When Music Was Real

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

'Tis true... there is plenty of awesome music happening now - of all different kinds - made by actual young people, and that needs no autotune.

No vocals on this... just pure musical badassery:

• Members

Let's see if any of today's music will still be listened to in 50 years.

Beatles 1 is still a big seller

Sgt Pepper sold in big numbers for the 50th anniversary

the old geezers continue to tour and bring in huge box office even youngsters like U2 and Madonna

I have a feeling Taylor Swift may make the grade, I'll probably be dead by this time so I'll never know

• Members

The problem with music for a while now is that they just can't record it and let it be. No, the engineers and producers have to labor over it and "fix" things to the point where all the life has been bled out of it.

How many engineers out there nowadays could handle a direct to disc recording session? A situation where you have to get it right the first time, moving from song to song with nothing but the real time break in between the songs. No "mixing and fixing" afterwards. What it is is what it is.

I have a D to D album of Dave Grusin and Lee Ritenour recorded in the 70's. There is so much life in that recording that when listening to it it can be overwhelming. There is just too much engineering and producing in music today if you ask me. JMHO YMMV

• Members

My parents told me that stuff would never last the way THEIR music endured too.....

Funny you should say that.

A local radio station who had branded as 'classic rock' since they launched in the late '70s has now adopted 'iconic rock' as their genre, whil still playing the same 50 songs.

• Members
tried to quote powbob01 here, but the hc software kept deleting your original post:facepalm:

not feeling this guy at all - to me he's always sounded like he's stolen the best parts of his songs.

I actually greatly prefer this guy.

Yes, he sounds a lot like Waylon.

I'm OK with that as is Waylon's son.

• Members
The problem with music for a while now is that they just can't record it and let it be. No, the engineers and producers have to labor over it and "fix" things to the point where all the life has been bled out of it.

How many engineers out there nowadays could handle a direct to disc recording session? A situation where you have to get it right the first time, moving from song to song with nothing but the real time break in between the songs. No "mixing and fixing" afterwards. What it is is what it is.

I have a D to D album of Dave Grusin and Lee Ritenour recorded in the 70's. There is so much life in that recording that when listening to it it can be overwhelming. There is just too much engineering and producing in music today if you ask me. JMHO YMMV

I feel the same way. Music is like food, who likes overprocessed leftovers? Fresh, organic, home grown, is always better.

Music is on it's death bed. What we're seeing now is people trying to revive road kill.

I respectfully disagree. Music is as close to a universal language as you'll find anywhere, and something that has broad and very deep appeal - it's built into humanity on a fundamental level.

It's about personality now, talent no longer matters.

Don't make the mistake of confusing and equating music with the music or entertainment industries. ;)

• Members

I respectfully disagree. Music is as close to a universal language as you'll find anywhere, and something that has broad and very deep appeal - it's built into humanity on a fundamental level.

Don't make the mistake of confusing and equating music with the music or entertainment industries. ;)

I am talking about both the music industry and the entertainment industry. While the love of music will never go away, the search for finding quality music is relegated to mostly hard core music fans. The general public no longer cares. The sizzle is way more important than the steak for the bulk of listeners

Like with TV and film, the technology just keeps marching on, providing people with the tools to be able to do all kinds of things.

Point #1: Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to do it - or that you should do it in all cases.

Once people started realizing what could be done, then some of them started asking for it to be done, and others started expecting it to be done.

Point #2: It's just as likely the request for something to be autotuned, locked to a grid and / or polished past the point of no return came from the label or the musicians as it is that it sprang solely from the mind of the engineer or producer.

If you give a producer great musicians who are delivering killer performances on a fantastic song, the last thing most of us want to do is step on it.

Point #3: Just because we can autotune things, lock them to the grid and Beat Detective them, and all the rest, doesn't mean we enjoy doing it. Frankly, it's tedious, and it's more likely to be utilized on things of lesser quality or on poor performances to try to make something vaguely resembling something listenable out of it.

I think probably more than you think - at least some of the older guys / gals can pull it off. I don't think Anton would have a problem with it, and I know I can do it. If you can mix a live show, and you also know studio recording and how to mic and mix, and you have charts and get to attend the rehearsals, you can do it a lot easier than you might think.

I think it really depends on what you're listening to. If you're sticking with pop music, sure - it's pretty bleak. But there are a lot of musicians out there today, and the home recording and Internet revolutions have democratized the process of recording and getting your music out there, and streaming services have made it easier for fans to explore a wider variety of new things without going broke than ever before. No one has to stick with just what the major labels and AM/FM radio want to spoon-feed to you anymore, and there are a lot of high-quality alternatives - if you're willing to dig through the dreck to find them.

• Members

I am talking about both the music industry and the entertainment industry. While the love of music will never go away, the search for finding quality music is relegated to mostly hard core music fans. The general public no longer cares. The sizzle is way more important than the steak for the bulk of listeners

I don't think the general public ever DID care. When music was at its peak of popularity from the 1960-90s, the general public liked most of it for reasons other than the quality of the music. It was their social media that connected them with each other, it was what dictated their sense of fashion, and other such things that really had very little to do with the music itself. That any of the music that provided this for them happened to have any degree of "quality" was usually just coincidental.

Now those social aspects have been replaced by other activities besides listening to music either recorded or in a live venue.

• Members

Thanks to all for the contributions and the conversation. Definitely some good stuff in here!

It would have been nice had someone said 'Damn! That thing in the OP with Bonnie and Lowell was the most awesomest thing I ever heared, there is a more important matter which some of you have already chimed-in on. That is the line between artists, producers and consumers. Read on and we can see why directors and engineers are also on the list of problems/troublemakers.

I never thought at the time that the song that launched MTV was prophetic but in hindsight and with the advantage of wide-angle mirrors I see it differently now. For some time now it has been very much a matter of how you LOOK, to the point that even if you're somewhat less than repulsive and have a strong number, actual prowess is secondary to what you look like WHILE DOING IT and this has become something that trumps real talent. Overproduction of audio was a natural follow-up.

From this the matter worsens to point that Big Mama Thorton --were she to arrive on the scene today-- would never have been heard.

There is far more on this about which I could pontificate but I'm still having browser issues on this box which are sufficiently aggravating that I'll have to resume this tack at a later moment.

• Members

From this the matter worsens to point that Big Mama Thorton --were she to arrive on the scene today-- would never have been heard.

She was barely heard back in the day. If it weren't for the really-good-looking-while-doing-it and questionably talented Elvis Presley singing "Hound Dog", no one may know of her today at all.

Archived