Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The universal background check's unspoken dirty little secret

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The universal background check's unspoken dirty little secret

    There's a reason universal background checks haven't already been enacted: The federal government lacks the authority to enact it.

    Just as the federal government can't tell you how fast you can go on a local roadway, it also lacks the constitutional authority to regulate a private, non-interstate transaction between you and your neighbor for privately owned goods that are legal to own.

    There's no federal issue in a private, face-to-face gun sale of a used firearm between to residents of the same state.  States can regulate that transaction, and some do.  Others don't.

    If Americans don't push back against a universal background check law, we will have allowed the federal government to once again overstep it's legal role.

    P.S. I'm fine if states want to do it.  That's not unconstitutional.


    Current global warming temperature trend: 0.05ºC per decade, plus or minus 0.1ºC (source: UN IPCC AR5) ...Yes, the error rate is higher than the estimated rate of change.

    "Anthropogenic global warming is a proposed theory whose basic mechanism is well understood, but whose magnitude is highly uncertain. The growing evidence that climate models are too sensitive to CO2 has implications for the attribution of late-20th-century warming and projections of 21st-century climate. If the recent warming hiatus is caused by natural variability, then this raises the question as to what extent the warming between 1975 and 2000 can also be explained by natural climate variability." --Dr. Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology

  • #2

    NY is doing it I live there and I am NOT fine with it

     

    (^^^)

    ┌∩┐(â—•_â—•)┌∠©â”

    Comment


    • rbstern
      rbstern commented
      Editing a comment

      lagger wrote:

      NY is doing it I live there and I am NOT fine with it


      I hear you.  I am happy to live in a state where private transactions are just that.


  • #3
    Background checks and registration don't tread on your freeberty. I live in NY and am a gun owner. Never felt stepped on by the gubment because they require a common sense background check. Grow up
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

    Comment


    • lagger
      lagger commented
      Editing a comment

      I don't mind the BG checks when I buy a gun retail, I do mind making FTF arms length trades and sales illegal with the new law that was passed in the dead of the night .. even worse is the new BG checks every time I want a box of .22's or 17 hmr ammo ... big waste of time and money and will stop exactly 0 crimes ... political grandstanding and feel good posturing at my (taxpayer) expense.  all that said I am a registered Dem, voted for Cuomo and won't do so again


    • 360vodka
      360vodka commented
      Editing a comment
      backgrund checks? fine. registration? NO! none of their business.

    • TIMKEYS
      TIMKEYS commented
      Editing a comment

      LithiumZero wrote:
      Background checks and registration don't tread on your freeberty. I live in NY and am a gun owner. Never felt stepped on by the gubment because they require a common sense background check. Grow up

      A good example of why gun registration sucks is those people who had their names published as being gun owners.   Two of them have had home invasions due to the fact that a jackass newspaper published that map with their names and addresses.    Their rights were violated big time.


  • #4
    Rubbish. Taking a little extra time to not sell guns or ammo to people that should not have them is time well spent and really only an annoying inconvenience. I'm tired of hearing about "responsible" gun owners that would refuse to register as well if they were required to. They do the actual responsible gun owners a disservice with their big mouths and crazy rants that only serve to make all of us look like anti gubment morons
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

    Comment


    • lagger
      lagger commented
      Editing a comment

      LithiumZero wrote:
      Rubbish. Taking a little extra time to not sell guns or ammo to people that should not have them is time well spent and really only an annoying inconvenience. I'm tired of hearing about "responsible" gun owners that would refuse to register as well if they were required to. They do the actual responsible gun owners a disservice with their big mouths and crazy rants that only serve to make all of us look like anti gubment morons

      nice sentiment .. but misguided.. BG checks have been in place for years .. and yet..gun  crimes still happen I believe there are peer reviewed studies available that show that draconian laws like the Brady bill and AWB did not reduce gun violence in any significant way.  Why should I as an owner or not an owner, be forced to pay for new regulations like the registration of guns with handles and all forms of ammo BG checks, when those laws were passed in secret in the middle of the night without State required review and discussion periods.. the whole thying stinks even to a liberal like myself.


  • #5
    Background checks are not done at gun shows and in private sale so it's disingenuous to say that they don't work. If one person is stopped from purchasing a weapon that should not have one then it works. I'm a long time gun enthusiast and have never had issue with reasonable gun laws. BG checks and registration are perfectly reasonable unless you think that you may have to take up arms against the gubment. The AWB is pretty useless ( just like assault rifles) but at the end of the day everyone here still has their second amendment rights intact. The anti govt nut cases are fueling this fire and it sucks for reasonable gun owners like myself
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

    Comment


    • nedezero1
      nedezero1 commented
      Editing a comment

      LithiumZero wrote:
      B The AWB is pretty useless ( just like assault rifles)

      Agreed the AWB is useless as proven by actual data.

       

      BTW, when you say "assault rifles", are you speaking of semi-auto rifles that look ugly, or the real assault rifles as the ones used by our military that are full-auto capable?

       


    • Caulk Rocket
      Caulk Rocket commented
      Editing a comment

      LithiumZero wrote:
      Background checks are not done at gun shows and in private sale so it's disingenuous to say that they don't work. If one person is stopped from purchasing a weapon that should not have one then it works. I'm a long time gun enthusiast and have never had issue with reasonable gun laws. BG checks and registration are perfectly reasonable unless you think that you may have to take up arms against the gubment. The AWB is pretty useless ( just like assault rifles) but at the end of the day everyone here still has their second amendment rights intact. The anti govt nut cases are fueling this fire and it sucks for reasonable gun owners like myself

       

       

       

      Any FFL dealer has to perform a background check at gun shows. 

       

       The ATF reports that between 50% and 75% of the vendors at gun shows possess a Federal Firearms License

      http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/treas_pub/gun_show.pdf

       

       

      17 states have laws on the books about private sales at gun shows. 7 states require background checks on all guns sold at shows.


    • madryan
      madryan commented
      Editing a comment

      LithiumZero wrote:
      Background checks are not done at gun shows and in private sale so it's disingenuous to say that they don't work. If one person is stopped from purchasing a weapon that should not have one then it works. I'm a long time gun enthusiast and have never had issue with reasonable gun laws. BG checks and registration are perfectly reasonable unless you think that you may have to take up arms against the gubment. The AWB is pretty useless ( just like assault rifles) but at the end of the day everyone here still has their second amendment rights intact. The anti govt nut cases are fueling this fire and it sucks for reasonable gun owners like myself

       

      Uh...  Yeah they are.  

      FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK People need to quit parroting that bull****************.  It's driving me nuts.


  • #6
    Regulation keeps legal NFA weapons out of the hands of criminals pretty damn well.

    TWO TERMS BITCHES! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Comment


    • #7
      That's 50% that don't and all sates should require them for all sales
      "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

      Comment


      • Belva
        Belva commented
        Editing a comment
        Will Fed gun registration lead to confiscation? That isn't proposed now, but what about later? Will people who register their guns be put in an easily accessible data base? We have to make sure they don't

      • madryan
        madryan commented
        Editing a comment

        LithiumZero wrote:
        That's 50% that don't and all sates should require them for all sales

         

        Those sales (at the gun show) would be between private individuals, just like two folks who met via craigs list.

        FWIW I'm fine with eliminating all private sales but idiots parroting the "Gunshow loophole" BS need to jump in the ****************ing lake.  

        FFL holders do background checks whenever they transfer a firearm because to not do so invites a Federal Deficite sized anal rape by the ATF. 


    • #8
      And there it is..... I wish the morons talking about cars killing people and all the other stupid **************** would just own up to the fact that they are worried about the gubment coming to get them
      "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

      Comment


      • #9
        My handgun has been registered for over 20 years and for all 20 I have heard this nonsense about teh gubment confiscating guns
        "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

        Comment


        • #10
          Ned I was referring to the ar15 and similar. They are really pretty useless if you're being honest about it. I do understand why people like to shoot them but I don't really understand all the worry about not having them. If you are honest with yourself they are pretty attractive to kids and people who fancy themselves commandos. That said a semi auto hunting rifle is more powerful and equally as deadly. I do believe that there is merit in the high capacity mag ban. A hunter or sportsman does not need 30 rounds to enjoy their sport and when the inevitable lunatic does go on a shooting spree it could help cut down on the carnage
          "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

          Comment


          • madryan
            madryan commented
            Editing a comment

            LithiumZero wrote:
            Ned I was referring to the ar15 and similar. They are really pretty useless if you're being honest about it. I do understand why people like to shoot them but I don't really understand all the worry about not having them. If you are honest with yourself they are pretty attractive to kids and people who fancy themselves commandos. That said a semi auto hunting rifle is more powerful and equally as deadly. I do believe that there is merit in the high capacity mag ban. A hunter or sportsman does not need 30 rounds to enjoy their sport and when the inevitable lunatic does go on a shooting spree it could help cut down on the carnage

             

            Objectional speech is, when you get down to it pretty useless.  I personally hate the Westboro Baptist ****************************s.  I've got Gay friends and family and folks like the WBC are hateful  ****************************s.  

            Fortunately, their right to be hateful ****************************s, just like anyones right to own scary guns, are both above reproach.


          • tequila_titan
            tequila_titan commented
            Editing a comment

            It's O.K. because Obama is President.


        • #11
          It would be nice to hear people be reasonable on both sides of the debate as both sides have legitimate points. BG checks and registration are a minor annoyance and if even marginally effective are worth doing for the greater good. People need to calm the **************** down and use some reason instead of whipping up fear of confiscation and ridiculous Hitler references. Like wise the anti gun crowd needs to understand cultural differences between rural and urban Americans.
          "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

          Comment


          • 360vodka
            360vodka commented
            Editing a comment
            i have no idea what gun registration is like because it isn't available in my state. it's not against the law. they just have no way to do it.

        • #12

          rbstern wrote:

          There's a reason universal background checks haven't already been enacted: The federal government lacks the authority to enact it.

          Just as the federal government can't tell you how fast you can go on a local roadway, it also lacks the constitutional authority to regulate a private, non-interstate transaction between you and your neighbor for privately owned goods that are legal to own.

          There's no federal issue in a private, face-to-face gun sale of a used firearm between to residents of the same state.  States can regulate that transaction, and some do.  Others don't.

          If Americans don't push back against a universal background check law, we will have allowed the federal government to once again overstep it's legal role.

          P.S. I'm fine if states want to do it.  That's not unconstitutional.


          The Commerce Clause has some wide arms.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United\_States\_v.\_Rybar

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United\_States\_v.\_Stewart\_(2003)

          Obama Deal With It

          Attached Files

          TWO TERMS BITCHES! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

          Comment


          • rbstern
            rbstern commented
            Editing a comment

            willhaven wrote:

            rbstern wrote:

            There's a reason universal background checks haven't already been enacted: The federal government lacks the authority to enact it.

            Just as the federal government can't tell you how fast you can go on a local roadway, it also lacks the constitutional authority to regulate a private, non-interstate transaction between you and your neighbor for privately owned goods that are legal to own.

            There's no federal issue in a private, face-to-face gun sale of a used firearm between to residents of the same state.  States can regulate that transaction, and some do.  Others don't.

            If Americans don't push back against a universal background check law, we will have allowed the federal government to once again overstep it's legal role.

            P.S. I'm fine if states want to do it.  That's not unconstitutional.


            The Commerce Clause has some wide arms.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Rybar

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Stewart_(2003)

             



            Those would be far more convincing if the people involved were dealing with goods that were legal for them to own in the first place.


        • #13

          rbstern wrote:

          There's a reason universal background checks haven't already been enacted: The federal government lacks the authority to enact it.

          Just as the federal government can't tell you how fast you can go on a local roadway, it also lacks the constitutional authority to regulate a private, non-interstate transaction between you and your neighbor for privately owned goods that are legal to own.

          There's no federal issue in a private, face-to-face gun sale of a used firearm between to residents of the same state.  States can regulate that transaction, and some do.  Others don't.

          If Americans don't push back against a universal background check law, we will have allowed the federal government to once again overstep it's legal role.

          P.S. I'm fine if states want to do it.  That's not unconstitutional.


          I'm pretty much done buying firearms that require forms to be filled out anyway.

          Lots of private sellers out there.

          Comment


          • fretmess
            fretmess commented
            Editing a comment

            mauser wrote:

            I'm pretty much done buying firearms that require forms to be filled out anyway.

            Lots of private sellers out there.



            Now why did you feel that we needed to be aware of your firearm purchasing methods?


        • #14

          The federal government is free to tell states that they get no more funding for local and state law enforcement until they step up and enact background check laws.

          Once that source of sweet cash dries up, Even the most conservative states will cowtow.

          Comment


          • #15
            Exactly. If there isn't a check on every sale then there is indeed a problematic loophole but you guys can continue you dishonesty about it. Background checks do not infringe on your rights
            "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

            Comment


            • madryan
              madryan commented
              Editing a comment

              LithiumZero wrote:
              Exactly. If there isn't a check on every sale then there is indeed a problematic loophole but you guys can continue you dishonesty about it. Background checks do not infringe on your rights

               

              So how do you enforce it?  

              I've said over and over that I'm a fan of a registry, with a complete ban on all private sales.  I think every transfer should go through an NICS check.  

              However, you'll never pass it while you've got idiots like Feinstien trying to ban whole classes of weapons because people don't trust the government.  They'll look at states like NY and others and say "**************** that" and fight it every step.

              If, however, you concede that your law-abiding gun owners aren't the problem, and you loosen up some of the existing federal level bans and let folks own whatever the hell they want small arms wise once they've been checked out, BUT...  Everything must be registered and it becomes an instant Federal Felony to be caught in posession of an unregistered firearm, then you might get somewhere.

               

               



          Working...
          X