Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking: Skeleton found in car park is that of Richard III, last Plantagenet king of England

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking: Skeleton found in car park is that of Richard III, last Plantagenet king of England

htthttp://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2013/feb/04/richard-iii-skeleton-last-plantagenet-king-live

Rathern interesting, especially for history geeks like me

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Yeah, the bones were DNA tested and found to match two of Richard's descendants. As a former King of England, they are being treated with a surprising (I guess) amount of respect, despite being 550 years old and his piss-poor rep in history (Mainly due to Shakespeare, who, for reasons of keeping his head, had to suck up to the Tudors.  Henry Tudor aka Henry VII, defeated Richard III to claim the crown and end the War of the Roses. Henry VII doesn't get the play Henry VIII does but he was actually far more interesting.).

Comment

• Red Ant
      Red Ant commented
      Editing a comment
      I find neither as interesting as the rulers of England (& France) earlier on during the peak of the 100 years' war. I find the period between Crecy and Agincourt fascinating.

• moonlightin
      moonlightin commented
      Editing a comment

yanktar wrote:

Yeah, the bones were DNA tested and found to match two of Richard's descendants. As a former King of England, they are being treated with a surprising (I guess) amount of respect, despite being 550 years old and his piss-poor rep in history (Mainly due to Shakespeare, who, for reasons of keeping his head, had to suck up to the Tudors.  Henry Tudor aka Henry VII, defeated Richard III to claim the crown and end the War of the Roses. Henry VII doesn't get the play Henry VIII does but he was actually far more interesting.).

I did hear the tudors did a lot of writing of that history.

• rushtallica
      rushtallica commented
      Editing a comment

yanktar wrote:

If Richard III had many guns, this wouldn't have happened.

Interesting! "My kingdom for a parking spot!"

The article I saw mentions *ahem* 'humiliation injuries', such as might have been made by a halberd to the buttocks.

I've been reading a lot about the Plantagenet kings and have been thinking about doing a tour of the historical sites. Gotta add the car park to the list!

Comment

I'm mostly into the period from Henry II to Henry IV -- it drops off a bit for me after that, but the War of the Roses and the Edward IV reign are also interesting.

That mini-series BBC did on Henry VIII was unwatchable for me, but lots of people recommended it.  

Comment

• nice keetee
        nice keetee commented
        Editing a comment

Jimmy Hoffa.

Consider the Yorkists had done what they could to completely exterminate the Lancasters, it's not that surprising that he was buried in ignominiously. One of Henry VII's better moves from the view of healing the wounds fot he past was to marry a Yorkist...

Comment

A lot of people don't realize that Richard III was actually a very accomplished dancer, in spite of his physical deformities. Hence the line, "Now is the winter of our discotheques..." 

Comment

• Opposite Day
          Opposite Day commented
          Editing a comment

Zig al-din wrote:

A lot of people don't realize that Richard III was actually a very accomplished dancer, in spite of his physical deformities. Hence the line, "Now is the winter of our discotheques..." 

My uncle would love this one.

• thankyou
          thankyou commented
          Editing a comment

Zig al-din wrote:

I'd like to write some winter music for discotheques on my keyboard, Roland on the River.

• flemtone
          flemtone commented
          Editing a comment

Zig al-din wrote:

omfg...

REPORTED!!

Ah yeah. 

The guy who oppressed Mel Gibson. 

Comment

• Red Ant
          Red Ant commented
          Editing a comment

Zig al-din wrote:

Ah yeah. 

The guy who oppressed Mel Gibson. 

The guy who at one point had both the king of Scotland and the kind of France as prisoners

Working...
      X