Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

House GOP to vote on debt limit. Kudos, maybe.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House GOP to vote on debt limit. Kudos, maybe.

The House Republicans have announced that they will vote whether to vote for an increase in the national debt, providing Senate Democrats come up with a budget by mid April.  Kudos to them, if they are serious, though they are more likely looking at the writing on the wall.  Voters will blame them if they cause an economic disaster by their antics.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/house-republicans-to-vote-on-bill-to-raise-debt-limit-for-3-months/2013/01/18/01347aa2-6190-11e2-b05a-605528f6b712_story.html

One generation plants the trees,
    The other feels the shade.

...Otis Gibbs

Hopefully they'll vote no.

Comment

• fretmess
      fretmess commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
      Hopefully they'll vote no.

Your version of 'hope and change'?

Fret: Spending within our means would certainly be a change.

Comment

• guido61
      guido61 commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

My wife ran up her credit card.   F*ck it.  I'm not going to pay the bill.  THAT'LL teach her a lesson, doncha think?

• splatbass
      splatbass commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

The debt limit is for money already owed, not new spending. Not increasing it would be like not paying your credit card bill. Government would shut down due to lack of funds for current operations, then hundreds of thousands (actually probablt millions) of people would suddenly be out of work. This would tank the economy again.

Why do you want our country to be deadbeats that doesn't pay our bills? Why do you want millions to lose their paychecks so the GOP can score some political points?

• Zooey
      Zooey commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

Then why don't they go back and revise the legislation where they committed to spend the money in the first place instead.

Buckethead: It's the right thing to do regardless. Would they do it if Romney had won? I couldn't say, but both parties are routinely more interested in their own success than anything else.

Comment

• buckethead99
      buckethead99 commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
      Buckethead: It's the right thing to do regardless. Would they do it if Romney had won? I couldn't say, but both parties are routinely more interested in their own success than anything else.

Well the political reality is that the Republicans will agree to raise the debt ceiling I do think.

Have a good one GTG.

Politics is most important.

Comment

• willhaven
      willhaven commented
      Editing a comment

It doesn't surprise me that a fuckin' dope with the Gadsden flag as his avatar doesn't understand the debt ceiling.

Guido: is it your plan to pay the credit card bill by borrowing even more and going further in debt?

Comment

• guido61
      guido61 commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
      Guido: is it your plan to pay the credit card bill by borrowing even more and going further in debt?

On the day the credit card bill is due, and if there is not enough money in the bank account to make the payment, then that is the only fiscally responsible option, isn't it?

Yes, the over-spending has to stop.  Whether that is done by charging less on the card in the future, or by bringing in more income, or a combination of both.   But that's a separate issue from whether or not I pay the bill that is due TODAY.

Would I rather NOT borrow money in order to pay the credit card?  Of course.  But defaulting on it and ruining the good credit I have, decreasing my ability to borrow in the future, and raising interest rates on money I owe elsewhere....there isn't a financial advisor in the world who would recommend this plan, is there?

If there's a "spending problem", then you deal with it at the point the SPENDING is done.  Not at the point the bill becomes due.  These guys need to decrease SPENDING.  Problem is, like Tom Hicks pointed out with the pie-chart above, is that while these guys are great when it comes to RHETORIC about the need to decrease spending, none of them seem to keen on actually DOING it.   Because while they might **bleep** about how much the wife is charging on the credit card, the fact is what's she doing with the card is keeping the lights on in the house, paying the mortgage and buying a bunch of stuff that THEY like.

Guido: no...you don't refuse to pay the bill. You reduce spending in other areas, set aside money that you actually have rather than borrowing, and live within your means.

Or you do what the government does and wind up with a debt you can never repay.

Comment

Guido: now I know why we're in the mess we're in. Thanks.

Comment

• guido61
        guido61 commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Guido: now I know why we're in the mess we're in. Thanks.

Try defaulting on your bills and see how much your financial situation improves.

Guido: personally, I'd rather stop the endless spiral of borrowing even if that means taking a hit to my credit rating in the short term.

Long term, you'll be much better off. So too will the nation.

Comment

• Tom Hicks
        Tom Hicks commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Guido: personally, I'd rather stop the endless spiral of borrowing even if that means taking a hit to my credit rating in the short term.

Long term, you'll be much better off. So too will the nation.

we as a nation took the credit rating hit the last time the GOP decided to play games with the debt ceiling. explain to me how it was worth it.

The debt ceiling allows for greater debt, hence the name, of which the government takes full advantage.

Comment

• willhaven
        willhaven commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        The debt ceiling allows for greater debt, hence the name, of which the government takes full advantage.

willhaven wrote:

It doesn't surprise me that a fuckin' dope with the Gadsden flag as his avatar doesn't understand the debt ceiling.

• splatbass
        splatbass commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

More debt TO PAY FOR MONEY ALREADY ALLOCATED FOR CURRENT OPERATING EXPENSES. It is NOT to payfor future spending, it is to pay for current spending already budgeted for.

Since you claim to be a business man you should understand this. If we reach the debt ceiling the government SHUTS DOWN. That clearly proves it is needed for current, already budgeted spending, not for future spending.

Tom: You're right. They played instead of agreeing to live within our means. And now we're several more trillion in debt.

Comment

• Tom Hicks
        Tom Hicks commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Tom: You're right. They played instead of agreeing to live within our means. And now we're several more trillion in debt.

i applaud your recognition that GOP political machinations cost the national credit rating without the reduction in spending you seek.

now, how to stop that from recurring, while at the same time reducing the funds going to the wife's sister? in considering your reply, bear in mind that funding bills originate in the GOP controlled house.

• Tom Hicks
        Tom Hicks commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

the GOP controls the house and spending bills originate in the house. the GOP played politics with the debt ceiling last go-round, and it cost the country a downgrading of the credit rating, without cutting the spending you say you want. during the campaign, romney wanted to increase spending on the military, which already gets the lion's share on spending. i heard no objections from the GOP supporters on this forum to that spending increase proposal.

sensing a pattern yet?

Defense spending to spike $2.1 trillion under Romney

By Charles Riley May 10, 2012: 9:52 AM ET

The former Massachusetts governor wants to increase defense spending by leaps and bounds. By one estimate, additional spending would exceed $2 trillion over the next decade.

Romney's plan calls for linking the Pentagon's base budget to Gross Domestic Product, and allowing the military to spend at least $4 dollars out of every $100 the American economy produces.

With the Pentagon's base budget -- which does not include war costs -- forecast to hit 3.5% of GDP in 2013, a jump to 4% would mean an increase of around $100 billion dollars in defense spending in 2013.

The additional spending really piles up in future years.

Compared to the Pentagon's current budget, Romney's plan would lead to $2.1 trillion in additional spending over the next ten years, according to an analysis conducted for CNNMoney by Travis Sharp, a budget expert at the Center for a New American Security.

And that number assumes a gradual increase to 4% of GDP. The additional spending would hit $2.3 trillion over a decade if the Pentagon's budget were to immediately jump to 4% of GDP.

And who is getting rich off of our debt?

The god-**bleep** bankers, both in this country and abroad.

Comment

Splat: It results in an increased debt. Dance around it all you like.

Comment

• willhaven
          willhaven commented
          Editing a comment
          No wonder why the wife ran away.

• splatbass
          splatbass commented
          Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

To pay for spending already allocated THAT WE ARE REQUIRED TO PAY. Why do you want us to be deadbeats that don't pay our bills? Maybe that is the Republican way, but it isn't the right way.

• note4note
          note4note commented
          Editing a comment

I was responding to this, splat:

mauser wrote:

Funny, my debt doesn't increase until I actually borrow, not when I increase my credit limit.  Must be different for the Federal Govt.

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever is either a madman or an economist." Kenneth Boulding

Comment

• splatbass
          splatbass commented
          Editing a comment

note4note wrote:

Funny, my debt doesn't increase until I actually borrow, not when I increase my credit limit.  Must be different for the Federal Govt.

They already spent the money, now they need to increase their debt to pay for it. If Mauser had argued that they shouldn't have spent so much he would have a point. But he is arguing that we shouldn't get debt to pay our bills that we have already spent. That would make us deadbeats.

Splat: And we both know that after paying our current bills Congress will turn right around and spend even more money that we on't have until we hit the new debt limit. And we do it all over again.

The only way to stop the cycle is to simply not give them the ability to overspend, which is what raising the debt ceiling does.

Comment

• splatbass
          splatbass commented
          Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
          Splat: And we both know that after paying our current bills Congress will turn right around and spend even more money that we on't have until we hit the new debt limit. And we do it all over again.

The only way to stop the cycle is to simply not give them the ability to overspend, which is what raising the debt ceiling does.

So you want us to default on our bills? Is that the way you run your household?

Working...
      X