Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are shootings on the rise or does it just seem that way?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are shootings on the rise or does it just seem that way?

Is it just me or does it seem like there is a major shooting/killing/abduction at the point of a gun happening every day since the Sandy Hook shooting?  If shootings are on the rise, and no gun control measures will be accepted by the NRA and white rednecks, will acceptance of a certain number of killings be the only answer?  Or is it the Liberal Media's fault for reporting these incidents?

we are a gun crazy culture...guns make men out of the impotent slugs (note the gun-o-philes on this forum)

This will continue to happen, and the guntards wont care one bit, as long as they get what they want.  Its just collateral damage to them.

Hell, if the thought of a couple dozen children getting slaughtered doesn't give them pause, I suspect nothing will.

Its the basic right wing mindset - i dont care what happens to anybody, as long as I am ok.

Comment

• yanktar
      yanktar commented
      Editing a comment

Just Me wrote:

we are a gun crazy culture...guns make men out of the impotent slugs (note the gun-o-philes on this forum)

This will continue to happen, and the guntards wont care one bit, as long as they get what they want.  Its just collateral damage to them.

Hell, if the thought of a couple dozen children getting slaughtered doesn't give them pause, I suspect nothing will.

Its the basic right wing mindset - i dont care what happens to anybody, as long as I am ok.

I can name at least a half dozen RWNTs posting here who qualify.

I suspect they are about the same. I suspect you know they have been trending down for years now. With Sandy Hook and gun control front and center the media is pushing most stories. (Not gang/drug related or suicides, but definitely everything "white middle class".
    Dillybar 13 july 2008.
    "I do not expect you to lift one of your lazy fingers to find the proof that I am right."

Comment

regular gun crime (armed robbery, gang shootings, etc) is declining slowly, nationally. However those crimes are increasing in some urban areas and decreasing in other urban areas.

mass killing (guy walking in and shooting up a bunch of people) is up significantly.

Comment

• trainset
        trainset commented
        Editing a comment
        2001 - 2010 murders in urban areas went down 16.7% but went up 16.9% in the suburbs...in the last few years that may have changed...Chicagos have went up 38% in one year since the handgun ban was repealed...in areas like east harlem shoot

• Jack Walker
        Jack Walker commented
        Editing a comment

BA.Barcolounger wrote:
        regular gun crime (armed robbery, gang shootings, etc) is declining slowly, nationally. However those crimes are increasing in some urban areas and decreasing in other urban areas.

mass killing (guy walking in and shooting up a bunch of people) is up significantly.

Yep! Especially in "Gun Free" zones. We protect our high ranking government officals with Uzis. We protect our six year old children with a sign.

:smileylol:

Man's Got To Know His Limitations........

Comment

• rbstern
        rbstern commented
        Editing a comment

Media is shaping your perception.

For example, the old dude in Pheonix who shot his legal adversary and the adversary's lawyer?  A few years ago, that's a double murder covered by local news.  Now, it's ginned-up "high capacity hand gun crazed gunmen" thing.

Day before yesterday, we had a shooting in the Atlanta area.  It was one teenager shooting another teenager over who-knows-what, and it happened outside a middle school.  It immediately rocketed to breaking news on many national outlets, with analysis of the school resource officer stopping the shooter.  Here's an example of the coverage: Reuters frames the whole thing as "the latest outbreak of gun violence in a U.S. school," suggesting that such things didn't happen regularly in years gone by, which is complete nonsense.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/31/us-usa-shooting-atlanta-idUSBRE90U18Y20130131

The debate is being framed for a certain narrative, regardless of accuracy.

Violent crime has been dropping for years now. I think that there is just better reporting of crimes. (And that might bring out the nuts.)

Comment

• Floyd Rosenbomb
        Floyd Rosenbomb commented
        Editing a comment

It is a hot topic for the media.  Playing it day in and day out reassures the criminally insane that if they do a mass shooting too, the media will make them a star.

• madryan
        madryan commented
        Editing a comment

WynnD wrote:
        Violent crime has been dropping for years now. I think that there is just better reporting of crimes. (And that might bring out the nuts.)

Sample error.  

Plus all the feckless losers who would normally just blow their brains out in their basement now go looking to beat the last feckless losers body count so they can become an instant counter culture rock star.

Man's Got To Know His Limitations........

Comment

• yanktar
        yanktar commented
        Editing a comment

The brunette looks like a teenager.

What else would you expect from a paranoid RWNT tin-foil-hatter.

The data says that shooting incidents are indeed on the rise.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

• rbstern
        rbstern commented
        Editing a comment

coyote-1 wrote:
        The data says that shooting incidents are indeed on the rise.

Which data are you referring to?

100% agree. We need to take a serious look at ourselves and figure out why. Until then we need to do common sense things like making sure that people that should not purchase guns and ammo cannot
      "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

Comment

• chuckgp
        chuckgp commented
        Editing a comment

Recent news here(KCMO): 7 Homicides in 48 hours

It's a slow news cycle. Nothing more.

38 mass shootings in 2012.

38 mass shootings in 2011.

69 mass shootings in 2010.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/pdf/major-shootings.pdf

Comment

Working...