Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT:- Could do with some straight up critiques of this mix

We're still allowed to display our musical genius here, right?!

https://soundcloud.com/gubu/revelation-in-a

That's missouri_picker on acoustic guitar. All else is teh gubu. Yes, the vocal needs to be re-done

Mixwise/arrangement, I'd appreciate any thoughts..

flip the phase

I thought the song sounded pretty good.  Well mixed.  You could tell that the acoustic has a ribbon piezzo under the bridge from the sustain.  With that observation, you might want to increase the decay on the acoustic so that it sounds less like an electric through an acoustic pedal.

Comment

• gubu
      gubu commented
      Editing a comment

normh wrote:

I thought the song sounded pretty good.  Well mixed.  You could tell that the acoustic has a ribbon piezzo under the bridge from the sustain.  With that observation, you might want to increase the decay on the acoustic so that it sounds less like an electric through an acoustic pedal.

Thanks norm,

I hear what you're saying. There's quite a high HPF on it too, so I'll have to have another listen/tweak.

gubu wrote:

We're still allowed to display our musical genius here, right?!

https://soundcloud.com/gubu/revelation-in-a

That's missouri_picker on acoustic guitar. All else is teh gubu. Yes, the vocal needs to be re-done

Mixwise/arrangement, I'd appreciate any thoughts..

That was quite purdy! Nice playing!

I would bring the drums up a bit and little more towards center. Mabye leave 'em like they are for the first 8 or 16 bars and then do that. That seems to be a common device with a lot of songs like these to create kind of on increase in energy.

Every single note in the solo was tasty and melodic. I would have put twenty or thirty superfuous notes between each of those, but that's just personal preference. It sat pretty nicely in the mix too.

The vocals seemed a bit stark. The singing is about ten thousand times better than I could ever do, but may not be perfect pitch enough to go out without any makeup.

In terms of poetic content, the song seems to end rather abruptly on a bit of a bitter note, but I assume that's on purpose.

Anyway, nice job!

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

• gubu
      gubu commented
      Editing a comment

Opposite Day wrote:

That was quite purdy! Nice playing!

I would bring the drums up a bit and little more towards center. Mabye leave 'em like they are for the first 8 or 16 bars and then do that. That seems to be a common device with a lot of songs like these to create kind of on increase in energy.

Every single note in the solo was tasty and melodic. I would have put twenty or thirty superfuous notes between each of those, but that's just personal preference. It sat pretty nicely in the mix too.

The vocals seemed a bit stark. The singing is about ten thousand times better than I could ever do, but may not be perfect pitch enough to go out without any makeup.

In terms of poetic content, the song seems to end rather abruptly on a bit of a bitter note, but I assume that's on purpose.

Anyway, nice job!

Thanks for the compliments O_D,

The acoustic playing is from our very own missouri_picker, and it's probably the best thing on the track imo. He's got some neat counter-playing going on, and never overdoes it.

Yes, I need to re-record the vocals - woeful pitch. Missouri_picker sent some backing vocals along with the acoustic guitar track (what a guy!). Maybe using those would also help. Will just have to try it and see.

On the ending - isn't that how all 12 bar blues are supposed to end, with a dismissive goodbye?!!!

I have a 'B' part that another friend contributed - parts recorded and all - but can't figure out lyrics for it, or indeed whether its a coda or middle-8. It's definitely gonna be used, so it'll hopefully give the song the 'lude that it needs.

The really small drum sound is an experiment - and it actually has the perceived increase in energy that you're talking about, at the same bar in verses 1 and 2, but it's too quiet to notice, haha.

I like the 'smallness' of those drums, but they probably need some more figuring out.

So, loads to do!

Working...
X