Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolt of the Rich - Even Republicans Take Notice

An article in The American Conservative bags on the current generation of one-percenters, maintaining that the super-rich have seceded from America, even as their grip on its control mechanisms has tightened

LINK

From the article-

"Our plutocracy now lives like the British in colonial India: in the place and ruling it, but not of it. If one can afford private security, public safety is of no concern; if one owns a Gulfstream jet, crumbling bridges cause less apprehension

"It is said that power corrupts, but actually it’s more true that power attracts the corruptible." - David Brin

Surprised nobody else commented. More from the link:

"To some degree the rich have always secluded themselves from the gaze of the common herd; their habit for centuries has been to send their offspring to private schools. But now this habit is exacerbated by the plutocracy

Comment

• guido61
      guido61 commented
      Editing a comment

This isn't news.  It's been apparant that the very rich absolved themselves of any loyalty to America long ago.  

The main Republican/conservative response to this seems to be that the only chance America has is to get on our knees, grovel, and beg them to stay in America by promising to give them lower tax rates than anybody else.

I say "**************** 'em".

• arcadesonfire
      arcadesonfire commented
      Editing a comment

kav wrote:

In both world wars, even a Harvard man or a New York socialite might know the weight of an army pack. Now the military is for suckers from the laboring classes whose subprime mortgages you just sliced into CDOs and sold to gullible investors in order to buy your second Bentley or rustle up the cash to get Rod Stewart to perform at your birthday party. The sentiment among the super-rich towards the rest of America is often one of contempt rather than noblesse."

A cousin of mine married into the one percent. (Even though our grandpa had worked as Mobil's envoy to the Iraq Petroleum Company and even though her pop was an agent for Credit Suisse, she wasn't a 1 percenter till marrying a guy who had an even wealthier father.)

Anyway, her husband bought himself a new Bentley for Christmas in 2011.

Guido: I suspect the lack of loyalty is to the government rather than the country.

Can't say that I blame them, because the government has and continues to show its lack of loyalty to the people with each passing day.

Comment

• thefunkman
      thefunkman commented
      Editing a comment

First, I'm happy to see this eventually got some traction. Second, I have a busy day in store & won't have time to add my take today: There are a lot of layers to this, and neither a blanket "fug them" nor a blanket "I adore them" response will be adequate.  One item though: Why only in America, and why only recently?

ceopay4.png

Attached Files

• guido61
      guido61 commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
      Guido: I suspect the lack of loyalty is to the government rather than the country.

Can't say that I blame them, because the government has and continues to show its lack of loyalty to the people with each passing day.

No.  They OWN the government.   And they give equally to Dems and Pubs for the most part.  

What's changed is there USED to be real patriotism among the very rich and business leaders.   Can you really picture entire industries retooling their businesses to support a war effort the way they did during WWII, today?  I don't see it.  They'd be selling stuff to both sides if it made them more money to do so.

• mdwagner73
      mdwagner73 commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

Right.  The rich don't trust the government that they control.  That makes perfect sense.

Guido. Thank you.

Comment

Besides the issue of people hoarding money and/or buying outrageous luxuries while others starve, there is the problem of a small number of people having most of the political power.  An issue I have never seen a conservative address.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."- George Orwell

My music: http://www.oranjproductions.com

The first website dedicated to the the baritone guitar: http://www.thebaritoneguitar.com

Comment

• Ed
        Ed commented
        Editing a comment

Hard Truth wrote:

Besides the issue of people hoarding money and/or buying outrageous luxuries while others starve, there is the problem of a small number of people having most of the political power.  An issue I have never seen a conservative address.

The people hold all of the political power. You might not agree with what the people want, but that is how it is set up. And yes, it works.

Working...
    X