No announcement yet.

Bob Costas uses the bogus 40% statistic again

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Costas uses the bogus 40% statistic again

First Obama, then Bloomberg. Now Boob Costas is making the rounds and repeating this bogus statistic in several interviews.

40% of firearms are not sold without background checks.

The White House says the figure comes from a 1997 Institute of Justice report, written by Philip Cook of Duke University and Jens Ludwig of the University of Chicago. This study is based on data collected from a survey in 1994, just the Brady law requirements for background checks was coming into effect. (In fact, the questions concerned purchases in 1993 and 1994, while Brady law went into effect in early 1994.) In other words, this is a really old figure.

The data is available for researchers to explore at the Interuniversity consortium on political and social research (ICPSR) at the University of Michigan. Digging deeper, we find that the survey sample was just 251 people. (The survey was done by telephone, using a random-digit-dial method, with a response rate of 50 percent.) With this sample size, the 95 percent confidence interval will be plus or minus 6 percentage points.

Moreover, when asked if he or she bought from a licensed firearms dealer, the possible answers included

I don't believe there can be any useful gun control at the "homeowner" level. It must rest with grandfathered arms laws, new manufacture laws, and strict ammo sales.

Comment

• Frets99
      Frets99 commented
      Editing a comment

Hoppy Shimko wrote:
      I don't believe there can be any useful gun control at the "homeowner" level. It must rest with grandfathered arms laws, new manufacture laws, and strict ammo sales.

Seems reasonable. I still don't see the direct correlation with these laws and a lessening of violence or massacre potential but I do understand the desire to save even one life.

Excellent balanced report on some issues in the debate: http://www.npr.org/2013/01/29/170456129/armed-good-guys-and-the-realities-of-facing-a-gunman

To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Comment

• RogueGnome
      RogueGnome commented
      Editing a comment

Caulk Rocket wrote:

First Obama, then Bloomberg. Now Boob Costas is making the rounds and repeating this bogus statistic in several interviews.

Interestingly, while people often speak of the

Caulk Rocket wrote:

Friends or family: 39.5 percent

Comment

• buckethead99
      buckethead99 commented
      Editing a comment

BA.Barcolounger wrote:

Caulk Rocket wrote:

• Caulk Rocket
      Caulk Rocket commented
      Editing a comment

BA.Barcolounger wrote:

Caulk Rocket wrote:

2 lines above where I quote it says...

" The offenders were incarcerated from crimes committed with handguns, and this is how they reported how they obtained the guns:"

Comment

• Caulk Rocket
      Caulk Rocket commented
      Editing a comment

BA.Barcolounger wrote:
      2 lines above where I quote it says...

" The offenders were incarcerated from crimes committed with handguns, and this is how they reported how they obtained the guns:"

Two separate sets of statistics. 

The 1997 Institute of Justice report, of which the bogus 40% of all guns purchased have no background checks comes from.

The statistic you replied to was the 2004 Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, which is only a survey of those who have been convicted of crimes. Totally different than ALL gun purchases in the USA.

That statistic is used to show how useless Obama's proposal for

Comment

• Balthazar Munoz
      Balthazar Munoz commented
      Editing a comment

Bob Costas is an arrogant overberaing piece of filth who has ruined every major sporting event for me  in the last 15 years .He wont go away, and his very presence tarnishes every single important  chamipionship..but he goes there smiliing his vapid  egotisitcal smirk, upchucking  his his rancid matter...thinking that nothing could happen of any importance without him.

He can eat **************** and die.

The government is creating an underground firearms market for otherwise law-abiding citizens.

So be it.

Comment

" since many convicts get their guns on the streets (where new laws wouldn't do any good) while Obama's proposal exempts the other biggest source"

Many murders happen on the street, so therefore we shouldn't bother having laws against murders.

See how silly that sounds?

Comment

• mauser
        mauser commented
        Editing a comment

BA.Barcolounger wrote:
        " since many convicts get their guns on the streets (where new laws wouldn't do any good) while Obama's proposal exempts the other biggest source"

Many murders happen on the street, so therefore we shouldn't bother having laws against murders.

Murder actually violates the rights of another person.

• Caulk Rocket
        Caulk Rocket commented
        Editing a comment

BA.Barcolounger wrote:

Many strawmen happen to be on farms. 

Pineapple: IMO, if you're buying from licensed dealers, you shouldn't be.

Unless you want there to be a paper trail of your purchase.

Comment

Caulk Rocket wrote:

The White House says the figure comes from a 1997 Institute of Justice report, written by Philip Cook of Duke University and Jens Ludwig of the University of Chicago. This study is based on data collected from a survey in 1994, just the Brady law requirements for background checks was coming into effect. (In fact, the questions concerned purchases in 1993 and 1994, while Brady law went into effect in early 1994.) In other words, this is a really old figure.

The data is available for researchers to explore at the Interuniversity consortium on political and social research (ICPSR) at the University of Michigan. Digging deeper, we find that the survey sample was just 251 people. (The survey was done by telephone, using a random-digit-dial method, with a response rate of 50 percent.) With this sample size, the 95 percent confidence interval will be plus or minus 6 percentage points.

Moreover, when asked if he or she bought from a licensed firearms dealer, the possible answers included

“True unalienable rights do not require one to trample other unalienable rights.”
        ―J.S.B. Morse

Comment

• Caulk Rocket
          Caulk Rocket commented
          Editing a comment

quickie1 wrote:

Caulk Rocket wrote:

OT:  The new quote system is ridiculous.  Why do we need to scroll down 5x as much as before reading the same quote 5x as much as before?   But some say that's progress.

Comment

...And my post count doesn't change, either. 

Comment

Mauser, I never bought a gun in my life. My old man either gave it to me or I inherited the rest when he passed. I guess I've got about a doz total, shotguns, hunting rifles, and handguns. Some he bought in the last 10 yrs or so but most of em are 20 or 40 yrs old. How did he get em, no friggin idea. There's prob a record somewhere on the newer ones but I could care less.

Comment

Working...
            X