Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is dressing formally in casual settings Right-wing?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is dressing formally in casual settings Right-wing?

It certainly is not the case for much of the conservatives in America, where "right-wingness" is associated with rural decadence and backwardness of the Deep South, but my experience is that conservative students here in Britain are dressed formally, meaning with a suit, a buttoned shirt, and even a tie in some instances, in casual setting. This seems to apply for other Europeans as well.

There are no dress codes in universities, but it seems like people here who hold "Tory" opinions dress really slick on a daily basis. 

It is a stark contrast to the fashion of the left, where I remember being appalled when I went to a talk hosted by the Sheffield Labour Students society...

Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky

Whenever you hear anything said very confidently, the first thing that should come to mind is, wait a minute is that true?

radomu wrote:

It certainly is not the case for much of the conservatives in America, where "right-wingness" is associated with rural decadence and backwardness of the Deep South, but my experience is that conservative students here in Britain are dressed formally, meaning with a suit, a buttoned shirt, and even a tie in some instances, in casual setting. This seems to apply for other Europeans as well.

There are no dress codes in universities, but it seems like people here who hold "Tory" opinions dress really slick on a daily basis. 

It is a stark contrast to the fashion of the left, where I remember being appalled when I went to a talk hosted by the Sheffield Labour Students society...

not at all!!! you should dress formally at all times! 

isn't that how you yumps dress? powdered wigs and furry clothes? 

wear fox hound riding stuff, or them great london fog rain coats!

sherlock holmes hats and a brolly!

Comment

radomu wrote:

It makes sense, those for strengthening the status quo wear outfits that represent a strong status quo. Those for developing new systems wear novel outfits. 

I don't see it as a reason to see one side as better than the other, just different sides of the coin. I'm a centrist, I wear collared shirts and khakis to family and business events, band shirts and jeans to concerts, and whichever of the two I'm in the mood for any other time. It confuses my friends. I also have a haircut specifically designed to be rough and spiky for concerts and brushable into a nice tight shape for business settings. No tattoos, I've wanted one my whole life and it'll never happen

You're not too far off, really. But obviously most people are exceptions to this generalization, especially in the states

My electronic music project, KHALIL, just released its first EP, "tell Us What Happened" on Thumbs Up Records in Florida. If you are into chill, experimental beat music with keyboards, saxophone and sample manipulation, check it out:http://khalilduo.bandcamp.com/Piano Interperetation of Fleedwood Mac's "Landslide" --https://soundcloud.com/ryan7585/landslide

Comment

• Hoddy
        Hoddy commented
        Editing a comment

My typical attire is camo pants and a wife beater t- shirt with a confederate flag on it!

Every girl's crazy for a sharp-dressed man.

Comment

• radomu
        radomu commented
        Editing a comment

infragreen wrote:
        Every girl's crazy for a sharp-dressed man.

**bleep** texans...

"Right-wingness" being associated with 'trailer types' is a liberal construct on this forum. The average right winger in this country would more likely fit into a country club. In fact, the majority of the top percentage of wealthy people in this country would define themselves as conservative. 

This would be even more true in England.

btw, the 'trailer types' tend to be more liberal as they need the gov't handouts.

I'm serious Daryl - my finger is hovering a millimeter over the ban button...

Comment

Working...
      X