Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Righties / GOP - honest question.(s)

Trying not to ask in a loaded way, but I'm not sure I can - here goes...

1 - Do you realize there is an issue in the GOP, that is the social conservatives vs. the fiscal conservatives?

2 - If you ackowledge the above is an issue, what is the solution?

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "
    — Isaac Asimov

Yes, of course there is currently a divide between two very different camps.

There really is no way around this, except for maybe the tea party becoming a legitimate third party. That would leave the crazies in the republican party that are nothing more than far right christian progressives in drag. The fiscal conservatives are not about winning at all costs, so you can't talk about how they have to change in order to win. To change means losing. The conservative republicans are a dying breed who cannot win without the fiscal conservatives, so they are currently trying to portray an image of fiscal responsibility, while doing nothing of the sort.

In the end, the democrats with their unfunded promises will win, until the house of cards comes crashing down around them.

Comment

• Daryl Flynn
      Daryl Flynn commented
      Editing a comment

Find another Reagan to bring both sides together.

• newbie chick
      newbie chick commented
      Editing a comment

Ed wrote:

Yes, of course there is currently a divide between two very different camps.

There really is no way around this, except for maybe the tea party becoming a legitimate third party. That would leave the crazies in the republican party that are nothing more than far right Christian progressives in drag. The fiscal conservatives are not about winning at all costs, so you can't talk about how they have to change in order to win. To change means losing. The conservative republicans are a dying breed who cannot win without the fiscal conservatives, so they are currently trying to portray an image of fiscal responsibility, while doing nothing of the sort.

In the end, the democrats with their unfunded promises will win, until the house of cards comes crashing down around them.

Who and what  are these far right Christian progressives? 

What is the difference between a conservative republican and a fiscal conservative?

gtrjones wrote:

1 - Do you realize there is an issue in the GOP, that is the social conservatives vs. the fiscal conservatives?

1- Yes and it's a big problem for me, I'm pretty liberal on social issues.

2- I have no idea writing our congress people I doubt would have any effect, Hopefully the GOP wakes up and see's the writing on the wall.

Comment

• GZsound
      GZsound commented
      Editing a comment
      There are many conservatives or republicans who are both social and fiscal conservatives. There isn't a huge problem with the two sides now. The problem is finding a leader that can put forth conservative ideals in spite of the attacks from the main stream media. A lot of democrats are fiscal conservatives and also social conservatives. Many more people consider themselves right of center than those who are left of center and liberals are less than 20 percent of the population.

• TIMKEYS
      TIMKEYS commented
      Editing a comment

NOS68 wrote:

gtrjones wrote:

1- Yes and it's a big problem for me, I'm pretty liberal on social issues.

2- I have no idea writing our congress people I doubt would have any effect, Hopefully the GOP wakes up and see's the writing on the wall.

I think you will see republicans not put abortion up front in their platform.  The way i see it if democrats and liberals want to abort their young ,, let them.    The last thing we need is more liberals.     Progressives are going to exterminate themselves because their policy doesnt work.   People are going to tire of being un employed , tire of the debt and tire of king wanna be obama and all his lies.   Dems will lose big time on the issue of gun control.,,, they will over reach and shoot themselves in the foot.  

Gtrjones: the answer is called libertarianism.

Comment

• Luigi
      Luigi commented
      Editing a comment

As a lifelong TEAbagger I am sick of the religious idiots embarrassing the conservative position. TRUE conservatives don't care about people's private affairs, only the issue of freedom and fair taxation with PROPER representation and wise use of such revenues, that is what we the people of the TEA Party stands for. All the "republican" issues as promoted by foxnews rush limbaugh and religious figures are unimportant.

• gtrjones
      gtrjones commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

Then libertarians need spokesmen that aren't crazy.

Example:  Ron Paul - has a few good ideas, but then he doubles down and it's just too much.  Yes, get the troops home.  Good.  But to then go so far as to say we'll never send troops overseas again, not realistic.  Sure some government bureaucracies could use reform.  But to completely eliminate the Dept of Energy, the EPA, and the Federal Reserve, all at once, that's a recipe for disaster.

It goes beyond fiscal conservatism to fiscal absurdity

• Graeca
      Graeca commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

Wrong...the answer is, rather than buying into any "-ism", to think for yourself.

gtrjones wrote:

I only know that, if I were a politician, I wouldn't be smart enough to spin everything I do to suit whatever the polls say I should think.  So I'd try just doing the right thing and letting the chips fall where they may.

I think there may be more Americans who believe in doing the right thing than the press would lead us to believe.

Comment

• Red Ant
      Red Ant commented
      Editing a comment

Used2BMarkoh wrote:

I think there may be more Americans who believe in doing the right thing than the press would lead us to believe.

I don't believe enough Americans can agree on what "doing the right thing" is to form any kind of majority.

• Graeca
      Graeca commented
      Editing a comment

Used2BMarkoh wrote:

gtrjones wrote:

I only know that, if I were a politician, I wouldn't be smart enough to spin everything I do to suit whatever the polls say I should think.  So I'd try just doing the right thing and letting the chips fall where they may.

There is...that's why Obama beat both McCain AND Romney.

Americans predominantly saw that NEITHER gentleman would be the BEST choice for their country, thus, by default, the least bad choice was chosen.

gtrjones wrote:

As a lifelong TEAbagger, I must confess I truly despise the republican party. I am much more aligned to the democratic party, with the exception they aren't cutting spending. I am not one of the unrealistic TEAbaggers that believes everything can be solved by less government or military action, no, I think Obama is actually turning the ship around and I hope thisadministration begins to find waste and cut that first. All we need is honesty. Once you take the nasty medicine, you start to get better. We, as a nation, don't want to taste the medicine, but there is no other solution.

Comment

• Used2BMarkoh
      Used2BMarkoh commented
      Editing a comment

Hoppy Shimko wrote:

gtrjones wrote:

As a lifelong TEAbagger, I must confess I truly despise the republican party. I am much more aligned to the democratic party, with the exception they aren't cutting spending. I am not one of the unrealistic TEAbaggers that believes everything can be solved by less government or military action, no, I think Obama is actually turning the ship around and I hope thisadministration begins to find waste and cut that first. All we need is honesty. Once you take the nasty medicine, you start to get better. We, as a nation, don't want to taste the medicine, but there is no other solution.

I get it now, you're being funny.  Especially the part about using 'this administration' and 'cut' in the same sentence, that's a good one.  Ok - 'honesty', that's a good one too.  "A reporter asked you what? Honesty? I dunno, Jay, look it up on google, tell 'em we'd be honest if it wasn't for those congressional republicans"

Working...
X