Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police barred from Vermont gun range over proposed semi-automatic rifle ban.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police barred from Vermont gun range over proposed semi-automatic rifle ban.

The battle over the right to bear arms is flaring in Vermont, where a local gun range has moved to prohibit the Burlington Police Department from training at its facilities after the City Council voted to advance a measure banning semi-automatic rifles and large-capacity magazines.

The leadership of the Lamoille Valley Fish and Game Club explained that it's "difficult" for the club to support the city -- even its officers -- given the actions of the council.  

"We have members in Burlington as well as members of our club that are going to be passing through Burlington and this would directly affect them and we felt that a prejudicial vote like that was going to be non-supportive of our club and being non-supportive of our club makes it very difficult to support Burlington City," said Bob Boivin, chairman of the Lamoille Valley Fish and Game Club.

"It is a constitutional issue. I mean, it's not just a Second Amendment constitutional issue; but it's also a constitutional issue for Vermont. We have laws that have the state governing our gun controls in this area and they're looking to supersede those," he said.  

The group's ban will affect how and when officers train in the state, where such facilities are limited.

In response, the Burlington Police Department released a statement saying: "It is unfortunate that this important and much-needed community dialogue regarding gun control currently under way in the City of Burlington and across the nation has resulted in this action."

The city government is defending the measure.

"In the absence of federal legislation or state law we feel it has come upon us as a city to take the measures we feel are necessary to protect our citizens," Burlington City Councilman Norman Blais said.

"Ultimately, I don't think that the best way to assert control over guns is at the local level," conceded Joan Shannon, president of the Burlington City Council. "But here in Burlington, I think we felt the need to act because we didn't see action coming from either the state level or the federal level."

Boivin argues city-by-city gun rules would create a multitude of challenges.

"If you're going to a shoot, say in one end of Vermont to the other, you have to check the laws for every town in between, and you will pass through a half a dozen different towns, and that makes it almost impossible for someone to stay as a legal gun owner, and that's what we're concerned about," he said.

"Rational, responsible, gun owners" at their best. Incredible stupidity.....in the name of the constitution.

“True unalienable rights do not require one to trample other unalienable rights.”
    ―J.S.B. Morse

Ah yes, the unintended consequences.

Comment

• moonlightin
      moonlightin commented
      Editing a comment

tequila_titan wrote:

Ah yes, the unintended consequences.

Yes. Having cops who can't fire accurately could leave more victims. That is what that particular place wants eh. Okay. These idiots think they're going to be the ones protecting the public? Well, that could open up more lawsuits. Privatization for security. Costs go up but the taxpayer won't have to pay.

They have every right to do this. What is your problem with property rights? They can forbid any government agent from entering their premises unless they have a warrant.

quickie1 wrote:

The battle over the right to bear arms is flaring in Vermont, where a local gun range has moved to prohibit the Burlington Police Department from training at its facilities after the City Council voted to advance a measure banning semi-automatic rifles and large-capacity magazines.

The leadership of the Lamoille Valley Fish and Game Club explained that it's "difficult" for the club to support the city -- even its officers -- given the actions of the council.  

"We have members in Burlington as well as members of our club that are going to be passing through Burlington and this would directly affect them and we felt that a prejudicial vote like that was going to be non-supportive of our club and being non-supportive of our club makes it very difficult to support Burlington City," said Bob Boivin, chairman of the Lamoille Valley Fish and Game Club.

"It is a constitutional issue. I mean, it's not just a Second Amendment constitutional issue; but it's also a constitutional issue for Vermont. We have laws that have the state governing our gun controls in this area and they're looking to supersede those," he said.  

The group's ban will affect how and when officers train in the state, where such facilities are limited.

In response, the Burlington Police Department released a statement saying: "It is unfortunate that this important and much-needed community dialogue regarding gun control currently under way in the City of Burlington and across the nation has resulted in this action."

The city government is defending the measure.

"In the absence of federal legislation or state law we feel it has come upon us as a city to take the measures we feel are necessary to protect our citizens," Burlington City Councilman Norman Blais said.

"Ultimately, I don't think that the best way to assert control over guns is at the local level," conceded Joan Shannon, president of the Burlington City Council. "But here in Burlington, I think we felt the need to act because we didn't see action coming from either the state level or the federal level."

Boivin argues city-by-city gun rules would create a multitude of challenges.

"If you're going to a shoot, say in one end of Vermont to the other, you have to check the laws for every town in between, and you will pass through a half a dozen different towns, and that makes it almost impossible for someone to stay as a legal gun owner, and that's what we're concerned about," he said.

"Rational, responsible, gun owners" at their best. Incredible stupidity.....in the name of the constitution.

Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Comment

• Hoddy
      Hoddy commented
      Editing a comment

The gun shop is under no obligation the police department....the city of Burlington should build its own range.

Good for them.

Comment

• rbstern
      rbstern commented
      Editing a comment

OK, let's see if we can get the facts of this situaton straight:

1. Vermont has no gun control laws.  Citizens can freely carry guns for self-protection, sporting purposes, militia activities, whatever they want.  Concealed and open carry. 

2. Vermont is among the safest, if not the safest state in the U.S.

3. The city government of Burlington wants to pass an illegal (according to state law) ordinance to institute gun control, out of concern for public safety (!!!).

4. A local gun club says they won't support that government by providing a money saving benefit to the city, since the city is acting in a way the gun club thinks is illegal and harmful to the club's interest.

5. HCPP gun control idiots agree wholeheartedly with the city of Burlington.

I think that wraps up this episode of "I'm a liberal and I can't distinguish fantasy from reality."

Ya know.... maybe the way to curb the whole gun violence thing is to really raise the price on bullets.

Comment

• guido61
      guido61 commented
      Editing a comment

moonlightin wrote:

Ya know.... maybe the way to curb the whole gun violence thing is to really raise the price on bullets.

Moon: Just remember.....you can only push people so far before there is the inevitable blowback.

Comment

• fretmess
      fretmess commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
      Moon: Just remember.....you can only push people so far before there is the inevitable blowback.

Just what are you trying to say?

Fret: I'm not trying to say anything.

Comment

• Just Me
      Just Me commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
      Fret: I'm not trying to say anything.

just stop with your little threats already... you sound really pathetic,

believe me, nobody is scared of you and and your little pea-shooters, or the other defective little children threatening to shoot up the country if they dont get their way.

quickie1 wrote:

Translation:

waaaa

Attached Files

Comment

Just Me: One thing I don't do is make threats.

Comment

• Just Me
        Just Me commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Just Me: One thing I don't do is make threats.

I knew  you didnt have the stones to own it.

Just: What is there to own?

Comment

• Just Me
        Just Me commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Just: What is there to own?

hah, thats the ticket, play stupid .... own up to your "veiled threats" ?

Whattsamatter, no stones? Whjatya waiting for, paper tiger?

These are from just one thread, Paper Tiger.....

mauser wrote:
        Sic semper tyrannis

mauser wrote:
        If things keep going the way they're going, conflict will be inevitable.

mauser wrote:
        It's the supposedly civilized folks you'd better worry about.

mauser wrote:

By the time it actually gets rolling, it won't just be Ted and his rag-tag band of merry men.

mauser wrote:
        Erik: It occurs to me frequently that civil war is nasty business.

It also occurs to me that if all else fails, that's precisely what will occur.

mauser wrote:
        Fred: Critical mass has yet to be achieved, but it's getting closer.

mauser wrote:

By the time it actually gets rolling, it won't just be Ted and his rag-tag band of merry men.

Your characterizations, not mine.

Comment

Buckethead: we had an election. The revolution hasn't happened yet.

Comment

• Just Me
          Just Me commented
          Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

waht are you waiting for, paper tiger?

lol

• buckethead99
          buckethead99 commented
          Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

I have been hearing that since the 70s mauser.

Revolution Calling!

Really though the gun debate is a important issue that adults will take care of by legislation.

Now if the President were to be pushing a full ban on All guns that might be different,But he is not.

I dont think gun owners have anything to worry about you guys who are all worked up about all of this like the NRA need to accept reality. Hell even some Liberals here are out of there mind on the issue as far as losing rights. Be happy man,dont sweat the petty stuff.

Just Me: At the moment I'm waiting on the coffee maker to finish brewing.

Comment

• buckethead99
          buckethead99 commented
          Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
          Just Me: At the moment I'm waiting on the coffee maker to finish brewing.

Enjoy it,adios mauser.

Buckethead: okey dokey

Comment

The police can go to the North country sports men's club 3 miles away, or Laberge's gun range 5 miles away.

The gun club in the OP just chased away a sizable portion of their customer base.

Comment

• mauser
            mauser commented
            Editing a comment

BA.Barcolounger wrote:
            The police can go to the North country sports men's club 3 miles away, or Laberge's gun range 5 miles away.

The gun club in the OP just chased away a sizable portion of their customer base.

Apparently monetary considerations isn't the most important thing to them.

Working...
        X