Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Sailing Just a Glorified Hobby?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Sailing Just a Glorified Hobby?

    I mean, what is the current NEED for sailboats? Any sailboat, anywhere? I can see some third world fishermen needing to use crude, home made sails in the absence of fossil fuels and engines, but in America?

    We have no need for any sailboats, for any reason. And people DROWN falling off of them.

    I think it's time for a national ban; they're just a nusaince that leads to death, and for no good purpose.


  • #2

    Register them. 

    Oh, wait, they do that already.  Sailboats must really be dangerous, just like you say.


    Current global warming temperature trend: 0.05ºC per decade, plus or minus 0.1ºC (source: UN IPCC AR5) ...Yes, the error rate is higher than the estimated rate of change.

    "Anthropogenic global warming is a proposed theory whose basic mechanism is well understood, but whose magnitude is highly uncertain. The growing evidence that climate models are too sensitive to CO2 has implications for the attribution of late-20th-century warming and projections of 21st-century climate. If the recent warming hiatus is caused by natural variability, then this raises the question as to what extent the warming between 1975 and 2000 can also be explained by natural climate variability." --Dr. Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology

    Comment


    • dblazer
      dblazer commented
      Editing a comment

      rbstern wrote:

      Register them. 

      Oh, wait, they do that already.  Sailboats must really be dangerous, just like you say.


      If they outlaw sailboats, won't only outlaws have sailboats?


    • planteater-X
      planteater-X commented
      Editing a comment

      No registration, insurance or licensing of boats required in the UK.

       

      Sailing > shooting in just about every way.


    • willy-b
      willy-b commented
      Editing a comment

      rbstern wrote:

      Register them. 

      Oh, wait, they do that already.  Sailboats must really be dangerous, just like you say.



      rbstern wrote:

      Register them. 

      Oh, wait, they do that already.  Sailboats must really be dangerous, just like you say.


      I assume it's a joke, but actually yeah.  They can be really dangerous - not just to the people on them, or even the people who have to go rescue them, but unqualified captains can really really cause a lot of problems in navigation for other craft and people on the water.


  • #3

    dblazer wrote:

    I mean, what is the current NEED for sailboats? Any sailboat, anywhere? I can see some third world fishermen needing to use crude, home made sails in the absence of fossil fuels and engines, but in America?

    We have no need for any sailboats, for any reason. And people DROWN falling off of them.

    I think it's time for a national ban; they're just a nusaince that leads to death, and for no good purpose.


    Good point, and of course we have all the incidences of sailboat massacre in schools.

    Question: Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?


    Answer: because it was dead.

    Comment


    • dblazer
      dblazer commented
      Editing a comment

      Gromit wrote:

      dblazer wrote:

      I mean, what is the current NEED for sailboats? Any sailboat, anywhere? I can see some third world fishermen needing to use crude, home made sails in the absence of fossil fuels and engines, but in America?

      We have no need for any sailboats, for any reason. And people DROWN falling off of them.

      I think it's time for a national ban; they're just a nusaince that leads to death, and for no good purpose.


      Good point, and of course we have all the incidences of sailboat massacre in schools.


      Far more people die annually in sailboat related drownings than do in school massacres, on average only two people are killed in schools annually. How many do you figure fall off a sailboat and drown?


  • #4

    dblazer wrote:

    I mean, what is the current NEED for sailboats? Any sailboat, anywhere? I can see some third world fishermen needing to use crude, home made sails in the absence of fossil fuels and engines, but in America?

    We have no need for any sailboats, for any reason. And people DROWN falling off of them.

    I think it's time for a national ban; they're just a nusaince that leads to death, and for no good purpose.


     

    San you link to any mass killings of school-children via a sail-boat?

    Kinda disappointed that you, of all people, would buy into the NRA-induced paranoia, Dave...

    Comment


    • dblazer
      dblazer commented
      Editing a comment

      Graeca wrote:

      dblazer wrote:

      I mean, what is the current NEED for sailboats? Any sailboat, anywhere? I can see some third world fishermen needing to use crude, home made sails in the absence of fossil fuels and engines, but in America?

      We have no need for any sailboats, for any reason. And people DROWN falling off of them.

      I think it's time for a national ban; they're just a nusaince that leads to death, and for no good purpose.


       

      San you link to any mass killings of school-children via a sail-boat?

      Kinda disappointed that you, of all people, would buy into the NRA-induced paranoia, Dave...


      The thread addresses the parrots saying; :"Who NEEDS a semi-auto military style rifle?", not sailboat vs gun deaths.

      I'm not paranoid at all, and I don't like the N.R.A., specifically I think that Wayne LaPierre is a paranoid fearmonger, but the FACT is that the average number of children killed anually in school "masacres' since 1927, when they first occured, is two (2) annually.

      Just because Conservatives are wrong MOST of the time doesn't mean that they're wrong ALL of the time.

      I've had guns since I was 11 years old, over 50 years now. What we need to do is find out why some people see them as applicable as a solution to their social and economic ills, and others don't.

      Even at the lowest point of my life, when my 1st wife and I were going through some really bad ****************, I never even considered shooting the rotten bastard who was most central to my dilemma. Why is that?

      The fact that somebody sees a gun as a solution to needing some spending money is the problem, or just plain craziness in many cases. That doesn't apply to 99.9997% of American gun owners.


  • #5

    ****************, Blazer, why do you et al keep coming up with this idiot analogy.  Guns are for killing and for nothing else.  Even target weapons are merely optimized for sighting.

    The same arguments about the 2nd amendment keep being made--that there's NO restrictions on what kind of arms anyone in the US can have--including your own cruise missile or F-16 or tactical nuclear weapon.

    This is just bull**************** because EVERY right defined in the Constitution is subject to limits, including the rights in the main body of the Constitution, like Habeas Corpus.  Most of the limits are sensible and obvious:

    Freedom of the practice of your religion doesn't allow you to sacrifice virgins to your gods. 

    You cannot cry "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

    Your right to an attorney doesn't include having the attorney pass criminal instructions to others. 

    Your "assumption of innocence until proven guilty" doesn't allow you to use funds you got from suspected criminal activity in your defense. 

    Your right to not have "Cruel and Unusual Punishment" is limited to whatever the Courts and legislation deem to be uncruel and usual.

    Your right to a "speedy trial" isn't defined.  Is speedy 2 hours or 2 years?

    Your right against self-incrimination is violated all the time through the use of limited immunity, immunity that may be valid in one jurisdiction, like a state court, but not recognized in a federal court.

    You cannot claim "Freedom of speech" when that speech includes a criminal conspiracy.

    Even your most fundamental right, the right to vote, can be taken from you by any state or the military.

    Some limits we agree with, some we don't.  The 2nd Amendment is not an exception to the Constitution.  It's worded vaguely, somewhat ambiguously, and uses terms that are somewhat archaic.  Besides, I KNOW there are limits even the most avid NRA types agree with, like removing the right to keep and bear arms of ANY kind from prisoners.
     

    Yeah, that sounds stupid: "Of COURSE prisoners cannot have guns!" But it proves that the "right to keep and bear arms" DOES have limits and is not absolute.  Even the majority of NRA members believe background checks are appropriate before you can acquire a gun, ie, an ACCEPTABLE limit on gun ownership.

    The question then becomes one of degree.  Where is the line drawn?

     

    In the story attributed variously (and in variations) to Oscar Wilde, Winston Churchill and Groucho Marx

    "Would you marry that rich old baron for his money?"

    "Why, yes!"

    "Well would you sleep with that handsome young soldier for a fiver?"

    "Sir! What do you think I am?

    "We've established that.  Now we're just haggling!"

    Comment


    • planteater-X
      planteater-X commented
      Editing a comment
      Just checking in to see if the forum has improved - it hasn't.

      Shame to see Dblazer losing his mind.

      Great to see Mauser back after a long break, though. Was he in prison or did he have another breakdown?

    • dblazer
      dblazer commented
      Editing a comment

      yanktar wrote:

      ****************, Blazer, why do you et al keep coming up with this idiot analogy.  Guns are for killing and for nothing else.  Even target weapons are merely optimized for sighting . . .


      That's absolutely not true, if guns were only used for killing the entire population of the U.S. would be dead.

      The PRIMARY use for guns is shooting at targets, by an enormous margin.

      If there are 350,000,000 million guns in the U.S., and it could be more than that, and 15,000 are used to kill someone, how can you even remotely suggest that killing is their "only" purpose?

      It's unsupportable, and you know it.


  • #6

    dblazer wrote:

    I mean, what is the current NEED for sailboats? Any sailboat, anywhere? I can see some third world fishermen needing to use crude, home made sails in the absence of fossil fuels and engines, but in America?

    We have no need for any sailboats, for any reason. And people DROWN falling off of them.

    I think it's time for a national ban; they're just a nusaince that leads to death, and for no good purpose.


    lol @ this dull dickless ****************

    Comment


    • larry50
      larry50 commented
      Editing a comment

      trainset wrote:

      dblazer wrote:

      I mean, what is the current NEED for sailboats? Any sailboat, anywhere? I can see some third world fishermen needing to use crude, home made sails in the absence of fossil fuels and engines, but in America?

      We have no need for any sailboats, for any reason. And people DROWN falling off of them.

      I think it's time for a national ban; they're just a nusaince that leads to death, and for no good purpose.


      lol @ this dull dickless ****************


      I think you need to fine tune your sarcasm meter. 


    • dblazer
      dblazer commented
      Editing a comment

      trainset wrote:

      dblazer wrote:

      I mean, what is the current NEED for sailboats? Any sailboat, anywhere? I can see some third world fishermen needing to use crude, home made sails in the absence of fossil fuels and engines, but in America?

      We have no need for any sailboats, for any reason. And people DROWN falling off of them.

      I think it's time for a national ban; they're just a nusaince that leads to death, and for no good purpose.


      lol @ this dull dickless ****************


      Speaking of "dull, dickless ****************s", that's all you've ever been, and all you'll ever be, so you are an expert on the subject.


  • #7

    "Yacht-fight at the OK Marina"

    Comment


    • #8

      dblazer wrote:

      I mean, what is the current NEED for sailboats? Any sailboat, anywhere? I can see some third world fishermen needing to use crude, home made sails in the absence of fossil fuels and engines, but in America?

      We have no need for any sailboats, for any reason. And people DROWN falling off of them.

      I think it's time for a national ban; they're just a nusaince that leads to death, and for no good purpose.


       

      For the most part, yes; especially if you've got a dinghy or "day sailor." There are bigger boats that people live on and in a few cases, sail long distances. But that's like owning a Winnebago that you can't walk from to the nearest gas station when something goes wrong. And of course, you stand a much better chance of drowning if you get a leak.

      __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________
      How Come Other People Can Get Away With Jokes Like That?

      Face it Tea Bagging Neo-Cons...if Reagan ran today, you'd be calling him a RINO socialist! -- scott666

      Barack Obama must be kenyan - everytime he speaks they trot a translator out the next day to explain what he said.-- ToBeAnnounced

      And even then some people still don't understand.-- RogueGnome

      Comment


      • #9
        Most people can't even afford to sail, and we know exactly which members of society actually own a private yacht...

        Keep them legal, it's a good means of carrying out class warfare.
        Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky


        Whenever you hear anything said very confidently, the first thing that should come to mind is, wait a minute is that true?

        Comment


        • BA.Barcolounger
          BA.Barcolounger commented
          Editing a comment

          I totally skipped over this thread, so someone might have made this point already...

          Boats are titled, registered, and licensed. Transfers of ownership are reported to the government, and the government stores that information in a database indefinately.

           

          Sure, lets treat guns like boats. No problem.


      • #10

        dblazer wrote:

        I mean, what is the current NEED for sailboats? Any sailboat, anywhere? I can see some third world fishermen needing to use crude, home made sails in the absence of fossil fuels and engines, but in America?

        We have no need for any sailboats, for any reason. And people DROWN falling off of them.

        I think it's time for a national ban; they're just a nusaince that leads to death, and for no good purpose.


        If there were 30K boating related fatalities in the US each year, you might have a point...

        Comment



        Working...
        X