Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Holiday Rant

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Belch View Post

    I disagree with the basic premise that charity helps. Perhaps a few people, but you hurt far more than you help.

    e.g. This is a pic I took at a bus stop on the road from phnom penh to ankor wat that was necessitated because so many people love to help, but they're far too ignorant of what's actually happening to do anything but hurt.


    Do you understand what's going on there? Little kids who desperately need an education to get ahead are being hurt by charity.

    Now if you really cared about helping people, you'd spend a bit more time figuring out exactly what kind of help they need. Like, for example, a job? Oh wait, you don't want to hire them because most aren't even worth the minimum wage. No job means no getting enough experience to make more than the minimum wage. And of course the constant demonization of employers that take advantage of the poor. Can't have that, can we?

    I disagree with charity because you hurt far more than you help.
    Your pic of a piece of paper proves nothing. If you think charity hurts more than it helps, prove it or it's just a rant from someone ignorant about poverty. Even if your ONE example exists, it's only a tiny fraction of 1% of the world's disadvantaged.
    Have you ever actually worked with the homeless? I have. The vast majority would love to have even a minimum wage job. Here in the States, that means having a place to live, references, ID, all the things that disappear when someone has nothing.
    Do you understand what's going on there? Little kids who desperately need an education to get ahead are being hurt by charity.
    I don't know about where you live, but here, that's bullbleep. Unless you can show charity keeps people from getting educated, well, another ignorant rant.
    Last edited by Belva; 11-11-2015, 02:50 PM.

    Comment


    • #32
      Sorry for the size. I tried to crop it, and ended up with something hard to read. But basically, it's telling tourists not to give money to children begging because their parents send them to the bus stop because they get more money by begging than going to school.

      If you're looking for proof that charity doesn't help, all you have to do is look at sub-saharan africa and all the money thrown at it. The only way that can be seen as a success story is if you wanted to keep them in the stone age.

      But hey, go on and keep destroying lives with charity. I know it makes you feel good.
      .

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Belch View Post
        Sorry for the size. I tried to crop it, and ended up with something hard to read. But basically, it's telling tourists not to give money to children begging because their parents send them to the bus stop because they get more money by begging than going to school.

        If you're looking for proof that charity doesn't help, all you have to do is look at sub-saharan africa and all the money thrown at it. The only way that can be seen as a success story is if you wanted to keep them in the stone age.

        But hey, go on and keep destroying lives with charity. I know it makes you feel good.
        Do you really know what's going on in Africa? Are you aware of orgs building schools and teaching people? Sorry, once again, your ignorance is showing. Your example does NOT the whole world make. As stated it's a fraction of 1%
        Do you know what's going on here in the States? Did you even read my OP? Obviously not. Poverty even happens to people who once were solid middle class. You have no clue what poverty is or who is affected.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Belva View Post

          Do you really know what's going on in Africa? Are you aware of orgs building schools and teaching people? Sorry, once again, your ignorance is showing. Your example does NOT the whole world make. As stated it's a fraction of 1%
          Do you know what's going on here in the States? Did you even read my OP? Obviously not. Poverty even happens to people who once were solid middle class. You have no clue what poverty is or who is affected.
          And just such a wonderful difference all of that charity has made! Why, just the other day I watched a bus load of rich African tourists head into the fanciest and most expensive store in the city.

          Truly, things are looking good for Africa these days. Skyscrapers so tall they are playing footsie with Jesus. Multinational African conglomerates moving into every nook and cranny of the world of high finance, and even the Zimbabwean dollar is looking to overtake the American dollar as the global standard.



          .

          Comment


          • #35
            Maybe we're just talking over each others heads. You say that charity helps, and I say it hurts. Yet you keep talking as if the longer the soup kitchen line, the more you're helping.

            I just don't see it that way. I see long soup kitchen lines as a failure of charity.
            .

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Belch View Post
              Maybe we're just talking over each others heads. You say that charity helps, and I say it hurts. Yet you keep talking as if the longer the soup kitchen line, the more you're helping.

              I just don't see it that way. I see long soup kitchen lines as a failure of charity.
              charity has been used for cranial retainment and wealth building since the French Revolution and the bonus is that it is a

              wedge issue/divide and conquer device for society in general and Belva and Belch in particular !! )

              Party on Garth !! )



              letemeatcake !! )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

              __________-------------------------------------__________________________---------------
              "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." ---Albert Einstein

              What is more liberal than this ?? )
              We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union ...

              Comment


              • #37
                Just saw a blurb on the local news.
                In WA state, 11,000 teenagers qualify and are on a waiting list for inpatient chemical dependency treatment. For these kids there are 188 beds available. They'll be on the streets a long time before a bed is available. Many will be dead before their number comes up. That's just teenagers and just drugs. My own experience showed me that most adult homeless are suffering from this and/or alcohol dependency. What are their options? About the same as the teens. How many will recover? Without treatment, zero, zip, nada. Are we supposed to just ignore these people and hope they go away? We supposed to let them die? Some posters here say charity hurts rather than helps. Their blood is on your hands.



                A feeking sign at a train station means charity hurts.......
                Yeah right. And my butt is 24K gold.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Then you have 186 chances to reduce that number of 11,000 druggie teens to 10,999 druggie teens.

                  Good luck!
                  Last edited by Belch; 11-12-2015, 09:28 PM.
                  .

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Belch View Post
                    Then you have 186 chances to reduce that number of 11,000 druggie teens to 10,999 druggie teens.

                    Good luck!
                    You're obviously blind. Care to consider that while the number of beds is static, the number of people needing them is on the rise? Or is that something you're unwilling to comprehend?
                    I've SEEN people eat because I cooked the meal at the Mission. I've physically seen people have a warm place to sleep when it's below zero outside. I've SEEN charity do good. I've also seen many who just can't get sober enough to get a bed at these places. Their beds are scarce too. Drunks cause problems. Figure that part out for yourself.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Belva View Post

                      You're obviously blind. Care to consider that while the number of beds is static, the number of people needing them is on the rise? Or is that something you're unwilling to comprehend?
                      I've SEEN people eat because I cooked the meal at the Mission. I've physically seen people have a warm place to sleep when it's below zero outside. I've SEEN charity do good. I've also seen many who just can't get sober enough to get a bed at these places. Their beds are scarce too. Drunks cause problems. Figure that part out for yourself.
                      and all I'm asking is for 1 lower than now. That's how I view a successful social welfare program. You actually lower the number of people needing that resource, rather than looking at how many more need it, then crowing about how you're doing such a good job because the number of people that need help rises with every spoonful of food you serve.
                      .

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X