Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

If an advanced race from a galaxy far far away came to earth .........................

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobRoy View Post
    This is what I mean, and a good example. If you have ever gotten to know a fair amount of Christians, you'd realize that, though that is true in some cases, it is not true in others. It is a mistake to judge people in groups.

That being said, I've actually gone on record saying that a lot of people will believe anything as long as it comes from a pulpit. But that is not about Christianity. That is about people. The same kind of people believe in man made global warming because it was presented by someone with the right shingle on the wall. And both are examples of BLIND faith. That is always a mistake.

True. One should always seek validation for what is told them by seeking out sources that agree with their bias. And then they can convince themselves it is now factual rather than blind faith.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRoy View Post
      This is what I mean, and a good example. If you have ever gotten to know a fair amount of Christians, you'd realize that, though that is true in some cases, it is not true in others. It is a mistake to judge people in groups.

That being said, I've actually gone on record saying that a lot of people will believe anything as long as it comes from a pulpit. But that is not about Christianity. That is about people. The same kind of people believe in man made global warming because it was presented by someone with the right shingle on the wall. And both are examples of BLIND faith. That is always a mistake.
      Which you then immediately go on to do (people who 'believe' in man-made global warming).

Otherwise, you're right. People should think for themselves - however, your post, which contains a pretty standard anti-global warming propaganda viewpoint and condemns all people who accept the science showing that human activity is affecting climate change, doesn't show that you are thinking for yourself. Shouldn't you practice what you preach?

Last edited by Zig al-din; 09-12-2017, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moogerfooger View Post

I see absolutely no evidence that any God actually exists. In fact thousands of gods have come and gone. IMO Man creates gods in what ever image he wants to or needs to to control the masses.
      If Jesus is real let him reveal himself to me. I'll
      Wait right here.
      It's interesting that Christians think the same way I do about anyone else's god but theirs. So who is more cynical?
      Very true but then their religion doesn't allow them to think any other way. It's a priori confirmation bias. Like a prof of mine once said, show me a tolerant monotheistic religion and I'll show you a failed monotheistic religion.

You don't have that same limitations I guess, except you don't know or care how faith/religious experience works. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But your position is basically the same as saying there is no love because you personally haven't experienced it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zig al-din View Post

Very true but then their religion doesn't allow them to think any other way. It's a priori confirmation bias. Like a prof of mine once said, show me a tolerant monotheistic religion and I'll show you a failed monotheistic religion.

You don't have that same limitations I guess, except you don't know or care how faith/religious experience works. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But your position is basically the same as saying there is no love because you personally haven't experienced it.

I know this - when I was involved in Christianity it always felt dirty to me. Like i was participating in cult rituals, worries about Satan and demons tempting me. When I got involved in meditation and yoga I felt liberated and cleansed and In touch with a deeper reality.

Comment

I know this - when I was involved in Christianity it always felt dirty to me. Like i was participating in cult rituals, worries about Satan and demons tempting me. When I got involved in meditation and yoga I felt liberated and cleansed and In touch with a deeper reality.

Yep if you're doing those things the way they're meant to be done, you're definitely in touch with a deeper reality. (Or realities.)

Comment

That happened with me when I got involved with wine.

Roll Tide!!!!!

Comment

• Opposite Day
              Opposite Day commented
              Editing a comment
              Christianity has wine!

...just sayin'

• moogerfooger
              moogerfooger commented
              Editing a comment
              thats funny
          Working...