Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: .30-06 bullet choice for a 1000 yard shot.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: .30-06 bullet choice for a 1000 yard shot.

This will be out of a CZ550 American with a Millett 4-16x50 scope.

Never took a shot beyond 500 yards yet, so I'm looking for some recommendations.

it's a good round but 1000 yrds is a bit of a push. all you can do is try. weapon you are using is a good candidate.

how fortunate for governments, that the people do not think!In the past quarter century, we exposed biases against other races and called it racism, and we exposed biases against women and called it sexism. Biases against men we call humor.—Warren FarrellCanada: What Britain would become if it got fat and had its' nuts cut off.Obummer says I can has freeberty!

Comment

I know other calibers would be better, but I'd rather not have to invest in something that wouldn't see much use.

Adding another caliber to what I already handload isn't something I want to do either.

Comment

• fretmess
        fretmess commented
        Editing a comment

Sorry, I can't help you.

Fret: I wouldn't have expected you to....but I'm sure others can.

Thanks though.

Comment

• fretmess
        fretmess commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Fret: I wouldn't have expected you to....but I'm sure others can.

Thanks though.

Yeah, I need some help too.  I've got an STL  (Marti 15C) down.  The Motorola MHW812A3 rf amp is almost impossible to come by and very expensive.  Will the Motorola MHW806A3 at half the power (6 watts) be able to reach out about 20 miles?

I would say no. Too heavy of a round.

Why don't you just walk 500 yards closer?
      I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll be glad to take a look

Float like a butterfly, sting like VD

What happens up north, stays up north

Comment

• Hoddy
        Hoddy commented
        Editing a comment

55gibby wrote:

That's a long way to walk...I'd be plumb tuckered out.

• mauser
        mauser commented
        Editing a comment

55gibby wrote:

"No" really isn't an option.

1000 yard shooting competitions generally frown on shooting from 500 yards.

Just do the math for your answer. If you're just punching paper is way different than dropping a deer
      I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll be glad to take a look

Float like a butterfly, sting like VD

What happens up north, stays up north

Comment

• Bowe
        Bowe commented
        Editing a comment
        Google

I've got a savage 110 FP that I use to push .300 mags with. I can get up to 1,200 m with that, but that's pushing the upper limits of what the round will do.

Boo

Comment

My .308. You keep tryin though.

Comment

• mauser
          mauser commented
          Editing a comment

Chaunch wrote:

My .308. You keep tryin though.

What are you using in your .308?

Chaunch: thanks

Comment

Dblazer: Thanks

Comment

• dblazer
          dblazer commented
          Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
          Dblazer: Thanks

You're welcome. The .30-06 is the greatest 100 year old cartridge design on earth. The 8mm Mauser came along in 1905 and I liked it and handloaded for it too, in the old M98 rifles it was as accurate as anything, and threw a little bigger bullet, .311 vs .308 with the same stability in a slightly better action than the 1903-A3 and 1917 Enfield rifles (IMO, of course). A light bullet in the Mauser was my ground hog round until I could afford the first .25-06 I had on a Winchester model 70 action.

Big fun, for sure.

Rudolf: I doubt my. 30-30 or AK would be very effective at 700 meters

Comment

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
          Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
          Rudolf: I doubt my. 30-30 or AK would be very effective at 700 meters

it's okay for 400 metres, respectively when you live in the city on the 32nd floor then the Talliban **************************** which is on the 28th floor in the next building...

mauser wrote:

Never took a shot beyond 500 yards yet, so I'm looking for some recommendations.

3006 with modern powders rivals a 300 win mag, or at least gets close.  id look into the sierra 200 gr match kings, or even the very low drag 220 gr.  as for powder, a slower burner liker rl15 would work well...depends on berrel length too.  of course use fireformed cases and match primers.  id seat just shy of the lands, though depending your mag may inhibit this.

few other things to consider...is the scope of sufficient quality?  does it have sifficient elevation, are the rings up to the task?  are you busting targets or just shooting paper?  oh...there is a nice 155gr smk with a ballistic coefficient as high as the 175 gr out there...a high speed flatshooting load u might dig.

any experience with fire adjustment with a spotter?  you will need one.

congrats, btw cz makes some fine rifles.

Comment

mauser wrote:

probably a heavier bullet aimed way up high

Comment

Davo:: I've pretty much settled on 200gr SMKs and RL17. I'd like to try the Berger VLDs someday, but I think the ogive wouldn't work with my seater.

I'm going to press my stepson into service as my spotter. LOL

Comment

• Davo17
              Davo17 commented
              Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
              Davo:: I've pretty much settled on 200gr SMKs and RL17. I'd like to try the Berger VLDs someday, but I think the ogive wouldn't work with my seater.

I'm going to press my stepson into service as my spotter. LOL

awesomw, sounds like a great loading, i dont think you can even stuff enough of that nice slow buening powder into the case to get any overpressure.  whats your barrel length?  is the rifle bedded? 

i plan to get a heavy barreled cz 452 american soon btw....

Dblazer: I have a couple K98s and a M48 that I load for. Also a 6.5x55 Swede made in 1913....one of the nicest and most accurate rifles I've ever shot.

If it's loaded to its potential, 8mm Mauser rivals the .30-06. Most American factory ammo is crap though. I think they're afraid someone will try to feed .323 food to a .318 Mauser.

Comment

Working...
            X