Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UN launches investigation of drone strikes

United Nations expert has launched an investigation of drone attacks and targeted killings, scrutinizing a deeply controversial tool in the United States

They will find that drones are far, far more sanitary a means of war than anything we've had in the past. If you are going to be at war then surgical strikes are as humanitarian as it possibly can be.

Question:

If al Qaeda, the Taliban, or any other similar group had drones what do you think they would do with them?

Comment

• Zig al-din
      Zig al-din commented
      Editing a comment

Minning Around wrote:

They will find that drones are far, far more sanitary a means of war than anything we've had in the past. If you are going to be at war then surgical strikes are as humanitarian as it possibly can be.

Question:

If al Qaeda, the Taliban, or any other similar group had drones what do you think they would do with them?

Well, as is stated in the article, if the US is able to act with impunity in this area and in violation of international law, why shouldn't other countries, or even al-Qaeda?

As far as the argument that these strikes are more humanitarian than out  and out war, how would you feel if your brother or cousin or wife was taken out in one? Especially when your country was not at war with the US. Is that really humanitarian? 

Furthermore, the Obama Administration has also already used these strikes against US citizens. How do you feel about that? There is no due process or judicial review. Are you really ok with that as a precedent? I'm not.

Apart from the fact that these strikes seem likely to increase terrorist recruitment, there is the problem of a lack of transparency around the decision making process on the part of the executive branch - I don't feel comfortable dismissing the severely problematic nature of this issue by saying "well, real war is worse." It might be - but what's going on here is not consistent with any democratic values that I'm aware of.

I think Obama's getting a pass on this because he's a Democrat...

• dblazer
      dblazer commented
      Editing a comment
      They'll find that it's murder, and censure the U.S. if they've got any integrity at all.

It's teh MOOChie wants to cHOPCHOP on the last train to CLaysville in Golf moochie bo bo boo boo MOCHIE BOO BOO HEre comes BAMMY BOO BOO !!!! SASSY!

Comment

• Zig al-din
      Zig al-din commented
      Editing a comment

Hoppy Shimko wrote:
      It's teh MOOChie wants to cHOPCHOP on the last train to CLaysville in Golf moochie bo bo boo boo MOCHIE BOO BOO HEre comes BAMMY BOO BOO !!!! SASSY!

LOL. 

I couldna put it better myself! 

He does get a huge pass on it among democrats, it seems. But true leftist media (such as democracy now) has been highly critical of it. Ever since the beginning.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    {www.dronecloud.org}
    {www.soniccrayonfx.com}

Comment

• Zig al-din
      Zig al-din commented
      Editing a comment

tape wrote:
      He does get a huge pass on it among democrats, it seems. But true leftist media (such as democracy now) has been highly critical of it. Ever since the beginning.

Yep. I don't know if you're familiar with Jeremy Scahill's work, but he's done some really good reporting on this issue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/02/jeremy-scahill-says-drone-strikes-murders_n_1565441.html 

"If you go to the village of Al-Majalah in Yemen, where I was, and you see the unexploded clusterbombs and you have the list and photographic evidence, as I do--the women and children that represented the vast majority of the deaths in this first strike that Obama authorized on Yemen--those people were murdered by President Obama, on his orders, because there was believed to be someone from Al Qaeda in that area. There's only one person that's been identified that had any connection to Al Qaeda there. And 21 women and 14 children were killed in that strike and the U.S. tried to cover it up, and say it was a Yemeni strike, and we know from the Wikileaks cables that David Petraeus conspired with the president of Yemen to lie to the world about who did that bombing. It's murder--it's mass murder--when you say, 'We are going to bomb this area' because we believe a terrorist is there, and you know that women and children are in the area. The United States has an obligation to not bomb that area if they believe that women and children are there. I'm sorry, that's murder."

Working...
X