Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun nuts- two questions

1. A recent Gallup poll shows 58% favor increased gun control (vs 34% favoring the status quo and 6% of fucking idiots favoring no gun control). So- since you're all good little patriots who understand that this nation was formed on the tenets of [hybidized] Democracy, you'll accede to the wishes of the majority. Right?

Alternatively:

2. If the upward trend continues (ie- if the pattern of massacres and mass murders perpetrated by idiots with guns continues), we could conceivably enter the realm of sufficient support for a new Constitutional Amendment, significantly tightening or even repealing the 2nd. If that happens, then since your precious (though widely misundertood and misinterpreted) Constitution could well require you to give up some or all of your precious murder machines... errrrr... sporting weapons, at this point, you'll cheerfully deliver them into the hands of the local constabulary for immediate destruction. Right?

I mean, after all- The CONSTITUTION!!!!

:manlol:

Mister Bigsby wrote:

1. A recent Gallup poll shows 58% favor increased gun control (vs 34% favoring the status quo and 6% of fucking idiots favoring no gun control). So- since you're all good little patriots who understand that this nation was formed on the tenets of [hybidized] Democracy, you'll accede to the wishes of the majority. Right?

Details matter.  Integrating mental health records into the NICS?  I'm in favor.

2. If the upward trend continues (ie- if the pattern of massacres and mass murders perpetrated by idiots with guns continues), we could conceivably enter the realm of sufficient support for a new Constitutional Amendment, significantly tightening or even repealing the 2nd. If that happens, then since your precious (though widely misundertood and misinterpreted) Constitution could well require you to give up some or all of your precious murder machines... errrrr... sporting weapons, at this point, you'll cheerfully deliver them into the hands of the local constabulary for immediate destruction. Right?

Would you accept a repeal of the First Amendment?  Or would you have enough balls to say: "That's where I draw the line and have to fight for liberty, even if it costs me everything?"  Some people put that weight on the 2nd, the 4th, the 5th. 

Now, if more than half the population says we want to disolve our society and start again, I couldn't very well argue that self-determination isn't also a profound right.  I might choose to go participate in another society, if that ever became the case.

Meanwhile, remember that inalienable rights can't be taken away by political process.  To quote John Adams:

"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would. Nor is there anything in the common law of England ... inconsistent with that right."

Current global warming temperature trend: 0.05ºC per decade, plus or minus 0.1ºC (source: UN IPCC AR5) ...Yes, the error rate is higher than the estimated rate of change.

"Anthropogenic global warming is a proposed theory whose basic mechanism is well understood, but whose magnitude is highly uncertain. The growing evidence that climate models are too sensitive to CO2 has implications for the attribution of late-20th-century warming and projections of 21st-century climate. If the recent warming hiatus is caused by natural variability, then this raises the question as to what extent the warming between 1975 and 2000 can also be explained by natural climate variability." --Dr. Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology

Comment

• Potts
      Potts commented
      Editing a comment

rbstern wrote:

Mister Bigsby wrote:

Details matter.  Integrating mental health records into the NICS?  I'm in favor.

Would you accept a repeal of the First Amendment?  Or would you have enough balls to say: "That's where I draw the line and have to fight for liberty, even if it costs me everything?"   

Yeah because that worked out so well at Waco and Ruby Ridge.

• Mister Bigsby
      Mister Bigsby commented
      Editing a comment

rbstern wrote:

Would you accept a repeal of the First Amendment?  Or would you have enough balls to say: "That's where I draw the line and have to fight for liberty, even if it costs me everything?"  Some people put that weight on the 2nd, the 4th, the 5th. 

Now, if more than half the population says we want to disolve our society and start again, I couldn't very well argue that self-determination isn't also a profound right.  I might choose to go participate in another society, if that ever became the case.

Meanwhile, remember that inalienable rights can't be taken away by political process.  To quote John Adams:

"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would. Nor is there anything in the common law of England ... inconsistent with that right."

1. Well, the First Amendment question is a great way to frame the [potential] vulnerability of the Second Amendment. I can't foresee any way in which the First Amendment would be at risk of repeal or revision. American society would have to change radically and in ways that it's pretty much impossible to imagine.

The Second Amendment, on the other hand, not so much. When a majority of Americans are concerned about guns to the extent that they favor stronger controls, then it's not so far fetched to imagine a constitutional amendment.

2. And if it happened... then gun nuts have 3 choices: a) comply; 2) immigrate; III) take up arms against the Constitution. Well, there fourth choice would be to keep their guns and lay low, but since they're all patriots and shit, they certainly wouldn't disobey the law while cowering like little bitches...

3. Inalienable rights? Bull****************. Every right we have can be taken away by the political process. The Founding Fathers may be forgiven for engaging in a bit of medieval hyperbole with their "granted by the Creator" rhetoric, but the reality is that unless there's a real-life forceful defense to be brought to bear by that "creator", we're all fucked if the political process gets out of control...

:smileylol:

Oh wait. I get it. The armed citizenry bearing arms IS that real-life forceful defense. Hmmm...unless we get the right to bear ALL the arms the Military bears, I don't think we have much of a chance...

Mister Bigsby wrote:

Alternatively:

1. Democracy is all about freedom FROM the "Tyranny of the Majority". Read some John Stuart Mill.

2. There is no upward trend, quite the opposite. The level of gun related violence has been dropping for almost 20 years.

You're totally prejudiced against my viewpoint, a liar with statistics, and what you say is stupid. Not much more to cover, is there?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! ! ! Keep smilin'.

Comment

• rbstern
      rbstern commented
      Editing a comment

dblazer wrote:

1. Democracy is all about freedom FROM the "Tyranny of the Majority". Read some John Stuart Mill.

2. There is no upward trend, quite the opposite. The level of gun related violence has been dropping for almost 20 years.

You're totally prejudiced against my viewpoint, a liar with statistics, and what you say is stupid. Not much more to cover, is there?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! ! ! Keep smilin'.

Dammit.  You always get right to the point.

• yanktar
      yanktar commented
      Editing a comment
      Jefferson's and Madison's idea was that slave insurrections needed to be able to be put down and they feared that the Militia clause of Article 1 of the Constitution could be used to prevent it. Their militias were armed White men who could and would suppress ANY attempt by slaves (or abolitionists) to gain their freedom. To the authors of the 2nd, "Tyranny" meant the "tyranny" of the Federal Government to deprive them of their wealth derived from the value of the slaves and the value of the work they did for which they were NOT paid a market-value wage!
      (Remember: Slavery only exists and is necessary in a labor-poor world. When labor is plentiful, the "price" of labor, ie, wages, falls. When labor is scarce it is necessary to pay more for it, or, as has been practiced for thousands of years, FORCE people to work!)

Mister Bigsby wrote:

1. A recent Gallup poll shows 58\% favor increased gun control (vs 34\% favoring the status quo and 6\% of fucking idiots favoring no gun control). So- since you're all good little patriots who understand that this nation was formed on the tenets of [hybidized] Democracy, you'll accede to the wishes of the majority. Right?

f

Attached Files

Comment

1) My rights are in no way dependent upon any majority. Nor are they dependent upon any government. My rights come from my Creator. Government is instituted by men to protect those rights.....not tell us what they are.

2) Repealing an amendment doesn't remove a right. It removes the protection by the government for that right. God help us all should the 2nd Amendment ever be repealed.

Comment

• fretmess
        fretmess commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        1) My rights are in no way dependent upon any majority. Nor are they dependent upon any government. My rights come from my Creator. Government is instituted by men to protect those rights.....not tell us what they are.

2) Repealing an amendment doesn't remove a right. It removes the protection by the government for that right. God help us all should the 2nd Amendment ever be repealed.

Try using the Creator as a force multiplier.

• Just Me
        Just Me commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

drama queen

:manembarrassed:

• Fred Fartboski
        Fred Fartboski commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        1)   My rights come from my Creator. 

The Wizard of Oz?

Just me: No drama....just an honest answer to a question.

Comment

Fred: How did Obama put it....."freedom is a gift from God".

While I'm not sure he actually believes that, most Americans do.

Comment

Working...
        X