Android phones will wipe out the Apple iPhone

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android phones will wipe out the Apple iPhone

What are your thoughts on this.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a look at the American Indian" — Henry Ford

My Galaxy Note 2 is awsome.  Much larger screen than the iPhone 4 it replaced.

Comment

• Kreatorkind
      Kreatorkind commented
      Editing a comment

I don't know... I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet, I like it a lot better than the iPad. 

• braif
      braif commented
      Editing a comment

Only if Android were to ever somehow miraculously become a halfway decent operating system....I just can't believe how BAD android is...Harmony Central works better than every Android device I've ever held...

guitarville wrote:

What are your thoughts on this.

I think it depends on whether or not Apple is really working on a "value-priced" version of the Iphone that can compete in China and other developing markets.  They also need to make some serious changes to Itunes.

Comment

• GTRMAN
      GTRMAN commented
      Editing a comment

I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone and a Samsung Galaxy  Tab 2. They are so much easier to operate and more intuitive than Apple products.

• Reverse Entropy
      Reverse Entropy commented
      Editing a comment

mdwagner73 wrote:

I think it depends on whether or not Apple is really working on a "value-priced" version of the Iphone that can compete in China and other developing markets.  They also need to make some serious changes to Itunes.

Exactly right. Apple's product is seen as a conspicuous #1 prestige choice in China, and they LOVE flashy consumption and the 'face' of that prestige.However the Android phones are already selling in gigantic numbers there, and there are hundreds of apps 'channels' where you can get stuff for your CloneFone. The existing size of Android in China *now* is astonishing. Apple needs to hit the lower tiers soon, or they'll miss out on hundreds of millions of units.

• Zooey
      Zooey commented
      Editing a comment

edit--meant to quote a post and created a blank post instead.  how is that even possible?  anyway...

IPhones suck.

That's my thought about it.

Comment

• gspointer
      gspointer commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope they have an easy way to share and synch calendars and contacts with PCs and tablets. I went apple a few years ago and love how easy it is to use those apps.

Android's edge is that you can get an Android phone through anybody.

I HATE AT&T, and Verizon is high ($), compared to many others.  I'd like to have an iPhone, but won't pay an extra $30/mo for the 'privilege'

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "
    — Isaac Asimov

Comment

I could care, but I will not. Quit using your phones while driving. I do not want one of you idiots causing car accidents driving drunk on phone.

Comment

Still using my original Motorola Droid.

4 years old and running great.

Comment

• RedRoadEnsemble
          RedRoadEnsemble commented
          Editing a comment

We see more iPhones than Androids on wireless. Androids are catching up, but security is an issue.

wipe out? no. be a serious competitor against? yes, moreso than it is now, even.

My first smartphone was an android. It's fine for my needs. My tablet is as well. Untill I accidentally crushed it.

I won an ipad mini recently. I tried it out for a few days before deciding to sell it. It's a really sexy machine, and I can see why a lot of people like it, but I like to be able to customize these kinds of things. Tailor the UI to how I want, have control over exactly what's running in the background, etc. You can do this easily on android. Not so much on the ipad, so I sold it, and used the money to get a new android tablet. Besides, I didn't feel like paying all over again for apps.

to each their own.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        {www.dronecloud.org}
        {www.soniccrayonfx.com}

Comment

I have a Samsung Galaxy SIII, but when I heard my girlfriend bought an iPhone 5 to replace the Galaxy SIII that suddenly broke after 6 months of use, I got very worried.

Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky

Whenever you hear anything said very confidently, the first thing that should come to mind is, wait a minute is that true?

Comment

I've owned both, and enjoyed using both.  They each have their pros and cons.

iPhone

Pro:  Really slick user interface, millions of apps, easy sync with macs and PCs (unlss they're running Linux, in which case it's all a bit of a pain), high 'pose' value.

Con:  If you want to do anything that Apple hasn't decided to allow, like unlocking the phone or adding non-approved apps, you're pretty quickly in a world of pain, and that pain can recur with every update, Expensive, impossible to upgrade the internal storage and difficult to change the battery.  Tied to one manufacturer and their choices about what hardware you get, if you're a developer, you sort of have to program in Objective-C (which isn't my favourite language, or very popuar outside AppleWorld)

Android

Pro: A great deal of choice over hardware, competitive pricing due to multiple manufacturers, generally users can upgrade the storage via memory cards, and can change the battery when it begins to go floppy, generally user-friendly user interfaces, easy to unlock.

Con: Not as uniform in terms of user interface as the iPhone/iPad, generally greater kernel latency than the iPhone, making it unsuitable for many music recording apps, not as easy to sync music.

My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S, which is a few years behind the times but thanks to the good people at Cyanogenmod it is still more than capable of running the latest Android version speedily.  My old iPhone got progressively slower with every 'upgrade' that Apple pushed to it.

Only three things are important: Love, peace and pale ale.

Comment

• Hoddy
              Hoddy commented
              Editing a comment

Gromit wrote:

Con:  If you want to do anything that Apple hasn't decided to allow, like unlocking the phone or adding non-approved apps, you're pretty quickly in a world of pain

My daughter recently got an iPhone 4S from a friend of her's...we're with TMobile and the iPhone was with AT&T...all it took was one phone call to AT&T and a couple minutes later the iPhone was unlocked...quite painless.

• tape
              tape commented
              Editing a comment

Gromit wrote:

Android

Con: Not as uniform in terms of user interface as the iPhone/iPad

I see this as firmly in the Pro category. Another way to say "not as uniform" is "greater variety of user interfaces, providing different choices". As opposed to "iPhone/iPad user interface, or nothing at all."

I for one am extremelly glad Android's user itnerface isn't uniform. And apps handle it just fine.

• Edward
              Edward commented
              Editing a comment

Gromit wrote:

iPhone

Pro:  Really slick user interface, millions of apps, easy sync with macs and PCs (unlss they're running Linux, in which case it's all a bit of a pain), high 'pose' value.

Con:  If you want to do anything that Apple hasn't decided to allow, like unlocking the phone or adding non-approved apps, you're pretty quickly in a world of pain, and that pain can recur with every update, Expensive, impossible to upgrade the internal storage and difficult to change the battery.  Tied to one manufacturer and their choices about what hardware you get, if you're a developer, you sort of have to program in Objective-C (which isn't my favourite language, or very popuar outside AppleWorld)

Android

Pro: A great deal of choice over hardware, competitive pricing due to multiple manufacturers, generally users can upgrade the storage via memory cards, and can change the battery when it begins to go floppy, generally user-friendly user interfaces, easy to unlock.

Con: Not as uniform in terms of user interface as the iPhone/iPad, generally greater kernel latency than the iPhone, making it unsuitable for many music recording apps, not as easy to sync music.

My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S, which is a few years behind the times but thanks to the good people at Cyanogenmod it is still more than capable of running the latest Android version speedily.  My old iPhone got progressively slower with every 'upgrade' that Apple pushed to it.

I remember some years back being into the idea of an iPhone (before I learned more about Apple, turned agains their proprietary 'walled garden' approach and came to loathe their overpricing and lifestyle marketing). After buynig an ipod (which I'll use til it dies - not with iTunes - and then see what else is available. It was the best deal at the time, I didn't buy it because it was an Apple) and being impressed, I was extremely disappointed by the spec of the iPhone. All of the above drawbacks, plus the camera was rubbish and had no flash. Still can't match the resoluton of the one I have. Currently running a Samsung Galaxy SII, which is very nice indeed. My only real gripe is that - in common with the last couple of phones I've had - I can't seem to set my own text alert noise, which I always liked to do. Unlike ringtones where I can use mp3s, it railroads me into using only the preset list of text alerts. Poor show. Oh.... that and I wish the packet data could be switched on and off as easily as the wifi (have to go through two or three menu levels to do it). I like to keep that switched off mostly to prolong battery life (amazing the difference it makes). This is a work phone - due an upgrade for my personal phone. I am seriously considering the Note if Orange can do me a deal where I get it free (I'm not into paying for upgrades, not worth it) - if not, it'll probably be a SIII for me. 

I actually quite liked the Nokia Windows phone. Friends have had good experiences but found the range of available software too limited. 

i got a note 2 a couple of weeks ago. agreed. ifs an amazing device. and ig works very very well.
            brb able to add memory
            brb able to change out battery ( not that i need to as the battery lasts two days)

Comment

• Hoddy
              Hoddy commented
              Editing a comment

McLovin wrote:
              i got a note 2 a couple of weeks ago. agreed. ifs an amazing device. and ig works very very well.
              brb able to add memory
              brb able to change out battery ( not that i need to as the battery lasts two days)

Batteries do wear out, so it is nice to be able to easily replace them. The battery on my HTC Sensation was starting to go bad...so I got an OEM battery on Ebay for around $10 shipped...put it in and now the phone works like new.

• Another Brick
              Another Brick commented
              Editing a comment

McLovin wrote:
              brb able to add memory

I haven't posted to HC on mine yet.  I guess I should try it and see if the message comes out this garbled.

Hoddy: I agree, it is nice that you can replace your batteries on the android phones.
            Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky

Whenever you hear anything said very confidently, the first thing that should come to mind is, wait a minute is that true?

Comment

Working...
            X