a boy, and dressing him in boys clothes and putting up with his bad moods and acting out, we took him to a psychologist who diagnosed him with Gender Dysphoria. Since then, we have embraced the condition and our child is now Janie and lives as a girl. She is much happier, gets along with her brother and sister much better, and our home is the calm, happy place we have always hoped it would be. So we would like you to treat her as a girl in all respects so as to conform with her Gender Dysphoria.."

                    YOU would have the principal say "well, I'm sorry, but it says here that JOHNNY is a MALE. And I'm sure if I pull off that skirt I'll find a little penis, won't I? So no. The GOVERNMENT knows better than your child does, and CERTAINLY know better that his PARENTS do, just what exactly is best for HIM. You can dress HIM as a girl all you like, and treat HIM how ever you like and call HIM by whatever name you like at home, but for the next 13 years while HE attends this school district, the GOVERNMENT will be treating JOHNNY as a BOY."

                    Sorry, but i just don't see how works for the best for the child, for the parents, or for anyone else in the school district. And it certainly doesn't sound very small-government/conservative to me.

                    Does it sound that way to you?

                    You may think it is "wishy washy" to allow kids to live their lives as the gender with which they identify. But do you have a link showing any evidence that says your "tough love" strategy works better for them?
                    Last edited by guido61; 09-20-2017, 09:22 PM.
                    ______________

                    Comment


                    • arcadesonfire
                      arcadesonfire commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And if the 'tough love' strategy has been employed for generations and was the status quo up till at most ten years ago, then it would be the 'tough love' correlating with the high suicide/depression rate. The freedom to be TG that began to develop over the past decade would not undo depression that developed in a 3-year-old's brain 20 years ago.

                  • Originally posted by LARRY L View Post

                    I would like to see them healed and made whole like my old roommate was by the power of Jesus Christ, he had an amazing deliverance from it, along with many others who turned to Christ.
                    By exorcism?
                    Last edited by Fred Fartboski : Today at...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Crazyfoo View Post
                      If you really want to slash foods global warming enmissiins than switch to a plant based diet.

                      You'll also be healthier and live longer

                      https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nbcn...amp/ncna542886
                      Grass and meat are the same thing, with just a minor variant. I asked my "go to" guy at the grocery store. He had the greatest mixed metaphors on earth. Believe me.
                      ..................................................
                      Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.

                      ...Pericles

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by RobRoy View Post
                        I used to be in sales
                        Color me shocked. Apoplectic.
                        ..................................................
                        Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.

                        ...Pericles

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post
                          Not anal, IMHO. We breathe air, with a lot of other stuff with it- including oxygen. Our air is over 80% nitrogen, yet you didn't say we breathe nitrogen.
                          Rob, If you even got as far as an open water dive certification, then you know that your scuba tank is filled with air; not oxygen.
                          That's why/how people get bent (DCS; decompression sickness).
                          Their blood absorbs inert gas bubbles; primarily nitrogen from an uncontrolled or rapid ascent and/or deep dives or long dives at depth.
                          Pure nitrogen will kill you in short order. The phone co. uses it to dry out old cables, as it will displace the moisture in leaking cables or those that have been opened for maintenance. You may have seen the green gas bottles chained to a pole, doing its job. We used to get scare videos about techs who died because they didn't blow the nitrogen (or other gasses) out of a manhole before entering it. Most of the time, the atmosphere in a manhole or other enclosed space is safe. Just that one time it isn't will kill. It's like people who successfully drive at unsafe speeds and, because they had no accidents at those speeds, think they are superior drivers.
                          ..................................................
                          Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.

                          ...Pericles

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by thankyou View Post
                            Grass and meat are the same thing, with just a minor variant. I asked my "go to" guy at the grocery store. He had the greatest mixed metaphors on earth. Believe me.
                            Oxygen and plutonium are just protons, neutrons, and electrons. But people are shocked to find out how different they are!
                            My band!:
                            [URL="http://www.steelphantoms.com/"]www.steelphantoms.com/[/URL]
                            my stage stuff:
                            fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by LARRY L View Post

                              Somebody else brought up the subject. I have no fear at all. To confront a lie now is fear?

                              I would like to see them healed and made whole like my old roommate was by the power of Jesus Christ, he had an amazing deliverance from it, along with many others who turned to Christ.
                              This 'power' you claim; please demonstrate it for me so I know it's real; otherwise, I gotta call BS ('cause I know there is no such thing). Maybe turn my hair blue remotely or something. Anything really.
                              -------------------------------------------------------
                              The emperor marched in the procession under the beautiful canopy, and all who saw him in the street and out of the windows exclaimed: Indeed, the emperor's new suit is incomparable! What a long train he has! How well it fits him! Nobody wished to let others know he saw nothing, for then he would have been unfit for his office or too stupid. Never an emperor's clothes were more admired.

                              Comment













                              Working...
                              X