Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to trace a gun used in a crime? Good luck with that.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to trace a gun used in a crime? Good luck with that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/25/AR2010102505823.html

Just saw a story about this on CBS news.

The NRA has been successful in preventing ATF records from being computerized.   Some now consider them to be in control of the ATF.   Upset about Fast and Furious?  How about Slow and Sluggish when law enforcement needs information about a gun's serial number?  The records are, by law, kept in paper and microfilm.  Who do you think helped write that law?

One generation plants the trees,
    The other feels the shade.

...Otis Gibbs

thankyou wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/25/AR2010102505823.html

The NRA has been successful in preventing ATF records from being computerized.   Some now consider them to be in control of the ATF.   Upset about Fast and Furious?  How about Slow and Sluggish when law enforcement needs information about a gun's serial number?  The records are, by law, kept in paper and microfilm.  Who do you think helped write that law?

I expect the gun toters to barrel on in here now and explain this. I'll go get my popcorn. Maybe I'll plug in a movie while I wait.

Comment

• thankyou
      thankyou commented
      Editing a comment

moonlightin wrote:

thankyou wrote:

I expect the gun toters to barrel on in here now and explain this. I'll go get my popcorn. Maybe I'll plug in a movie while I wait.

Now, if we only kept records of like that for everything.  John Ashcroft was all about going after potential terrorists, except to check about whether they owned gunz.

• madryan
      madryan commented
      Editing a comment

moonlightin wrote:

thankyou wrote:

Sorry to disappoint but I think a national registry would be a good thing.  I think hanging a federal Felony on anyone caught with an unregistered Firearm would be fine.  

My guns are for competition shooting or protecting my family in the event of the odd natural disaster or whatever.  The Federal Government lacks the manpower and the Political will to confiscate them and I'm fine with registering them.  I do however think that a registry would be somewhat helpful for Law Enforcement.

Nothing is going to help as much as fixing our Healthcare system and providing economic and social mobility in our inner cities.  Ending the War on Drugs should be a priority as well.

thankyou wrote:

The NRA has to much say about our gun laws,They should be put on Ignore also until they mature.

Comment

• gspointer
      gspointer commented
      Editing a comment

So do a lot of shooters discard their guns at the scene of the crime?

Thankyou : A dremel works pretty well.

Comment

Guido: Registration leads to confiscation, and quite frankly.....the government doesn't need to know what I own.

Comment

• John Ellis
        John Ellis commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Guido: Registration leads to confiscation, and quite frankly.....the government doesn't need to know what I own.

Exactly.

Especially when they are willing to broadcast the information in a local paper. 

• guido61
        guido61 commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Guido: Registration leads to confiscation, 

Bull****************.  Take off the tin foil hat.  

• gismo recording
        gismo recording commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

Really? Know anybody whose car has been confiscated lately?

Paranoia, thy name is mauser.

Buckethead: "The NRA" is about 4 million Americans. I don't believe they're going to be ignored.

Comment

• yumpy
        yumpy commented
        Editing a comment

what was the question again?

• guido61
        guido61 commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Buckethead: "The NRA" is about 4 million Americans. I don't believe they're going to be ignored.

I hope they are not.  

74% of NRA members support background checks for ALL gun purchases   So why is Wayne LaPierre ignoring his own membership?

Guido: The net effect of the NFA and the POS legislation signed by Reagan in 1986 is that an artificial shortage was created in the supply of automatic weapons for the civilian market resulting in skyhigh prices and an inability on the part of most people to afford them.

And yes....this does infringe upon the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Comment

• guido61
        guido61 commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Guido: The net effect of the NFA and the POS legislation signed by Reagan in 1986 is that an artificial shortage was created in the supply of automatic weapons for the civilian market resulting in skyhigh prices and an inability on the part of most people to afford them.

And yes....this does infringe upon the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

No, it does not.   

• gismo recording
        gismo recording commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

Tough ****************. Are you upset that you're not allowed to own a nuclear weapon?

Guido: Let your conscience be your guide.

Comment

Depending on the rules, I believe you'd tell the government to kiss your ass as well.

Comment

• guido61
          guido61 commented
          Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
          Depending on the rules, I believe you'd tell the government to kiss your ass as well.

So this is something you're willing to go to prison over?

Gismo: okey dokey. Thanks.

Comment

Guido: I'll take that to mean that I was right about you and the rules.

Comment

• guido61
            guido61 commented
            Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
            Guido: I'll take that to mean that I was right about you and the rules.

Don't take it to mean anything.  Just answer the question.  Or not.  

Guido: So I am right.

Thanks.

Comment

And to answer your question.....if it means going to prison, so be it.

But given where I live,....I don't see it happening. Nor do I see myself ever registering any firearms.

Comment

• Belva
              Belva commented
              Editing a comment
              Let's do the hypothetical thang. Let's say the gov't decides to force people to register their guns. What happens to those who don't? How is the gov't gonna know who hasn't complied with the law? Are they gonna go around knocking on doors? What then? The resident says, "**************** you. Get a warrant!!"
              How they gonna get said warrant, buy a judge? Gonna hafta pay off a whole buncha judges in order to obtain a warrant for every household that told the 'authorities' to get a warrant. Useless law is useless.

Working...
          X