Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: .30-06 bullet choice for a 1000 yard shot.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mauser
    started a topic OT: .30-06 bullet choice for a 1000 yard shot.

OT: .30-06 bullet choice for a 1000 yard shot.

This will be out of a CZ550 American with a Millett 4-16x50 scope.

Never took a shot beyond 500 yards yet, so I'm looking for some recommendations.

• mauser
    replied
    Savoldi: Or not.

Leave a comment:

• savoldi
    replied

mauser wrote:

Never took a shot beyond 500 yards yet, so I'm looking for some recommendations.

Write 'I'm ****************ed up" on your forehead and turn yourself into the authorities. It would be best for the country.

Leave a comment:

• mauser
    replied
    Try as I might, I can't seem to get a .270 WSM to feed properly in either my CZ550 or M1 Garand.

Guess I'm stuck with. 30-06.

Leave a comment:

• mauser
    replied
    Minning: Sometimes being lucky is better than being good...but then I didn't start shooting yesterday.

Thanks though.

Leave a comment:

• Minning Around
    replied

If you hit anything at 1,000 yards it will be luck.

Leave a comment:

• mauser
    replied
    Thanks. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Zig al-din
    replied

Use faster, stronger bullets. 

Leave a comment:

• mauser
    replied
    I bought a CZ452 for my son a few years back, and he really loves it.

So do I....wish I'd bought two of them.

Leave a comment:

• mauser
    replied
    The CZ has a 24" barrel, but it isn't bedded.

I'm now thinking about experimenting with some magnum powders to gain a couple hundred fps. I saw some load data using MagPro and the same 200gr SMK that yielded nearly 2800fps MV. This is almost 300 more than RL17 or 4350.

Leave a comment:

• mauser
    replied
    I picked up a K31 a few years ago, but I don't shoot it much. I've never really been able to work up a good load for it, and the Swiss ammo is kinda pricey.

All the loads I've tried so far haven't done a good job of filling the case, and I get a lot of hangfires.

Leave a comment:

• mauser
    replied
    Dblazer: I have a couple K98s and a M48 that I load for. Also a 6.5x55 Swede made in 1913....one of the nicest and most accurate rifles I've ever shot.

If it's loaded to its potential, 8mm Mauser rivals the .30-06. Most American factory ammo is crap though. I think they're afraid someone will try to feed .323 food to a .318 Mauser.

Leave a comment:

• mauser
    replied
    Davo:: I've pretty much settled on 200gr SMKs and RL17. I'd like to try the Berger VLDs someday, but I think the ogive wouldn't work with my seater.

I'm going to press my stepson into service as my spotter. LOL

Leave a comment:

• nice keetee
    replied

mauser wrote:

probably a heavier bullet aimed way up high

Leave a comment:

• Davo17
    replied

mauser wrote:

3006 with modern powders rivals a 300 win mag, or at least gets close.  id look into the sierra 200 gr match kings, or even the very low drag 220 gr.  as for powder, a slower burner liker rl15 would work well...depends on berrel length too.  of course use fireformed cases and match primers.  id seat just shy of the lands, though depending your mag may inhibit this.

few other things to consider...is the scope of sufficient quality?  does it have sifficient elevation, are the rings up to the task?  are you busting targets or just shooting paper?  oh...there is a nice 155gr smk with a ballistic coefficient as high as the 175 gr out there...a high speed flatshooting load u might dig.

any experience with fire adjustment with a spotter?  you will need one.

congrats, btw cz makes some fine rifles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X